Do we need a Latin forum?

Do you think we need another forum to practice our Latin?

I think that would be a great idea!

Excellent idea! I would actually like to learn Latin properly. Any suggestions anyone? like a good beginning text? or classes in the Seattle/King County area?

Many blessings,

Geraldine

Si hoc legere scis nimium Eruditionis habes!

What I need is a guide to Church pronunciation…All I’ve been able to find are Wheelocks latin courses…

hope there would be a beginner’s/latin for dummies thread…:o :o

Yes it would be a good idea :thumbsup:

Absolutely!!! That would be great!!

[quote=Isidore_AK]What I need is a guide to Church pronunciation…All I’ve been able to find are Wheelocks latin courses…
[/quote]

This article may help you
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation

I have some files showing praying the Rosary in Latin. however it appears to be pronounced the Italian way

I’ve been learning Latin for only 3 hours. but I already fall in love with it

[quote=NightRider]Excellent idea! I would actually like to learn Latin properly. Any suggestions anyone? like a good beginning text? or classes in the Seattle/King County area?

Many blessings,

Geraldine
[/quote]

Suppose you are totally new to Latin just like me, maybe you can try textkit.com

That site contains some books for newbies which one can download for free

[quote=FightingFat]Si hoc legere scis nimium Eruditionis habes!

[/quote]

Huh? :confused:

Yes, being that Latin is the official language of the Church and part of its heritage it would be of some interest .

sure, why not? as long as people agree to help teach those of us who don’t know too much!

[quote=Isidore_AK]What I need is a guide to Church pronunciation…All I’ve been able to find are Wheelocks latin courses…
[/quote]

Just pronounce as if you were reading Italian.

Could a Spanish pronunciation be similar?

[/quote]

The Harvard Coop bookstore in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts sells Medeiaval Latin text books, written for Biblical translations in mind. You might want to do an internet search for the Harvard Coop (Cooperative).

Great Idea! That would be a real asset!

[quote=Kevin Walker]The Harvard Coop bookstore in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts sells Medeiaval Latin text books, written for Biblical translations in mind. You might want to do an internet search for the Harvard Coop (Cooperative).
[/quote]

Thanks for finding that! I may just check it out!

[quote=mercygate]Just pronounce as if you were reading Italian.
[/quote]

Just a sidenote: My Italian buddy from Boston’s Italian North End, and a fluent Italian speaker went to see the Passion of the Christ. He can understand Latin

He complained to me that to him it sounded like the Roman Soldiers were speaking Russian. .

I said no, the actors had to learn Latin and Aramaic for their parts. But he insisted that the Roman Soldiers sounded Russian to him.

It then dawned on me that Mel Gibson had hired actors from the Czech Republic to play the Roman Soldiers, and they were speaking Latin with a heavy Slav accent! And my buddy picked up on that! Very Cool! :cool:

[quote=Fashina86]Thanks for finding that! I may just check it out!
[/quote]

Hello Fashina86:

Just for your information, I ran over to the Harvard Coop bookstore:

READING MEDIEVAL LATIN (1995) by Keith Sidwell

MEDIEVAL LATIN SECOND EDITION (1962) by K.P. Harrington

DICTIONARY OF ECCLESIASTICAL LATIN (1995) by Leo F. Stelten

www.thecoop.com

THE COOP/HARVARD
Harvard Square
Cambridge, MA. 02238

617-499-2000

Hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.