Do you abstain from meat on Fridays (not during lent)?

So I know it’s not required, but my parents raised me to abstain from meat on Fridays anyway. I thought I was something of an anomaly, but I’ve met many Catholics who do similar in the US.

Also, as I understand, the U.K. is going back to abstaining on all Fridays.

So, I was curious, do you abstain from meat on all Fridays?

I can’t vote, because neither option is true for me. At the moment I follow this

ABSTINENCE is prescribed as a general rule for every Friday, applicable to those completed the 14th year. However, for the particular circumstances of the Vicariate of Arabia, abstinence is to be observed on Wednesday throughout the year

r
except during the 3 weeks of December when I am not in Arabia - then and after mid-July I will abstain from meat on all Fridays.

Too late for me to edit the poll options, but thanks for letting me know!

ewtn.com/expert/answers/fast_and_abstinence.htm

Abstinence The law of abstinence requires a Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. Meat is considered to be the flesh and organs of mammals and fowl. Also forbidden are soups or gravies made from them. Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles and shellfish are permitted, as are animal derived products such as margarine and gelatin which do not have any meat taste.

On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. They must do some penitential/charitable practice on these Fridays. For most people the easiest practice to consistently fulfill will be the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year. During Lent abstinence from meat on Fridays is obligatory in the United States as elsewhere.

1. Accordingly, since the spirit of penance primarily suggests that we discipline ourselves in that which we enjoy most, to many in our day abstinence from meat no longer implies penance, while renunciation of other things would be more penitential.
  1. For these and related reasons, the Catholic bishops of the United States, far from downgrading the traditional penitential observance of Friday, and motivated precisely by the desire to give the spirit of penance greater vitality, especially on Fridays, the day that Jesus died,urge our Catholic people henceforth to be guided by the following norms.
  1. Friday itself remains a special day of penitential observance throughout the year, a time when those who seek perfection will be mindful of their personal sins and the sins of mankind which they are called upon to help expiate in union with Christ Crucified.
  1. Friday should be in each week something of what Lent is in the entire year. For this reason we urge all to prepare for that weekly Easter that comes with each Sunday by freely making of every Friday a day of self-denial and mortification in prayerful remembrance of the passion of Jesus Christ.

I just started to as I didn’t know it was mandatory to do penance on Friday until a few weeks ago. It’s certainly the easiest form of penance.

If I’m at home with my parents who don’t observe these laws and eat meat, I eat it and do something else instead as Penance. (Stations of the Cross, small acts of self-sacrifice)

Obviously Lent is something else. Abstaining from meat is mandatory on Fridays

I still remain meatless on all Fridays. I abstain from meat as a penance for all the children lost to abortion.

I returned to the Church when my children were small and decided this would be the best in our circumstances. It took a year before we consistently remembered both the things you need to remember, that it was Friday, and that we weren’t supposed to eat meat on Friday.

I voted yes. Except today, I haven’t fasted like I normally do today, and I know it’s very bad of me.

When I remember to do so for Lent, yes.

Like you (the OP), I was raised with meat abstinence every Friday even though it was no longer required. Mom says I have been abstaining since I started eating solid food.

Even during the years I was away from the Church (I’m a revert), out of habit I didn’t eat meat on Fridays.

Still, I don’t personally know anyone outside my family who does this—even my old-fashioned, orthodox priest is fascinated by my year-round Friday meat abstinence, as he does not practice it himself.

Fasting is a different matter. Do you normally fast on Fridays in addition to abstaining from meat?

Whoops, I didn’t realize I made that mess up. :o Yes, I do, and on Wednesdays, as well. As I’m still Orthodox, our fasts are very strict, and I try and stick to them as best as I can. Considering you aren’t allowed to eat and meat, dairy, fish, and extra oddities, it can be quite the challenge. I’ve been told not to go to extremes with this by Priests (Orthodox and Catholic) because of my age (16), but it’s very strengthening for my spirituality.

I became Catholic last Easter, and started not eating meat on Fridays during lent. I just continued the practice, except occasionally when I slip up. Like today I had a sausage at breakfast, and part way through eating it, I remembered.:o

Usually i don’t so i preffer to do some charity act instead.

by the way what does we have to do also on fridays, besides meat abstain or charity/penance?

Not obligatory.

I voted yes but today I forgot and had left over turkey and ham for lunch

no one said it was
:shrug:

"Also, as I understand, the U.K. is going back to abstaining on all Fridays."

The above cannot be understood any other way than meaning obligatory.

Here in the UK it has always been obligatory. A reminder was given when it was realised that too many people had forgotten about it. For me it is one of our ways of living the faith “Fish on Fridays” is part of my faith and Catholic heritage.

It is obligatory to do a Friday penance. It is not obligatory in England to abstain from eating meat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.