Do we really exist?

Sometimes I get the feeling that we don’t really exist, that maybe GOD is just trying different things out to see what does work and that He could end everything in a flash. Almost like your having a super dream or something or maybe He keeps improving on existence. Kind of like companies that make products and they’re always trying to improve on them, you know what I mean? Respond to mkroches@msn.com. Thank you

I’m sorry but I won’t respond privately when I don’t know who I am responding to, and this is a public forum in which you have asked your question so I will answer it here. :slight_smile:

We know that we are not a mere whim or mirage of God’s because of the Incarnation. Jesus was a very real person who felt all that we do and who suffered more than we will ever understand. A God who was only experimenting wouldn’t have loved us that much nor bothered to redeem us. He would simply have annihilated Adam and Eve and started all over again.

God is so powerful that He could create a separate reality for every being in existence, and no one would ever know. But the question is why would He ???
The thought that He could may be a bit disturbing, but you would never know if He did (unless He revealed this to you -then if He did how would you know He was telling you the truth ?).

wc

[quote=M.Krocheski]Sometimes I get the feeling that we don’t really exist, that maybe GOD is just trying different things out to see what does work and that He could end everything in a flash. Almost like your having a super dream or something or maybe He keeps improving on existence. Kind of like companies that make products and they’re always trying to improve on them, you know what I mean? Respond to mkroches@msn.com. Thank you
[/quote]

I THINK THEREFORE I AM

According to IQ tests, I’m supposed to excel at these kinds of philosophical discussions, but to be honest, I hate this kind of Descarte-existential marlarky. Questionning one’s existence is an exercise is pseudo-intellectualism (as in false), in other words, it’s foolishness. It’s common sense to know you exist. Wisdom is knowing what to do with that existence.

David

[quote=M.Krocheski]Sometimes I get the feeling that we don’t really exist, that maybe GOD is just trying different things out to see what does work and that He could end everything in a flash. Almost like your having a super dream or something or maybe He keeps improving on existence. Kind of like companies that make products and they’re always trying to improve on them, you know what I mean? Respond to mkroches@msn.com. Thank you
[/quote]

We don’t exit.

Transfer your non-existing bank account to me.

We must exist on at least some level. If nothing exists, then how could anything attempt to appear to exist?

one of the best ways to realize the truth of your existence is through suffering.

you never know you’re real MORE than when you’re in pain.

by this, let me just caveat - i don’t mean you should cause yourself pain.

i mean that pain will come (it always does) and when it does, ask yourself this question again.

nothing like a slap in the face to convince you that you’ve got one. (a face)

or, as the goo goo dolls say ‘you’d bleed just to know you’re alive’.

Decartes was able to prove he existed.

He said, “I think. Therefore, I am.”

Well, if you don’t exist, I feel kind of silly responding to your non-existent post.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.