Do we need to reveal sins already confessed?

Hi!

Say that I commit a sin against someone and he/she doesn’t know about it. Afterwards, I feel repentant and confess to a priest. Assuming that my confession was valid and that I perform all the penances imposed by the priest, am I obligated to reveal this sin to the person against whom I committed it? Does the Church have guidelines on whether or not to reveal sins already confessed and presumably forgiven (assuming also that revealing such sin is not part of the penance imposed)? Does the concealment invalidate an otherwise valid confession?

Thanks!

Code of Canon Law:

Can. 980 If the confessor is in no doubt about the penitent’s disposition and the penitent asks for absolution, it is not to be denied or delayed.

Can. 983 §1 The sacramental seal is inviolable. Accordingly, it is absolutely wrong for a confessor in any way to betray the penitent, for any reason whatsoever, whether by word or in any other fashion.

Whether or not you choose to reveal your sin(s) to another person is a prudential judgment on your part. The priest cannot require you to reveal your sin(s) to a third party.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.