Do the Mormons worship Jesus?

Even this isn’t biblically correct. All men (and women) are sinful, and Jesus was crucified for our sins. There is nothing about a “contrite” heart, nothing about having to meet certain qualifications to know Jesus died for one’s sins. He died for the sins of all mankind, even those who do not believe in Him.

2 Likes

Please see this entry in New Advent on the topic of contrition.

I know what contrition is. Nothing in that New Advent article opposes what I wrote above. The crucifixion of Christ for the sins of all mankind is one thing. Individuals accepting this amazing gift is another. Jesus Christ did NOT die for the sins of only some people, he died for the sins of all, even those who do not accept him.

I would even go as far as saying the LDS have not accepted the grace that Jesus Christ died for them as they refuse to accept the biblical truth of who Jesus Christ is. They deny His words of truth found in the bible and from oral traditions of who he tells us he is. However, since Christ died for us all, there is still time to accept his sacrifice. We have our whole lives to become Christian, but once we die we are left to the mercy of God.

1 Like

I don’t have the book on me, but in the book inside Mormonism, which cites its sources, states that a Mormon leader claimed in the early 80s, I believe it was that Mormons are not to have relationship with Christ. I’m at my sister’s house right now, so I don’t have the book on me, but if someone could please give that quote I would appreciate it.

I don’t know anything about this, but I Googled and found this:

Mormon Apostle and apologist Bruce McConkie warns: “I shall speak of our relationship with the Lord and of the true fellowship all saints should have with the Father. I shall set forth what we must believe relative to the Father and the Son in order to gain eternal life…many false and vain and foolish things are being taught in the sectarian world and even among us about our need to gain a special relationship with the Lord Jesus…gaining a special relationship with Christ is both improper and perilous…now I know that some may be offended at the counsel that they should NOT strive for a special and personal relationship with Christ…you have been warned, and you have heard the true doctrine taught” (from a speech given at a B.Y.U. devotional on March 2, 1982).

Again, I have not verified this source. It’s just something I found.

I dug a little deeper and saw that the author of the article I posted above conveniently deleted the word “that,” which changes everything.

. . . gaining a special relationship with Christ that is both improper and perilous . . .

So, I don’t think that anything I shared is of much use to your question.

If the church of Christ ceased to exist through apostasy then God would have been a liar. The gates of hell would have prevailed. The Mormon church like every other religion outside the parameters Jesus set is FALSE. That’s not mean or nasty but true!
And what is most ironic is the number of non Christians and non Christian groups who desperately want to identify as Christians. How many non Muslims do you know who will even write their own holy book of “scriptures” so as to claim the title Muslim?

I think this is a distinction without a difference, and the passage from the D&C is actually in line with Catholic belief.

“… for the remission of sins unto the contrite of heart” denotes that the effects of Christ’s passion are conditional upon acceptance of Christ’s free gift that is given to all. Mormons are not Calvinists, and neither are we. And neither they nor we are Universalists. Do you remember the change in the English liturgy back in 2011? The erroneously translated “for you and for all” had to be corrected to “for you and for many” that is “this is the chalice of my blood of the new and eternal covenant that will be shed for you and for many (not all) unto the remission of sins.”

2 Likes

Anyone who makes such a claim is either extremely ignorant or extremely deceitful. Scripture demands such a relationship.

John 17:3 Now this is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

The scriptures that Catholics rely to claim that the early Christian church was indestructible and infallible are very similar to those verses in the Old Testament stating that the Jews would never cease to be God’s chosen people.

This is what the Lord says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day, who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that it waves roar—the Lord Almighty is his name: “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,” declares the Lord, “will the descendants of Israel ever cease to be a nation before me.” This is what the Lord says: “Only if the heavens above can be measured and the foundations of the earth below be searched out will I reject all the descendants of Israel because of all they have done,” declares the Lord. (Jer 31:35-37)

Are you under the impression that they have ceased to be so? If so, why?

1 Like

There is nothing to be learned from a false prophet other than to ignore him is best. The devil loves to quote, misquote, and take Scripture from its context. Mormonism is a religion. Islam is a religion. Hinduism is a religion. Catholicism is a religion. Catholicism is the fulness of the Christian faith and the true Christian religion.

I am under that impression. How about you?

Matthew 21:43 Therefore, I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that will produce its fruit.

Matthew 23:37 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her young under her wings, but you were unwilling!

Are you saying that Jeremiah is a false prophet?

Why do you believe that to be the case? Thanks in advance!

Nope. Because I don’t cherrypick verses. If you keep reading in Mt 21, you see that the reference was to the chief priests and Pharisees. In other words, specific individuals, not all Jews. I would say nice try, but it really wasn’t. The other citation, aside from being specific to Jerusalem, is reminiscent of the many times that the Jewish people strayed from the correct path and were rebuked, but never ceased to be the chosen people. The Jews were named as chosen people by God in a series of covenants, and God does not break covenants.

1 Like

You are correct. God does not break covenants. But people break their covenants with God as did the Jews.

Jeremiah 22:9
Then they shall answer, Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD their God, and worshipped other gods, and served them.

Ezekiel 16:59
For thus said the Lord GOD; I will even deal with you as you have done, which have despised the oath in breaking the covenant.

Hebrews 8:9
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, said the Lord.

Joseph Smith was a false prophet. And you know that’s exactly who I was referring to. Mormonism is not another Christian denomination regardless of how desperately they want to be identified as such. Why can’t you just be honest and happily state what you are. Plural marriage is not what it takes to earn one’s place in the celestial kingdom. How many wives did the “propher” have and how old was the youngest girl he married? He wasn’t martyred either. He was shot trying to break out of jail. The pageant can portray it however they wish. It’s still a sham leading 1000s into the millions to a horrible end.

5 Likes

He would be proud of Warren Jeff’s.

Verse-sling all you want, but God does not break covenants even when others do. He sometimes punishes those who break them, but He does not.

2 Likes

I think you have given the definitive answer to the op’s question!

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.