Do we need new heroes like Atticus Finch?

My purpose here is twofold. I’d like to discuss the possibly of new fiction being written with a Christian theme having the hero a Christ-like figure such as Atticus Finch.(in To Kill a Mockingbird)
Secondly, real heroes like Atticus Finch. Should we be trying to emulate his heroics. Does the world need more people like him?

I see a need for more profound literature in the vein of To Kill a Mockingbird. It is a way of evangelising in a more subtle way. Encouraging people to aspire to decency first and foremost in their lives.
But what kind of hero would suit the modern reader? I am sure there are some imaginative Christian writers out there who could come up with something fresh. What kind of hero would appeal to readers in these complex times of political divisions? That cut across left and right wing factions? That everyone would and could respect? It doesn’t have to be a lawyer of course. maybe a politician, although it would be problematic if one side of politics appeared more decent than the other.
to be continued

Hmmm. I wear T-shirts which ask “Who’s Your Hero?” on the front and depict the crucified Christ. Am guessing that the more media product we consume the more media heroes we need.

Messianic typology may indeed lead some to Christ, so that is good.

I guess you might be saying that we risk a diluting of original truths? That Jesus Christ needs to be our only hero? The only story that really matters is the Passion of Christ?

Sort of, but not really. Those away from Christ, or strangers to Him, need role models, exemplars of self-sacrificing good. Since they may not be religious, those media examples can suggest Christ to them.

I have to be honest. For me, reading the Passion story in the Bible is something I don’t get a lot out of anymore. Unless someone points out new insights.
Jesus can work through saints like Atticus Finch. But of course I do admit there is a danger in putting such people on too high a pedestal.

If the sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary do not help, maybe try contemplating Christ’s passion as you offer a Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Here is one example:

Thanks for your help and advice. I just wish I could embrace what you’ve suggested but it reminds me too much of my conservative Catholic upbringing. Its my problem not yours. Thanks again.

How else to draw nearer to God and receive those little illuminations? I received none until I began praying in the presence of our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

More effort required on my part. I cant expect grace without effort.

The grace is there, and more for the asking. But, we must cooperate with that grace. We are all works in progress here, sometimes taking one step forward and two back - sometimes reversing that. God’s grace accompanies us and keeps our spirit afloat during each trial. The key which unlocks the door and allows that grace inside is humility.

I get a sense when I apologize to God for my sins, that He can gauge the level of my sincerity. And the amount of humility I have. I just hope I don’t have to reach rock bottom in my life, to show that humility and 100% sincerity.

Don’t fear humility! Humbling yourself is far, far better than waiting for the Lord to do so. His humbling is industrial strength!

I don’t fear humility. I fear reaching rock bottom financially or health wise too. How would I cope with being bedridden for example? or a zero bank balance.

I think everyone fears these things. But I can say from experience, such situations are not the end of the world. I myself have been, at various points in my life, homeless (more than once), penniless, and acutely ill to the point of being bedridden. Even after all that, I am still here to tell the tale. Something valuable I learnt is that there is, strangely enough, a quiet comfort in ‘hitting rock bottom’, almost as if God is telling you, ‘There now, it won’t get any worse than this. It can only get better from here on out’.

I’d rather think I’m at rock bottom now, and things are only going to get better from here on out. :slight_smile:
But in regard to fearing rock bottom, I think the root of the fear is pride. The need to ask someone to help. Asking for a handout. needing to use a charity or if you need a carer when disabled. Dignity in being independent is something I value and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

This prayer/advise/counsel popped into my consciousness this morning - after some spiritual struggles.

Let nothing disturb you,

Let nothing frighten you,

All things are passing away:

God never changes.

Patience obtains all things

Whoever has God lacks nothing;

God alone suffices.

-- St. Teresa of Avila

Atticus was not Christ like. He had his foibles and imperfections.

He was a well written character. I think that is the key.

2018 is the era of the antihero. However, there is a yearning for characters like Atticus. They need to be well written and crafted to rise above the cynicism pervading our culture.

Sadly, the division in society makes it difficult to find a cause that people can unite to support. Atticus does not work unless TKAM is written about a societal ill that can unite people. We are a fractured nation, and I don’t know if we are ready for Atticus.

Atticus would work if done properly.

Brilliant prayer.
thanks.
Its like gold

Who is someone dead or still living, that both Republicans and Democrats look up to, respect and admire?

Maybe Mother Teresa of Calcutta?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.