Do we really believe that abortion is acceptable if the mother's life is in danger?

I have heard many times, “Only in the case where the mother’s life is in danger does The Church allow abortion.” This sounds contradictory to me.:confused: It just can’t be. Choosing one’s life over another is o.k.? No. But in a case like that what is one to do?

Let’s say that a mother is sick and the doctor says because of her illness she will die unless she aborts. :frowning:

So we say go for it. Try and save the mother’s life and hopefully the baby will pull through. In other words, “roll the dice” and see what happens. Is this correct?

What about if the doctors say, “If we don’t go in and take the baby the mother will die.” Then what? And, "We could not only lose the mother, but, we could also lose the baby! "
This has been bothering me for a while.

Thanks,
Sky

The following link should help answer your question about abortion. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Is abortion okay to save the mother’s life?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.