Do those in Heaven rejoice regarding those in Hell?

Do those who make it to Heaven rejoice in knowing of others who have gone to Hell?

Would I, for instance, rejoice if I got to Heaven and learned that my mother chose damnation? Or my daughter?

If not, what would my reaction be?

Whatever regret you feel about your family members’ choices, it will be overpowered by the immeasurable joy of Heaven.

I think of it like this: in heaven, we will view everything from God’s perspective and see things just as He sees them. God cannot be pleased to send people to Hell for He desires all to turn to Him and be saved; but no one would doubt that God is eternally happy in Himself. The same will be true of us.

So … we will feel regret in Heaven?

God cannot, and does not do anything that does not please him. It does please him to send people to hell and if we are fortunate enough to be with him it will please us to see even our closest love ones burning in hell for that is the just will of God.

But what regret we feel is infinitely less than our joy.

In heaven the focus is God and God alone. I guess my question is why would anyone rejoice about someone going to hell? Are we not supposed to love on another? I would say if one is rejoicing about someone going to hell, not that we could know this on earth, you have problems and I suggest you find a priest and go to confession immediately.

But what about our specific reaction to the knowledge that some are in Hell? Will we not rejoice in these individuals as signs of God’s perfect justice and power? Will we not see the inherent love of sin and evil within them (even a close family member) and rejoice that God’s justice has answered it?

But doesn’t our Church teach that we do not feel such emotions in Heaven?

In heaven you will not feel these emotions. You are thinking to much like a human. When we die we will hopefully be going to purgatory and not the other direction. There may be a couple who make it directl;y to heaven but most of us will be making a pit stop along the way to be purified. During this purification we will be cleansed of our earthly desires, feelings, emotions. We will become pure love and desire nothing but God.

I’m not rejoicing. But I’m not in Heaven.

Incidentally, it was my priest who first shared this insight with me. I found it intriguing. Scripture seems to agree:

Revelation 16:5-7 - “And I heard the angel of the waters saying, ‘Righteous art Thou who art and who wast, O Holy One, because Thou didst judge these things; for they poured out the blood of saints and prophets, and Thou hast given them blood to drink. They deserve it.’ And I heard the altar saying, ‘Yes, O Lord God, the Almighty, true and righteous are Thy judgments.’”

Revelation 18:20 - “Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you saints and apostles and prophets, because God has pronounced judgment for you against her”

Revelation 19:1-3 - “‘Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God; because His judgments are true and righteous; for he has judged the great harlot who was corrupting the earth with her immorality, and has avenged the blood of His bondservants on her.’ And a second time they said, ‘Hallelujah! Her smoke rises up forever and ever’”

Proverbs 21:15 - “The execution of justice is joy for the righteous.”

Exodus 15:1-12 - Moses rejoiced and sang God’s praises when he saw God’s glory manifested in the destruction of Pharaoh and all his forces

Where is it taught that those in Heaven will have knowledge of who is in Hell?

I would think it unlikely that those in Heaven would even concern themselves with those in Hell.

I don’t have my Bible handy, but I think Jesus addressed a question about someone going to Heaven, and who would they be married to…that scripture may prove helpful in answering the topic of this thread :thumbsup:

What emotion? Joy? I’m sure we will feel joy in Heaven. Isn’t that part of our Catholic beliefs.

You are thinking to much like a human.

Will we not be humans in Heaven?

When we die we will hopefully be going to purgatory and not the other direction. There may be a couple who make it directl;y to heaven but most of us will be making a pit stop along the way to be purified. During this purification we will be cleansed of our earthly desires, feelings, emotions.

Isn’t love an emotion? Where are we taught that Purgatory will clean us of this? Or of joy?

Right here, I think you understand the concept very well. :thumbsup:

The Church teaches that, at the final judgement, our fates will be revealed to all. Scripture also teaches it:

Isaiah 66:23-24: “‘All mankind will come to bow down before Me’ says the Lord. ‘Then they shall go forth and look on the corpses of the men who have transgressed against Me. For their worm shall not die and their fire shall not be quenched; and they shall be an abhorrence to all mankind.’”

I would think it unlikely that those in Heaven would even concern themselves with those in Hell.

See Scriptural references in my earlier post.

I don’t have my Bible handy, but I think Jesus addressed a question about someone going to Heaven, and who would they be married to…that scripture may prove helpful in answering the topic of this thread :thumbsup:

I’m not sure how, but I’m open to explanation. Thanks.

“The blessed in the heavenly kingdom will see the torment of the damned so they may even more thoroughly enjoy their blessedness” - St. Thomas Aquinas

Peter Lombard, the Master of Sentences
"Therefore the elect shall go forth.to see the torments of the impious, seeing which they will not be grieved, but will be satiated with joy at the sight of the unutterable calamity of the impious ." Sent. Iv 50, ad fin

Gerhard
".the Blessed will see their friends and relations among the damned as often as they like but without the least of compassion."

Andrew Welwood

(speaks of the saints as being) “overjoyed in beholding the vengeance of God ,” and their beholding of the smoke of the torment of the wicked as “a passing delectation.”

