Do we look too much into ourselves? Sermon on audiosancto

I have listened to the following sermon several times, and one thing that stays with me is the Priest saying that we should not look too much into our selves while discerning. Do you agree? Is it just better to try and see what happens? Or what does he mean, really?

audiosancto.org/sermon/20060903-The-Religious-Life.html

I agree - not to look to much into ourselves as what do I feel like doing. But better to ask ourselves, as he said, what are we doing here, and do we have the qualities necessary to be a religious. Do we have the personality, the desire to be saintly, and if we look at our life, does that show in our behavior and beliefs.

[quote="pollycarp, post:2, topic:292519"]
I agree - not to look to much into ourselves as what do I feel like doing. But better to ask ourselves, as he said, what are we doing here, and do we have the qualities necessary to be a religious. Do we have the personality, the desire to be saintly, and if we look at our life, does that show in our behavior and beliefs.

[/quote]

Oh, and it was a great talk!

Yes i can agree with this with out having to click on the link provided; because i talked about just this exact thing with out realizing it with my Spiritual Director, and he taught me a new phrase which is "navel gazing",,, " looking too much into ourselves".

for me that woke me up to a big degree, because it got to the point to where i couldn't sleep sometimes, staying up at night tossing and turning wondering why I could be even remotely called to a religious vocation, why I am in this discernment process... on an on with the Y's

part of it was not fully understanding the process of what it takes to get into a seminary leading to a diocesan priest vocation...

so i had to figure that part out on my own, and what happens between one and a vocations director..

so now that i finally have my head wrapped around all of that , i have calmed down.

I was too wrapped up in my own faults/sins/ etc to even be comfortable in discernment..

and i have realized I have done my part, for me all i can do is say , here i am; and follow what ever my spiritual director and vocations director suggest from there on out.

I have realized it is okay to be aware of ones self, to recognize ones weaknesses/faults/ sins/ etc and it is okay to ponder " why me "..

but the cliche is too much of anything isnt good, same for discerning.

all one can do is stay steadfast in prayer to the best of ones ability and in constant / regular communication with ones vocational/ spiritual director.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.