Do we ever lose Gods love? even after sinning?

I’m asking this because lately I’ve been really sad because I feel like I’ve lost Gods love. Does God love us even while we’re sinning or just finished commiting a sin? I’ve been really emotional lately, I think it has to do mainly with the fact that I didn’t receive Holy Communion last Sunday and I was devastated, and now I have 2 weeks worth of sins that I need to confess tomorrow. I just feel so over whelmed with sorrow and I’m hoping confession tomorrow will heal me and make me feel better, but for example, if I committed a mortal sin, like stealing something from a store, how does God feel about that? Like he still love that person? Even after they stole??

God never abandons us or stops loving us. It is the other way round. By mortally sinning we are rejecting God’s love and abandoning him.

I was deeply reflecting on Jesus’ words to Peter after he utterly denied him, asking Peter repeatedly, “Do you love me?” It occurred to me that it was not a question to make him aware of his sin, in order to atone by a 3-fold profession of love. May theologians have assumed this.

However, I sensed that He very highly regards our little tokens of love toward Him, and even solicits it because of His deep love for us. I melted when I realized this. Does that answer your question?

If you truly love Him, then abandon the sins that offend him, even if it means doing violence to yourself to be faithful. I have worn your shoes, and when I was deep in a sinful habit many years ago, the pain of disappointing One who loves me so much, was worse than the indulgence of that sin. It is very possible to overcome … just meditate on His very deep love for you, and His deep desire to indwell your heart. :slight_smile:

Have you considered feeling bad is a sign of his love?

The gift of the infused virtue of love (charity) is lost only by actual mortal sin, and it is immediately regained by an act of perfect contrition, even before one goes to Confession. We cut ourselves off from the unchanging love of God when we commit actual mortal sin. But returning to that love is not so difficult: repent with sorrow for sin out of love for God and neighbor.

God loves all sinners even those who are in a state of mortal sin. He desires us to go confession to restore ourselves to baptismal purity because moral sin destroys are relationship with God but Holy Confession repairs it.

“Learn of me for I am meek and humble of heart.” Jesus announcing his Sacred Heart.

He would only treat people with the utmost kindness and gentleness. He is a simple and gracious person denying noone help because he is what he is, a pure, sweet, gracious, and wonderfully warm person who is interested in each person and especially in recognizing those in deep need and feeling for them. The kindly person he is just draws him to loving and giving. The largest pain in his heart are those who do not trust his love to embrace them.

“Jesus in my heart, I believe in your tender love for me, I love you.”
Mother Teresa

Ah, so many beautiful responses to the OP! Bless you all!
One more to add, if it may help. St. Teresa of Avila in the Interior Castle wrote this:
When the soul is negligent, the Lord Himself awakens it in the way that has been described, so that it sees quite clearly that this impulse, or whatever it is called, proceeds from the interior of the soul, as we said when discussing these impulses. It is now felt very gently, but it proceeds neither from the thought nor from the memory, nor can it be supposed that the soul has had any part in it. This is so usual and occurs so frequently that it has been observed with special care: just as the flames of a fire, however great, never travel downwards, but always upwards, so here it is evident that this interior movement proceeds from the centre of the soul and awakens the faculties.

Really, were there nothing else to be gained from this way of prayer but our realization of God’s special care for us in His communing with us and of the way He keeps begging us to dwell with Him (for He seems to be doing nothing less), I believe that all trials would be well endured if they led to the enjoyment of these gentle yet penetrating touches of His love.
Although this is mentioned in the advanced stage of her prayer, it can also be experienced (albeit less often) in the earlier stages. Indeed, it is a treasure of love to be awakened by the Lord in order to commune with Him.

One thing lacking in this thread is that
FACT that we are ALL connected to
one another in the Body of Christ, if
ONE member falls we ALL lose faith,
hope and charity!! We need to get back
up b/c of our love for our fellow believers!!
We DO NOT FALL ALONE, if one suffers
we ALL suffer!! 1 Cor. 12:26

Hey man. I know how you feel. Deeply. But look. There’s more to this. Think more like this: would you stop loving your kid if you caught him nabbing a cookie from the cookie jar? Especially if they were his favorite? Especially if you’d made that batch with him in mind? From the beginning? That it wasn’t really the fact he was eating a cookie that was the problem. But the timing of it. Right before supper. And without asking. So would you give up on him if you caught him doing it about once a week? Or would you just keep reminding him that you love him. That you made those for him. But that you wanted them to be eaten at the right time. For dessert. When it was right.

So really. This is God we’re talking about. We’re talking about a guy who exists just for love’s sake. So that guy’s gonna keep loving you. Even if it hurts. Even if He feels you rejecting him sometimes. Because He knows that you aren’t just summed up by one single sin. Or one bunch of defiant acts. He knows there’s more to you there. And He loves you with a heart that’s bigger than the moon.

So please just trust in that. And go to confession. And make right the things you’ve messed up. So that you can feel worthy again. Because a lot of your pain here is the fact you no longer feel worth loving. But that’s all you. That’s your view of things. And God understands that. That’s why He made confession what it is. So you can climb out of that well of guilt. Do your penance. And face the world with a reset. Back on your own feet. No longer in conflict.

Peace hausoffernie.

-Trident

Funny how people change. I remember being very hungry as a kid. We rarely got treats.

At Walgreen’s I took a Milky Way and ate it. It tasted so good, and I didn’t feel a bit of guilt. Nobody seemed to care.

When I look back upon that, I think hunger makes you do strange things. I would never do that now. I’d probably get caught for shoplifting with all those cameras around.

Of course, guilt is in the eye of the beholder, and that beholder is God. I’m sure He did not like the fact that I ate a candy bar I couldn’t pay for, but I wondered how I could give it back later on when I realized I shouldn’t have done it. How can you give something back that you already ate and digested? I had no money to repay it, either.

Oh, well…unlike my brother who took a bag of pretzels from the corner store. My father made him go back to the store and give the pretzels back. He was only three at the time, and I can guess he was extremely hungry, too.

I’m surprised no one remembers this:

Romans 8:31-39, bolding mine

31 What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? 32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else? 33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. 34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.

35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Yes, sadly our SINS can separate us from
the Love of God:
“Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short
that it cannot save, nor His ears too dull
to hear.
But your iniquities have separated you from
your God; your sins have hidden His face
from you, so that He will not hear.” Is. 59:
1-2

I agree with except for doing “violence against yourself to be faithful.” I appreciate the ascetic saints. Maybe I do not understand them. Your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. I think fasting is a good way to atone for your sins. I am just warning people to avoid some of the medieval extremes. Their intentions were pure and noble but some of the things they did are disagreeable now.

Thanks for your feedback, but I think I overstated the matter by using the word “violence.” It was a strong metaphor simply to say that we must really oppose our desires with all our strength when they lead would lead us to sin. I don’t and never did do anything radical, like wear a hairshirt or metal belt or anything of the sort. No flogging myself, either, nor did I do some of the other things saints did. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.