Do these passages refute John 3:11?

To refute the Catholic position that Baptism is the “water and spirit” mentioned in John chapter 3, an anti-catholic points to verses like these to say that Baptism is only of water…

How do I answer?

MT 3:11 I am baptizing you with water, for repentance, but the one who is coming after me is mightier than I.I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the holy Spirit and fire.

MK 1:8 I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the holy Spirit."

LK 3:16 John answered them all, saying, "I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize you with the holy Spirit and fire.

JN 1:26 John answered them, "I baptize with water; but there is one among you whom you do not recognize,

JN 1:31 I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel."

JN 1:33 I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.’

ACTS 1:5 for John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the holy Spirit."

ACTS 11:16 and I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said, ‘John baptized with water but you will be baptized with the holy Spirit.’

Hi,

From the passages you cite, it is abundantly clear that the baptism of John the Baptist was of water only. Certainly, the Catholic Church acknowledges this. It was not a sacrament and it certainly was not Jesus’ baptism. It was merely a symbol.

But in no way do they refute the statement of Jesus in John 3:5: “I tell you most solemnly, unless a man is born through water and the Holy Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God”. This Catholic Answers tract should be of help:

[LIST]
*]Are Catholics Born Again?
[/LIST]

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.