Do we gain salvation based on our knowledge?

I was reading some threads earlier and people were saying that Usama bin Laden is going to be saved because he didn’t know Christ or the Gospel. If we are saved by our knowledge of God when we die, then everybody will go to heaven because they know the most they can about God. So why did christ die for us, why did He establish the sacraments and the Church, and why do we even have to do good if we know the most we can about God to be saved? I guess what I’m saying is why doesn’t God just take us all into Heaven now if his mercy will save even a man that killed thousands of people because he didn’t know Christ?

If what these people are saying was even remotely true then the founding of the Church was pointless and counterproductive. Moreover, spreading the Gospel would send people to hell.(Because they were made aware of and responsible for their knowledge of the Truth). I refuse to believe that.

God is the Judge. This is actually a good point to bring up in evangelism of Protestants. If knowledge(i.e. faith) alone could save, there is no point to do good works and such. But that’s if it(faith alone) COULD save. Good works definitely have a purpose, more than just determining heavenly rewards. It’s faith working in love;)

If God is all mercy, though, and will let anyone into heaven know matter how much they know about God, then why does Christ say that the path to heaven is narrow?

I was reading some threads earlier and people were saying that Usama bin Laden is going to be saved because he didn’t know Christ or the Gospel.

This is an interesting question. Usama is under Islamic law. And the interpretation of Islamic law has blessed fatwas and jihad against Christians.

This article talks about Islamic jihad; it’s use and interpretation since the creation of Islam in / around 600 AD.

jihadwatch.org/2010/04/islamic-scholars-criticize-ancient-fatwa-calling-for-jihad.html

God is merciful, but He is also just. GOD IS not “all mercy”, He is ALL MERCIFUL. But He is also justice and therefore if we commit a mortal sin without confession or repentance He will allow us to go to hell. The idea that God will let anyone into heaven is nice, but wasn’t taught by Christ. We must look to Christ and follow Him if we hope to make the pearly gates. The narrow way requires self denial (which isn’t fun), and consequently many will pass it up. Knowing He would ascend to the Father, Jesus established and left behind the Catholic Church to provide us with good directions on the way. He did not leave us orphans, but is with us through the Church. Thus anything that stands in opposition to or contradicts the Catholic Churches’ teaching is the theories of men. Salvation is gained first of all by participation in the sacraments and secondly by a lifestyle of faith, hope, and love. Polycarp wrote to the Phillipians that ‘he who loves is entirely out of the reach of sin’. Nurture faith, hope, and love(1st Corinthians 13) and you’re on good footing:)

Hope this helps,
Joe

I would disagree with those people, although I would stop short of presuming that it’s my place to tell you who’s in hell and who’s not. It’s not like I went there and verified that he is burning. OTOH, I do think the belief that Osama’s in heaven is highly implausible.

If we are saved by our knowledge of God when we die, then everybody will go to heaven because they know the most they can about God.

We aren’t saved by our knowledge of God when we die. Those who go to heaven do so because God saved them. He also foreknew and predestined them as His own, and then He regenerated, justified, redeemed, sanctified, and glorified them. God does all those things. And that’s how God gets it done.

So why did christ die for us,

The just for the unjust? Because the unjust were hopelessly and eternally screwed, and for some odd reason, God loves them.

why did He establish the sacraments and the Church,

There are predictable points of disagreement here given that I’m not Catholic, but I’ll try to stay on topic.

and why do we even have to do good if we know the most we can about God to be saved?

There are good Biblical answers as to why you should do good, but the first order of business has to be one of denying that people are saved just by knowing as much as they can about God.

I guess what I’m saying is why doesn’t God just take us all into Heaven now if his mercy will save even a man that killed thousands of people because he didn’t know Christ?

I don’t think His mercy does/did/will save Osama or other people like him, and I think that’s because God’s justice doesn’t allow God’s mercy to work that way. And if that is the case, the fact that God doesn’t just take us all into Heaven probably makes a lot more sense.

God is all-merciful (though not all mercy), but the next part does not follow nor is it true. Christ did say the path to heaven is narrow and that few will find it. He said that because it actually is true.

The short answer to that question is no.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.