Do we need an annulment?

My husband and I and our two children were received into the Church this past Easter. We were both previously married and divorced. Neither of us were married in any church – we were each married by a civil authority (i.e., justice of the peace). Do we still need an annulment in order to have our marriage acknowledged/blessed by the Church?

[quote=tjdjcj]Do we still need an annulment in order to have our marriage acknowledged/blessed by the Church?
[/quote]

Probably. If neither one of you nor your respective spouses were Catholics at the time of your first marriages, you were not bound by the Catholic form of marriage and the civil weddings would be presumed valid. (If you were both baptized Christians married to baptized Christians, the weddings would be presumed sacramental.) Without further details, it is impossible to say for certain. I recommend that you and your husband make an appointment with your pastor to discuss the particulars of your cases. It is surprising that the parish that received you into the Church did not do this with you at the time of your reception, but it can still be done now. You may also contact Catholic Answers directly for more personalized assistance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.