Samuel Hopkins
"This display of the divine character will be most entertaining to all who love God, will give them the highest and most ineffable pleasure. Should the fire of this eternal punishment cease, it would in a great measure obscure the light of heaven, and put an end to a great part of the happiness and glory of the blessed."

Bishop Newcomb
"The door of mercy will be shut and all bowels of compassion denied, by God, who will laugh at their destruction; by angels and saints, who will rejoice when they see the vengeance’ by their fellow-suffer the devil and the damned rejoicing over their misery." Catechetical Sermons

Tertullian

“At that greatest of all spectacles, that last and eternal judgment how shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness; so many magistrates liquefying in fiercer flames than they ever kindled against the Christians; so many sages philosophers blushing in red-hot fires with their deluded pupils; so many tragedians more tuneful in the expression of their own sufferings; so many dancers tripping more nimbly from anguish then ever before from applause.”

“What a spectacle. . .when the world. . .and its many products, shall be consumed in one great flame! How vast a spectacle then bursts upon the eye! What there excites my admiration? What my derision? Which sight gives me joy? As I see. . .illustrious monarchs. . . groaning in the lowest darkness, Philosophers. . .as fire consumes them! Poets trembling before the judgment-seat of. . .Christ! I shall hear the tragedians, louder-voiced in their own calamity; view play-actors. . .in the dissolving flame; behold wrestlers, not in their gymnasia, but tossing in the fiery billows. . .What inquisitor or priest in his munificence will bestow on you the favor of seeing and exulting in such things as these? Yet even now we in a measure have them by faith in the picturings of imagination.” [De Spectaculis, Chapter XXX]

Augustine

“They who shall enter into [the] joy [of the Lord] shall know what is going on outside in the outer darkness. . .The saints’. . . knowledge, which shall be great, shall keep them acquainted. . .with the eternal sufferings of the lost.” [The City of God, Book 20, Chapter 22, “What is Meant by the Good Going Out to See the Punishment of the Wicked” & Book 22, Chapter 30, “Of the Eternal Felicity of the City of God, and of the Perpetual Sabbath”]

Thomas Aquinas

In order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned. . .So that they may be urged the more to praise God. . .The saints in heaven know distinctly all that happens. . .to the damned. [Summa Theologica, Third Part, Supplement, Question XCIV, “Of the Relations of the Saints Towards the Damned,” First Article, “Whether the Blessed in Heaven Will See the Sufferings of the Damned. . .”]

“The same fire” (which he decides to be material) " torments the damned in hell and the just in purgatory.The least pain in purgatory exceeds the greatest in this life." Summa Theo. Suppl. Qu. 100, acts. 2, n. 3.

Jonathan Edwards

“The view of the misery of the damned will double the ardour of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven.”

The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. . .Can the believing father in Heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in Hell. . . I tell you, yea! Such will be his sense of justice that it will increase rather than diminish his bliss.

“The Eternity of Hell Torments” (Sermon), April 1739 & Discourses on Various Important Subjects, 1738]

Thomas Boston, Scottish preacher, 1732

“God shall not pity them but laugh at their calamity. The righteous company in heaven shall rejoice in the execution of God’s judgment, and shall sing while the smoke riseth up for ever.”

Isaac Watts:

During America ‘s “Great Awakening” the popular hymn writer, Isaac Watts (1674-1748), even set Christians’ feet to tapping with this crisp little verse:

What bliss will fill the ransomed souls,

When they in glory dwell,

To see the sinner as he rolls,

In quenchless flames of hell.

St. Anthony Mary Claret

“Once [a soul] is condemned by God, then God’s friends agree in God’s judgment and condemnation. For all eternity they will not have a kind thought for this wretch. Rather they will be satisfied to see him in the flames as a victim of God’s justice. (“The just shall rejoice when he shall see the revenge . . .” Psalm 57:11) They will abhor him. A mother will look from paradise upon her own condemned son without being moved, as though she had never known him.”-- “The Pains of Hell,” Ignatian Spiritual Exercises, consisting of thirty-five meditations from The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius as explained by St. Anthony Mary Claret. St. Claret’s “explanations” were written in Spanish in the late 1800’s.

But from the looks of it, I think you and I might just be in the minority regarding this view. :shrug:

Let me revise my statement. We will be clenased of our negative feelings/emotions. We will not be capable of hatred, lust, greed, envy, etc. We will become pure. We will be total love. We will have joy for we will be with God.

No we will not be human in the sense that we are on earth. On the last day, the final judgement, our human bodies will be raised up and reunited with our soul in heaven but this certainly does not mean we will be human. Do you disagree?

Great quote. Is this from the Summa? Any reference available so I can read at more length?

My window must not have opened your whole post, because I’ve just seen all the other great quotes (I’m adding this part in an edit). Did you have all of that compiled already? Great information for this thread. Thank you.

I guess I do. I’ve never heard it expressed that we cease being human. Surely we are glorified and become fully members of the body of Christ, fully joined with our bridegroom Christ.

I agree that our state will be different than on earth, but if we are not human, what would we be called? I think this is just a semantics issue. I could be wrong; perhaps others will jump in and clarify.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.