Do Unitarian Universalists believe that all people are saved?

As the thread title says, do Unitarian Universalists believe that all people are saved?

Even racists? Even mass murderers? Even the likes of Hitler or Stalin?

For all practical purposes, most Christians today — even Catholics — believe in universal salvation. The only exception would be fundamentalist evangelical sects who believe in an absolutely sharp division between those who are “saved”, i.e., have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior, and everyone else in the world, who is damned according to their theology. (They do make an exception for children who are under the “age of accountability”, ca. 12 years. Not clear where they get this — it’s a variation on the theme of the Catholic “age of reason”, ca. 7 years.)

I don’t even think all Unitarian Universalists believe in God. They’re all over the map.

2 Likes

there was a dustup several years ago, when an attempt was made to require an affirmation of the existence of a supreme being mandatory.

It didn’t go over well, and wasn’t approved.

1 Like

Universal salvation is definitely NOT Catholic teaching.

4 Likes

UU’s don’t have universal beliefs. They are “Unitarian” (i.e. a place where all kinds of people are in unison with the support of the well being of each member’s spiritual existence) “Universalists” (i.e., they accept people of all beliefs…universal acceptance).

Catholics do not believe in universal salvation.

5 Likes

Neither do the Orthodox and ordinary Protestants.

Except of course maybe the OP has mistaken universal salvation for the possibility for all to be saved, which would be indeed true. Anyone can be saved in the end, but not everyone will be.

2 Likes

Actually there are Orthodox who hold to purgatorial universalism as espoused by St. Isaac the Syrian. Still a minority opinion. Some think it’s within the bounds of orthodoxy (David Bentley Hart, Metropolitan Hilarion), others think it’s heretical (Fr. John Whiteford, Fr. Lawrence).

2 Likes

Modern Unitarian Universalists don’t require any belief. It’s a “build your own religion” kind of religion. While it grew out of the Christian tradition, today there are UUs who are agnostic or from non-Christian religions.

Old fashioned Universalists such as Charles Chauncy of Boston taught that people might be sent to hell but it would be temporary place of purging (like purgatory but for non-Christians) but that eventually God’s love would win out and everyone would be saved. So, yes, a Hitler or Stalin would eventually be saved but they would presumably repent of their sins committed in life.

They do? Even for Hitler and Stalin?

1 Like

“Unitarian” refers to the Unitarian doctrine of God which denies the Trinity. “Universalism” refers to the idea that all will be saved. The Unitarian Universalist Association was created by a merger of the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America.

3 Likes

At the UU church I went to occasionally, it was about 50/50 the amount of people who believe in the Trinity. Same for universal salvation.

I’m sure that is true today, since you can believe anything you want and still be UU.

We as catholics can also believe those are saved, if they have a change of heart.

Lately you have been thinking a lot about the topic of salvation, don’t you?..

Universal salvation is most emphatically not the teaching of the Church, but the typical Catholic in the pew assumes that everyone is saved. Let me put it this way — do you ever hear of a Catholic, unless they are really “hard-line” doctrinally orthodox, expressing any doubt whatsoever that a person has not failed to save their soul?

Quite right. Your comment made me think of the children’s store “Build-A-Bear Workshop”!

For the really “bad boys”, a Catholic would simply sigh and mutter something about “entrusting them to God’s mercy” — which, by the way, is an entirely orthodox sentiment. That’s about all you can say.

Every day of my life, friend, every day of my life. The Four Last Things: Heaven, Hell, Death, and Judgment.

I do, and you should too. So should everybody else. Are you absolutely sure you are not going to die tomorrow?

Yeah, I was going to say- it’s hard to know exactly what Unitarian Universalists believe in.

Even back in the 1950’s, Unitarian Universalists were debating the existence of God.

I’m just kind of curious why they have churches

to provide the sense of community of a church without all the doctrine

That honestly sounds more like a social club

1 Like

yes, that’s mostly the point

Not really. There is a spiritual component to their services, that goes beyond socialization.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.