Do we need a Trent II?

Do we need a Trent II? As in a council similar in character (lucid and militant) and with similar objectives (authentic reform) as the original Council of Trent?

If so, what do you think some of the objectives should be?

No, no, a thousand times no!!

But I would take a Vatican III to continue the fine work of Vatican II.

John

Interesting point. If I had to create the poll all over again, I would have included an option for Vatican III.

Nevertheless, what fine work specifically from Vatican II would you like to see continued?

Nah…I think Pope Benedict XVI will do just fine at explaining and defining the things that are needed.

The sad state of affairs that exists within the Church today can be traced back to Vatican II; not because the council itself was in error, but because of the way its reforms were “implemented”. So yes, I do think we need another Trent, but only to undo the damage done by liberals who degraded the Church based on a misinterpretation of Vatican II.

I voted no because I see our present Holy Father leading the way with authentic renewal

Tomster

If only the SSPX would come home ! . . . . sigh

Wasn’t Trent II Vatican I? And Trent III Vatican II??? Isn’t that the whole point of the conciliar process?

You can observe this clearly in Dei Verbum

I don’t think so. What issues would we need to see defined that haven’t already been?

Most of the problems in the Church today were countered by the last two ecumenical Councils and the Pontiffs who have reigned during that time–the problem is many people refuse to obey them. Sadly, at this point, I think a new Council would be received the same way. Reform in the Church must begin at the bottom, through evangelization of both Catholics and non-Catholics–this is how it has always happened. The Council of Trent, for example, was the fruit of these grass-roots movements that started well before it. We are seeing these kinds of movements starting to blossom now–but they need to be given time to do there work and produce their fruits.

As an aside, I don’t see any ecumenical Council being held anywhere else besides the Vatican in the future (barring any major changes in the world) so any new council would be “Vatican III” unless there were a reunion Council with the Orthodox, which might be held in a place like Moscow (Constantinople under Turkish government being too difficult a location).

Trent was a Council of inspired genius, in that it refused to go half-way to meet protestantism by diluting Catholic treachings. It restated and codified Catholic teaching forcefully, in a manner that ended confusion and inspired the Faithful.

Yes. I do think we could use another Trent - a Council that reinforced doctrine, refused to adopt weasel compromises, and inspired and insisted on better teaching and evangelisation.

The proble with Vatican 2 was that its interpretation opened the gate to a tide of liberalism, abandonment of teaching the Faith and liturgical discipline. The so-called “spirit of Vatican 2” was used to justify anarchic decisions that created confusion as to what Catholicism teaches and why it teaches it.

We need a Trent II like we need an Amendment XXI.

I would suggest Jerusalem II
The church needs to re-look at this circumcision issue.
It would encourage more people to be baptized as infants instead of adults.
:wink:

[quote=Angainor]We need a Trent II like we need an Amendment XXI.
[/quote]

We certainly needed an Amendment XXI, because Amendment XVIII was ill conceived, ill advised, and simply didn’t work.

Anyway, what did you mean by your statement?

John

We certainly needed an Amendment XXI, because Amendment XVIII was ill conceived, ill advised, and simply didn’t work.

Anyway, what did you mean by your statement?
[/quote]

Oh, nothing. :whistle:

No, we don’t.

I do think if there is ever another Council, it may involve the possible reunion with our Eastern Orthodox brothers and sisters.

I would like to see Vatican II implemented first. After that we can talk about a Trent II.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.