Do we immediately go to Heaven after Death?

I’ve seen various interpretations of this, some saying we ‘sleep’ until Jesus’ Second coming, and others using Jesus’ words to show we go straight away.
So, as the title asks, do we go straight to Heaven (purgatory before, of course) upon death, or do we as some believe ‘sleep’ until the second coming?

According to everything I’ve read from the Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church, and I’ve read them for many years. When you die your soul goes, but the soul will be reunited with your body at the second coming.

Thank you very much for your response. This is what I imagined, thank you. :thumbsup:

The CCC:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a12.htm

The souls in Catholicism are active and do not “sleep”. That’s why we can pray to saints for intercession.

Only a few people go to heaven immediately after death. Most of us will have to pass through purgatory. :gopray::harp::heaven:

If you die in a state of grace your soul is immediately saved, i.e. either Purgatory first then Heaven or straight to Heaven.

Remember, Jesus said to the criminal on the cross next to Him…“TODAY, you will be with Me in Paradise.” :thumbsup:

The thief was purified through his participation in the passion of Christ - physically hanging on his own cross next to Jesus.

This is a metaphor for our own life of penance. We will spend less time in purgatory to the extent that we purify ourselves by taking up our own cross. Few of us however, have the opportunity that the thief on the cross had, to be physically crucified next to God Incarnate.

And remember that the thief repented and then died immediately.

***Today if you hear his voice, harden not your heart. *(Psalm 95:7)

Most of us repent today and then go on sinning when tomorrow becomes today.

-Tim-

Actually, while everyone was mocking Jesus, including the other thief…
the “good” thief said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” His faith wiped out his sins.

Jesus didn’t go to Heaven that day. He didn’t ascend to Heaven until 40 days after Easter. So paradise here can refer also to purgatory or the “prison” that Peter teaches about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.