Do valid renewed vows override faulty wedding vows in annulment justification?

Recently our priest had the entire married congregation renew their vows during Mass. My wife and I gladly participated. A question arose in my mind. If the annulment tribunal could find a marriage at 18 invalid due to “immaturity” would not such a finding be negated if the couple latter validly renewed their vows at 30? It seems to me the valid renewed vows would kick in, legalize the marriage in the eyes of God, and any validity problems stemming from the original wedding could no longer be used in a later annulment proceedure.

If someone is married at 18, renews vows at 30, and wants an annulment at 40, I do not see how a marriage tribunal can skip over the renewed vows as if they never existed. Surely valid renewed vows at mass before a priest and God are just as binding as original valid wedding vows. Can the Church renew vows just for show? What do you think?

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

i would think the answer is yes or they wouldn’t be “Valid” renewed vows…

i could be wrong…

You can’t “renew” vows for a marriage that never existed. The vows taken at a renewal do not include the intention to confer the Sacrament again and therefore would not make their marriage valid.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]You can’t “renew” vows for a marriage that never existed. The vows taken at a renewal do not include the intention to confer the Sacrament again and therefore would not make their marriage valid.
[/quote]

If the marriage is convalidated then all defects in the marriage are fixed.

A marriage that has been convalidated marriage can never be annulled.

[quote=ByzCath]If the marriage is convalidated then all defects in the marriage are fixed.

A marriage that has been convalidated marriage can never be annulled.
[/quote]

Agreed, but convalidation is a wholly different process than the “renewal of wedding vows” ceremony that many parishes have.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.