Do we become angels?

I know there is life after death but is it right to say that when someone has died they are an angel in Heaven?:confused:

Angels are beings distinct/different from humans. To say that a human can turn to an angel would be like saying a cow can turn into a dog or a tree into a bird.

So humans do not become Angels (despite what popular culture shows us) so saying someone is an ‘angel’ may be alright metaphorically but not literally since that is impossible.

no when someone has died we say that we are praying for them and have hope of their being in heaven, and we acknowledge that they may first be in a state of purgation from the effects of any sins they may have committed on earth, and we pray for them during this time that they may quickly be released to heaven.

Humans do not become angels. Angels created as pure spirits. Angels are angels, humans are humans, two different orders of created intelligent beings endowed with immortal souls. Humans have human nature, angels have angelic nature.

Before someone asks, saying St Michael to refer to an angel is merely using the word saint in its original form as meaning sanctified, someone who enjoys the presence of God in heaven.

if someone in a time of grief makes that statement with intent to offer comfort, do not correct them at that time, which would be unfeeling, but you can gently teach children or others who may have heard this statement an another appropriate time.

From HERE
Luke Chapter 20 (Emphasis mine)

29 Now there were seven brothers; the first married a woman but died childless. 30 Then the second 31 and the third married her, and likewise all the seven died childless. 32 Finally the woman also died. 33 Now at the resurrection whose wife will that woman be? For all seven had been married to her." 34 Jesus said to them, "The children of this age marry and remarry; 35 but those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 They can no longer die, for they are like angels; and they are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise. 9

LIKE angels - not actually angels.

~Liza

Thanks for the replies— but this brought up another confusing topic for me. I beleive God is the God of the living but can we still talk to our loved ones that have passed away? Can they hear us? Are they Watching over us?

To answer the question above, find a part in the Bible where it says anything about being able to communicate with those who have passed on…

I dont think you will find a single verse, at least not in the protestant Bible that I know… Catholic might think differently?

In a sense, I think so. Angels of course have existed since GOD made them, before man was created. We get a SPIRITual body when we are resurrected in JESUS. Which one could say is like the SPIRITual bodies of the Angels. You’ll notice first of all “Angel” means “Messenger” which is a designation of the “Work” of these SPIRITual beings. But we tend to use the terms “Angel” and “Saint” interchangeably, for instance Saint Michael isn’t a man but is an ArchAngel.

We must be transformed to be as little children, again this is a transformation into being more like the Angels with humility and meekness. It should be pointed out we are less than the least in HEAVEN as we live upon the Earth. But as long as we live upon the Earth we suffer from the infirmity of the flesh. The flesh wars against the SPIRIT, but in being resurrected we gain “wings” which is a term i have always associated with THE HOLY SPIRIT who appeared as a Dove at the transfiguration. That is the Angels being SPIRIT filled would have “wings” by the virtue of having the HOLY SPIRIT. That anyway is why i figure Angels are always depicted with wings.

We see that MOTHER MARY magnifies THE LORD through HER soul . … Luke 1:46 . … and by the same token the souls in HEAVEN with the LORD are magnified in the HOLY SPIRIT to be of a greater stature than those souls of people on the Earth . … There are of course many extraordinary people who seem like Angels on Earth, being Saints, and having the HOLY SPIRIT who have put to death the flesh and are able to be more like the Angels. These are of course the Saints, and we see by the wonders and miracles of the Saints they are like Angels though they have bodies, and no sense perceptible wings, but do have “wings” of the HOLY SPIRIT.

What i am saying is that as MOTHER MARY has magnified THE LORD to be MOTHER of all the LIVING . … so JESUS magnifies us in HIM that we may have “wings” as do Angels and rise greater than our human nature in the resurrection. And this is a state of being which can be achieved today, if a person would put to death the flesh and with the humility and meekness of a child follow THE LORD.

Rev 5:13: And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all therein, saying, “To him who sits upon the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might for ever and ever!”

So in heaven they can hear every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. Now that’s what I call communicating. :slight_smile:

Marriage is a commitment for life and is dissolved by death. We don’t believe, as the Mormons and the Hindus do, that there is a point in trying to continue it after.
Angels do not marry, so in that sense we will be similar to them in the afterlife.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.