Do we have guardian angels?

Hello, i would like to ask if everybody has a guardian angel? It was conclusively and irrevogably asserted by the church of not? Please i want a conclusive answer of yes of no, not subjective answer, thank you.

"That every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church, and is, consequently, not an article of faith; but it is the “mind of the Church”, as St. Jerome expressed it: “how great the dignity of the soul, since each one has from his birth an angel commissioned to guard it.” (Comm. in Matt., xviii, lib. II). "

newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

Yes. :slight_smile:

i.imgur.com/e69qoy3.jpg

What my husbands guardian angel must look like.

Yes, and maybe. Guardian angels are mentioned in the Catechism (CCC 335), and while newadvent seems to say their existence is not dogmatic, a couple other sites says they are. But without sources that I could find.

But not everything that is true has to be officially conclusively and irrevocably asserted, their existence is definitely made pretty clear even if it doesn’t go quiet that far. Again, they’re mentioned in the Catechism, which can certainly be trusted to be true. However, while the Catechism does contain references to infallible sources, it is not infallible itself, and the 5 minutes of googling and skimming was able to do have not turned up any such sources if they exist.

:slight_smile:

lol :smiley:

Jesus said the children have angels in heaven… check it out… I’m just a big kid… so, I’m thinking I still have an angel in heaven…

biblehub.com/matthew/18-10.htm

Yes, we all have a guardian angel. It is a teaching of the Church.

336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

I think this is an important point. Just because the Pope or the Catechism doesn’t excplicity state it, doesn’t mean it’s’ not true. It just means that the Church has not spoken on it.

CCC 335 DOES explicitly state it.

Why would anyone think they wouldn’t have angels protecting them?

“For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”

Psalm 91:11

“But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said, Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.”

Acts 5: 19–20

“Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.”

Acts 27: 23–25

I stood trembling. Then he said to me, “Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words.”

Daniel 10: 10-12

I understand that interpretation. My point was simply that things don’t have to be explicitly stated for them to be true. I was speaking in general terms, not JUST about ink.

There is nothing to interpret.
CCC 335 is a clear Church teaching that we all have a guardian angel. We are bound to believe that.

You mean 336 instead of 335, right?

One could argue that this doesn’t mean that you have an assigned angel but that you always have an angel at your side.

However; regardless, again, my point was speaking in general terms, not just about guardian angels.

Acts 12:15 “You’re out of your mind,” they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, “It must be his angel.”

Guardian angels are mentioned, but not, as was later the case, as guardian spirits of individuals and nations. God sends an angel to protect the people after their exodus from Egypt, to lead them to the promised land, and to destroy the hostile tribes in their way (Ex. xxiii. 20, Num. xx. 16). In Judges (ii. 1) an angel of the Lord—unless here and in the preceding instances (compare Isa. xlii. 19, Ḥag. i. 13, Mal. iii. 1) a human messenger of God is meant —addresses the whole people, swearing to bring them to the promised land. An angel brings Elijah meat and drink (I Kings, xix. 5); and as God watched over Jacob, so is every pious person protected by an angel that cares for him in all his ways (Ps. xxxiv. 7, xci. 11). There are angels militant, one of whom smites in one night the whole Assyrian army of 185,000 men (II Kings, xix. 35); messengers go forth from God “in ships to make the careless Ethiopians afraid” (Ezek. xxx. 9); the enemy is scattered before the angel like chaff (Ps. xxxv. 5, 6). Avenging angels are mentioned, such as the one in II Sam. xxiv. 15, who annihilates thousands.

Angels protect the pious and help them in their transactions. An angel nullifies the consequences of Esau’s hunting. When Jacob trembles in approaching Isaac, two angels support him lest he fall. When Amram takes his wife again, the angels rejoice over the fact that Moses will be born; and at Moses’ death they chant a funeral song. They lament over the martyred Akiba; exclaiming, “This is the Law, and this is its reward” (Soṭah, 12a; Ber. 61b; Shab. 55b). They mourn the death of Adam; they carry off the bodies of Nadab and Abihu. Every man has a special guardian angel, according to Targ. Yer. Gen. xxxiii. 10: “I have seen thy face as though I had seen the face of thy angel” (compare Levi in Soṭah, 41b). These guardian spirits are identical with the two angels accompanying man (Ḥag. 16a). When going into an unclean place, one begs these accompanying angels to wait, until he comes out again (Ber. 60b). Guardian spirits are mentioned particularly in Matt. xviii. 10, and in Acts, xii. 15. They resemble the Persian fravashis, and were probably modeled after them. The spirits of the elements, like the prince of the fire, etc., also had their origin in Persia, as is shown by their names. The accompanying angels are probably not identical with the guardian spirits; for certain angels accompany Jacob in the Holy Land, and others attend him in foreign lands (Gen. R. lxviii. 12).

jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/1521-angelology

Unless I am mistaken, one can say there was a guardian angel in Tobit.

catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0293.html

Yes, we definitely do have a Guardian Angel.

I mean 336.

You can’t get any clearer than "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life."

As 336 states we all have a guardian angel.

What the Church does not teach, however, is if our guardian angel is only one on one with us or if one guardian angel may be assigned to more than one human.

I like the joke link on page 1, about the husbands angel praying.

My daughter’s guardian angels are what allowed me to sleep thru the night. I told her that her guardian angels would keep away the monsters. She said she couldn’t see them. I pointed out that they were only visible when your eyes are closed. She believed me. And didn’t have any nightmares after that.

Guardian Angels are the only explanation for no nightmares. Whether they were her angels or mine, I don’t know an don’t care.:D. I got to sleep through the night.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.