Do we need a Godfather?

Hello dear sisters and brothers,

My friend and his boyfriends (both catholic, not married yet but are going to soon) live together and have 2 kids, a 4 year old boy and 8 months old girl. My friend asked me to be the Godmother to the daughter even before she was born ( She even named her after me which is very sweet of her) I love kids so you can imagine my excitement to be asked to be Godmother.

We are planning to baptize the kids sometime this year or early next year , but the only problem is both children don't have Godfather and the boy doesn't have Godmother either. My friend asked me to find Godfather for my Goddaughter but i don't think i will be able to since i'm not yet married and i'm not dating right now.

1) Is it possible that i can be Godmother for both kids ( she wants me to if its possible) ? if yes Can i hold both of them together during baptizing?

2) Is having Godfather mandatory? my sisters and i don't have a godfather, we only have godmothers and my bother only has a godfather.

3) Anything else i need to know? I am a devoted catholic myself and want to get those kids baptize ASAP.

Thank You for your helps.

My friend and his boyfriends (both catholic, not married yet but are going to soon) live together and have 2 kids, a 4 year old boy and 8 months old girl. My friend asked me to be the Godmother to the daughter even before she was born ( She even named her after me which is very sweet of her) I love kids so you can imagine my excitement to be asked to be Godmother.

We are planning to baptize the kids sometime this year or early next year , but the only problem is both children don’t have Godfather and the boy doesn’t have Godmother either. My friend asked me to find Godfather for my Goddaughter but i don’t think i will be able to since i’m not yet married and i’m not dating right now.

1. Is it possible that i can be Godmother for both kids ( she wants me to if its possible) ? if yes Can i hold both of them together during baptizing?

2. Is having Godfather mandatory? my sisters and i don’t have a godfather, we only have godmothers and my bother only has a godfather.

3. Anything else i need to know? I am a devoted catholic myself and want to get those kids baptize ASAP.

You only need one godparent.

[quote="JesusMonSauveur, post:1, topic:330462"]

We are planning to baptize the kids sometime this year or early next year , but the only problem is both children don't have Godfather and the boy doesn't have Godmother either. My friend asked me to find Godfather for my Goddaughter but i don't think i will be able to since i'm not yet married and i'm not dating right now.

1) Is it possible that i can be Godmother for both kids ( she wants me to if its possible) ? if yes Can i hold both of them together during baptizing?

[/quote]

There is no limit to the number of godchildren a person may have. You would have to ask the priest about the rubrics, but to me the individual nature of baptism suggests holding only one child at a time. They are not baptized simultaneously. So I think you would hold one for baptism and then trade to hold the other.

2) Is having Godfather mandatory? my sisters and i don't have a godfather, we only have godmothers and my bother only has a godfather.

Only one sponsor (godparent) is necessary. If there are two, it is true that they must be male and female. They need not be in a relationship with each other. My brother asked me to be godfather for his son and my SIL asked her best friend to be godmother. Her friend was married to someone else, so obviously we were not in a relationship with each other.

3) Anything else i need to know? I am a devoted catholic myself and** want to get those kids baptize ASAP**.

A worthy goal. Ask the priest at the parish where they will be baptized. Often, there is a required class for parents and/or godparents. That will be the best venue to have your questions answered.

You're welcome. :)

[quote="SonCatcher, post:4, topic:330462"]
There is no limit to the number of godchildren a person may have. You would have to ask the priest about the rubrics, but to me the individual nature of baptism suggests holding only one child at a time. They are not baptized simultaneously. So I think you would hold one for baptism and then trade to hold the other.

Only one sponsor (godparent) is necessary. If there are two, it is true that they must be male and female. They need not be in a relationship with each other. My brother asked me to be godfather for his son and my SIL asked her best friend to be godmother. Her friend was married to someone else, so obviously we were not in a relationship with each other.

A worthy goal. Ask the priest at the parish where they will be baptized. Often, there is a required class for parents and/or godparents. That will be the best venue to have your questions answered.

You're welcome. :)

[/quote]

I like the way you took time to answer every questions.

Thank you :)

[quote="JackieMom, post:3, topic:330462"]
You only need one godparent.

[/quote]

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRimFqQNR7tnxf1OcSGtpPWdfDdR8lMStrySl4Z02pJuW9KCXAL

I hope I’m correct in thinking that the parents we are talking about are a woman and a man, and the bits that make it sound like three men (his boyfriends) are just typos?

It doesn’t make sense to ask you to find a godfather. It doesn’t have to do with dating or marriage. I have both a godfather and a godmother, but AFAIK they never met until my baptism, because one was a friend of my father’s from work and the other was a friend of my mother’s from college. As another poster pointed out, you only need one godparent, but asking one godparent to find the other is just odd. If there are two, both should be friends or relatives of the parents.

Certainly you could be godmother to both children. The children should probably have separate baptisms (I mean, it could be on the same trip to the church, but I don’t think it would be at the same actual time.) But I’m not an expert. The only one who can answer that is the pastor at the church where they are being baptised.

Either one godparent or two is fine.

The only issue you’re likely to run into is if the priest is concerned that the children won’t be raised Catholic, then he might not baptize them, because it’s not allowed. I think generally people are given the benefit of the doubt, but I would certainly schedule the baptism for after the wedding, just to be safe.

–Jen

[quote="revert_jen, post:7, topic:330462"]
I hope I'm correct in thinking that the parents we are talking about are a woman and a man, and the bits that make it sound like three men (his boyfriends) are just typos?

It doesn't make sense to ask you to find a godfather. It doesn't have to do with dating or marriage. I have both a godfather and a godmother, but AFAIK they never met until my baptism, because one was a friend of my father's from work and the other was a friend of my mother's from college. As another poster pointed out, you only need one godparent, but asking one godparent to find the other is just odd. If there are two, both should be friends or relatives of the parents.

Certainly you could be godmother to both children. The children should probably have separate baptisms (I mean, it could be on the same trip to the church, but I don't think it would be at the same actual time.) But I'm not an expert. The only one who can answer that is the pastor at the church where they are being baptised.

Either one godparent or two is fine.

The only issue you're likely to run into is if the priest is concerned that the children won't be raised Catholic, then he might not baptize them, because it's not allowed. I think generally people are given the benefit of the doubt, but I would certainly schedule the baptism for after the wedding, just to be safe.

--Jen

[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. My friend is a girl and her bf is a men.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.