Do we need to do a party for Childs Baptism?

Hello,

I know there is not “requirement” to do a get together after our baby’s (first born) baptism but it can be a cultural thing…

But I was wondering --is it really a cultural thing?

I know I have been to such things but I would prefer not to have one myself.

Of course baptism is of the GREAT importance – our child will now be “in Christ” as St. Paul puts it and part of his Body the Church.

But I wonder if the cultural need to have a get together is just an impression that I got from the few I have been to …

So question is – is it really? Will people be bothered if we do not have get together afterwards.

Reasons for not:

Swine Flu! (A-H1N1) is wide spread now and it is good to avoid crowds…and I heard a pediatrician say just about “ordinary care” --that for the first two months (and after still to a degree) to avoid groups of people etc with the baby (ie parties …get to-gethers…etc) or something like that…

Money…

Not the party kind…

(even if it is culturally the thing to do …the first reason will be enough to not to -so I guess I wonder if I have to “say why” or is it really a non issue and only some people have them anyhow?)

We’ve never done any party for our four children. The most important thing for me was to have my parents (Anabaptists) there. For our fourth I had forgotten to invite them and mom had seen me mention it on another forum site and she called and asked me if they could come. She wanted to come!! That was/is the most important thing for me and my husband.

I think that sacraments need to be more celebrated than birthdays. We have a party for sacraments and invite the whole family, but we don’t for birthdays. For birthdays we have a family day trip such as to the zoo. For our newest addition we invited the whole family to eat at the church spaghetti dinner and then we met at our house for cake. It was wonderful! I usually cook a big meal for everyone but this baby was baptized 6 days after her c-section birth.

Parties are certainly not required.

however, it’s a nice gesture, if you’re able to, to have some kind of small reception(for lack of a better word) for anyone who attends your child’s baptism. It certainly should not be something to be stressed and anxious about if you can’t or just prefer not to do. If you can’t ,you can’t, simple as that. I would imagine if you’re having a small number of people attending the baptism then they are people who know you well and will understand.

I’ve never had a big party for any of my childrens’ baptisms. I don’t think celebrate=big shindig. I was too busy in my bedroom breastfeeding anyway to be much of a hostess. If you can get someone else to hep you too, that is ideal.

BTW my children have never had birthday parties either except with family, so I just may not be a party person:shrug:

Like others have said… there is not requirement for how you celebrate… but just keep in mind that it IS a celebration. If you’re not party people, then don’t do a big party. If you enjoy big other (ie birthdays, etc) celebrations, then this should at least be on par with that.

Whatever works for your family… but a celebration is a celebration! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

My wife also would not like to have big birthday parties…and I of course we will celebrate the Baptism --each year!

It just seems with the recommendation of the one pediatrician --together with the whole swine flu thing – it would be best to avoid.

And it is the BAPTISM that is important …not a party :slight_smile:

I was mostly wondering if people often “have no gathering” --and just have the Baptism itself?

Thanks! that helps :slight_smile:

We did, however, go out to eat afterwords to a “nice” restaurant in town. My parents paid. YEAH! lol. Like others have said, if a big gathering is not your bag, then ask your family over for dinner or you can simply do some cake and ice cream.

I agree with your post Em! I feel that sacremental occasions like Marriage, Baptism, First Holy Communion & Confirmation are the most worthy of celebrations!

Our kids have been baptized between 3-8 days of age. We always celebrate, but that does not mean we have to invite anyone outside our family. We just always have a cake and lunch together at my inlaws or my house after the baptism, and we are the only ones there. I don’t invite a bunch of people to the baptism, I am usually focusing on my newborn (and to be honest, it takes me a while to get back to normal) and could not deal with planning and being the hostess of a party, I would rather have the baby baptized ASAP than risk anything to have the baby baptized at a time when more people can come or when we can have a big party afterwards, lol, I wouldn’t plan my baby’s Sacrament around the party :D. So, my opinion is… to celebrate the baptism you don’t need to invite other people, but you can celebrate it at home with cake, a special meal, etc since it is something awesome, one of the most important days in the life of your little one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.