Do unbaptized babies go to Limbo?

Is there a Limbo for unbaptized infants? What are your thoughts? Oh and before you post, please and please remember that Purgatory and Limbo are DIFFERENT PLACES.

But that is not what the Church Teaches. That is the Church Teaches that Purgatory is not a place at all but a state.

I voted that only God knows because the Church has not issued a definitive statement on where they go. Personally I lean towards limbo over heaven but I go back and forth

Ditto.
So, the only safe answer is “Only God knows”.

If Limbo is a reality, i feel that, in the next life, those in Limbo would be PHYSICALLY present with those in Heaven. The “only” difference would be the absence of the Beatific Vision.
Anyway, we know that God is perfectly fair, and there`d be no sense of loss.
Spending forever learning more and more about God would be a perfectly happy pursuit.

Only God knows. And we have to TRUST in him.

[INDENT][INDENT]**
1261** As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and ***Jesus’ ***tenderness toward children which caused him to say: ***“Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,” ***64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to **Christ **through the gift of holy Baptism. - The Catechism of the Catholic Church[/INDENT][/INDENT]

+What a blessing it is that our wonderful Lord has given us . . . The Catechism of the Catholic Church . . . *through our Holy Mother Church *. . . what a wonderful comfort and gracious gift for this particularly difficult day and age we live in . . . another beautiful passage from Sacred :bible1: Scripture is recorded below . . .

"Even so it is not the will of your Father,
who is in heaven,
that one of these little ones should perish.”
Matthew 18:14
:bible1:
***+ Thank You Lord . . . to God be the Glory + ***

The Catechism section referenced in the above quote . . . also contains Scripture references for the section on Baptism . . . and this loving portion in the Holy :bible1: Bible is referenced below . . . which again reflects our *****Lord’s ***Blessed Sacred :heart: Heart’s **tender, deep and profound . . . everlasting . . . holy love for children . . .

:bible1: And they brought to him young children, that he might touch them. And the disciples rebuked them that brought them. Whom when Jesus saw, he was much displeased, and saith to them: Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not; for of such is the kingdom of God. Amen I say to you, whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, shall not enter into it. And embracing them, and laying his hands upon them, he blessed them." Mark 10:13-16

As far as limbo is concerned . . . I have read and heard several discussions and commentaries on this subject . . . on EWTN in particular . . . that the Church is no longer promulgating any belief in limbo, in fact they are discouraging any belief in same and the unfounded concept of limbo is no longer being taught in Catholic seminaries . . . the reason being that there is nothing in **Sacred :bible1: Scripture **or **Sacred Tradition **which gives any foundation whatsoever for belief in such a place . . . below is a Vatican link re discussion of the subject of unbaptized babies and Limbo . . .

:compcoff:** Vatican Link: **vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord+
. . . thank you Blessed Virgin Mary our Mother+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
:signofcross:
[/RIGHT]

Since Jews do not practice baptism and do not believe in Limbo–but do believe in Purgatory–I said they go to heaven. This is not the official position according to Judaism, which is that only G-d knows where anyone goes after death (probably most of us go to Purgatory first, though), but it is my view. I agree with Billy Graham on this one.

+Your input from a Jewish perspective is much appreciated meltzerboy . . . and opens up the door to broaden the scope of the question to include the Old :bible1: Testament Scripture also and mankind in that period of time . . . the Lord blessed my life for many years with work as a church secretary . . . and the only portion of **Sacred :bible1: Scripture **. . . *(that I, personally, have ever heard of) *. . . which actually deals specifically with this subject . . . *(and it is actually very positive eternally speaking) *. . . is found in the Old :bible1: Testament and deals with the passing of King David’s infant son . . .

"And he said,
While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept for him:
for I said,
Who knoweth whether the Lord may not give him to me,
and the child may live?
But now that he is dead, why should I fast?
Shall I be able to bring him back any more?
I shall go to him rather,

but he shall not return to me.
And David comforted Bethsabee, his wife …
II Samuel 12:22-24a

The . . . very real . . . and very simple . . . little phrase in the above portion of Sacred :bible1: Scripture . . . "I shall go to him rather" . . . spoken by the great Psalmist of God . . . King David himself . . . who contributed . . . vast amounts . . . of Sacred Scripture to our Holy :bible1: Bible . . . is often used . . .in times of the death of an infant . . . and it is frequently used by the Church in comforting the families of those who have lost an infant . . . and as far as I know it is the only Scripture that directly speaks to the . . . **eternal **destination . . . and . . . eternal life . . . of the infant child . . . from a Jewish perspective . . . and it blends in beautiful harmony with our Lord’s command . . .

“But Jesus said to them,
Suffer the little children, and forbid them not
to come unto me:
for the kingdom of heaven is for such.”
Matthew 19:14

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
*. . . thank You Dear Blessed Lord+
. . . thank you Blessed Virgin Mary our Mother+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
*[/RIGHT]

I never had a problem with the concept of limbo. Even though it is theological specuation, it fits with the Scripture. It balances the requirement that one must be baptized to get to heaven with the faith in a merciful God. The way I was taught limbo, it is a place/state of perfect happiness but outside the beatific vision. I lost a child before he was born and I know he is happy and that he is cared for.

The Church’s teaching is that we simply do not know. For whatever reason, God has not chosen to reveal this to/through the Church.

Jesus_123, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Between the color shifts, the justification shifts and the “…”, your posts are impossible for me to read.

I personally hold to the view that Limbo is the dge of a hell, a part of hell. I also hold that the Church’s dogma:

“All those who die in mortal sin or in original sin alone descend to hell where they are punished, but with different punishments.”

I take that seriously.

SO I say, with Augustine, that the infant who dies without baptism does not experience life or happiness whatsoever in any place: For Christ alone is life, and we are all born justly condemned.

I chose “only God knows”, because it seems a thing A. indifferent to theology, and B. quite beyond our knowledge. Until God Himself declares it directly or via the Church, we cannot know. It is very presumptuous of us to even go near this subject. I personally am inclined to believe not, because they have no free will. The Church Herself confirms this by having its age-of-reason requirement. Free choice is needed to sin. :slight_smile:

In the belief of a a loving God, it is easy to believe that an innocent baby goes to heaven, as well as those of abortions and miscarriages.
Limbo goes back to the doctrine of original sin. It was a way to say that unbaptized infants didn’t go to hell. the teaching has changed with he belief that such decisions are in the loving hands of God,

I voted only God knows but am wondering who voted that they go to Hell:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.