Do we really believe ‘til death do us part?’

As Catholics, why do we believe this? Is it doctrine? Do all of us believe it? Whenever someone passes away, many times I hear “Grandma and Grandpa are together again,” or “My husband is waiting for me in heaven,” or “We’ll meet again.” I find it puzzling that we claim belief in one doctrine but live according to another.

Regardless of doctrine, most Christians I know actually believe in heavenly reunions—is essence, death does NOT do us part. So why do we still say this in our wedding vows? What are your thoughts?

I think it comes from here…
Matthew…
But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female. 7For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother; and shall cleave to his wife. 8And they two shall be in one flesh. Therefore now they are not two, but one flesh. 9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

So then we have commandments that one should not covet thy neighbors wife…

Is what you are asking why do we believe till death us do part? Because then if one dies and death parts them for a while they can remarry… still they will be united again ALL in heaven if they make it that far with God’s grace…

Because people use sentimental language does not change the very nature of marriage and would not change the vows.

2 Likes

We may be together in death but it is in a totally different way. Not the physical way any more but the spiritual. I think we will know EVERY person like we know our best friend. We will all just know and love each other like we have known and loved them forever.

13 Likes

That’s beautiful, CajunJoy65, thank you.

1 Like

What it means is that the marriage on earth is over, and I am free to marry someone else on earth now - NOT that I’ll never see my husband again. The full sentence, is, “I, Bear, take you, Mr. Bear, to be my lawful wedded husband…(etc.)…till death do us part.”

I would hope that we would see each other again in heaven, but we will not be married to each other there. I am also hoping to see the guy I dated and loved before I met my husband and who died about 15 years ago, in heaven and it will be just fine for me to spend quality time with them both, whereas here on earth there would be at the very least a scandal and at worst some kind of affair if I did that.

Also, my husband’s dying has indeed physically parted him from me - temporarily, but we’re still “parted” for now. It didn’t say “till death do us part forever.”

10 Likes

Great explanation, Tis_Bearself! That makes so much sense.

1 Like

We will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in awe of being with Our Lord that rightly so everybody else will come in their proper place after that. We were made by God for God and when we get to Heaven that’s what will finally be. It will be ALL ABOUT GOD!

2 Likes

The Gospels of Matthew (Ch 22), Mark (Ch 12) and Luke (Ch 20) stated it rather clearly.

Here’s Christ’s answer from Matthew CH 20: 29-30:

29 Jesus said to them in reply, “You are misled because you do not know the scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like the angels in heaven."

The Gospels make it clear that we can remarry after the death of a spouse but there is no marriage in Heaven.

Being in the presence of God is way more than sufficient.

3 Likes

I’m looking for that scripture, but it’s not Matthew 20:29-30. ???

My typo: s/b Matthew 22 not 20.

Sorry about that.

1 Like

In Heaven, God is quite capable of manifesting His presence through the love of our loved ones who are already there and waiting for us.

2 Likes

Marriage ends at death. That is why we (royal “we”) are free to remarry if our spouse dies, but not after divorce if the (ex-)spouse is still living.

We will not be married in Heaven. We will probably see each other again in Heaven and recognize each other, but we will not be married. The purpose of marriage would have been fulfilled.

1 Like

Isn’t another purpose of marriage to get your spouse to heaven??? I’m sure my mother told me that… :wink:

2 Likes

Although we won’t marry or be given in marriage in Heaven, our loved ones will still be our friends, and all the brokenness and imperfections of our current relationship will be healed.

A lady at work once told me how her sister, in a hospital, had a powerful dream - ( both in their mid 60’s )
And she was entering into Heaven - when suddenly - she saw her grandparents and parents -
but not their oldest sister.
The oldest sister had died years before…she lived rather sinfully…she wasn’t with them.

This disturbed - greatly - the sister in the hospital -
she wouldn’t be consoled - and she too died a week later.
The woman telling me this story -
you really had to see her eyes - and how she spoke of the event.
She - was now - visibly disturbed.

Yes, my mother told me the same.

Also, the sacrament of marriage is unique in that it is the couple that enacts it. In order to be receiving the grace of the sacrament of holy matrimony, both spouses must be living. You can not be married to a dead person. It is not about not believing in a reunion, but the earthly marriage ends when one spouse dies because the covenant that they made to enact the sacramental union ends at death.

Notice a little cake icon. One year anniversary? Congrats for bearing with all the noise here !!:wink::grinning:

1 Like

Thanks Joey. I think my Cake Day resolution will be to start spending more time in prayer on the Prayer Intentions forum.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.