Do you agree that the Judeo-Christian God is not the same as the Muslim God?

Do you agree that they are two different beings?

I wish to argue that the Judeo-Christian God is not the same being as the Muslim/Islamic God. They are two entirely different entities.

Why? They may seem to have the same function, but fundamentally, we know that the Judeo-Christian God is identified as Yahweh. The Muslim God is identified as Allah. Nowhere in the Quran is the name of God ever explicitly stated as Yahweh. It is always explicitly expressed as Allah. Allah is used as a proper name for the name of Muslim God but the proper name of the Judeo-Christian God is always Yahweh; in fact Yahweh is mentioned properly more that 6000 times in the bible in the original tetragrammaton in Hebrew.

Therefore it is wrong to say that Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God. We do not.

If anyone can point out where the Muslim God refers to himself explicitly as Yahweh in the Quran, then I’m open to reconsider my position on the matter.

Allah as a tern is used in the worship of God by millions of our fellow Christians daily and the term predates Islam.

I do not believe that Islam worships the same god as the God of the Scriptures (although, in sincerity, they believe that they do). However, your reasons for holding that position are, IMO, completely erroneous. It has nothing to do with the name in Allah in Arabic. As Jharek has pointed out, Arabic Christians also use this term when referring to the Triune God.

Why would a text written in Arabic refer to God by using a Hebrew name for God? My name in English is Stephen. If I was in Mexico or Spain my name would be Esteban. If I were in Germany I would be called Steffen or Steffan. Yet I am not three or four different persons. The different names still refer to one person, namely me. :shrug:

As JharekCarnelian has stated, many Christians use the name of “Allah” when they speak of God, if that is the language in which they are speaking.

If by “Judeo-Christian God” you mean the Triune God, then I completely agree: clearly they are not the same. But that much is obvious, so you must mean something else? :shrug:

Also, it depends on what you mean by being “the same.” Two oranges are “the same” in one sense but not “the same” in another sense. Hair splitting distinctions I know, but necessary for a topic such as this.

Indeed. It is used in the country i was born in.

Since the Church teaches that Muslims do worship the same God but deficiently I view them as the authority by which I am guided.

Right. Muslim worship consists in natural worship, whereas Catholic worship consists in supernatural worship. Islam is a natural religion (i.e., man made and thus faulty in some respects), whereas the Catholic Faith is revealed religion.

Indeed, what elements of truth Islam preserves are those it inherits from Christianity, Judaism and other sources.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

And why doesn’t my avatar show up anymore? :stuck_out_tongue:

There is only one God. Muslims simply use the translation of “God” in their language. BUT they have a very different view of the nature of God. Many of them have a very negative and violent view.

You can also argue that Jesus is the name used for G-d among Christians, which is not the name for G-d among Muslims or Jews. If you are asserting that Muslims do not worship the same G-d as Christians, you may as well assert that Jews do not worship the same G-d as Christians either since neither Muslims nor Jews worship a Trinitarian G-d. Or you can state that all three religions, being based on the G-d of Abraham, do worship the same G-d even though the conception of that one G-d may differ.

That is very ignorant. An open mind, an open heart, and 20 mins of research would’ve answered your very easy question: Allah is the translation of God into Arabic. If you go to church in Egypt, Gaza or the West Bank, the Host will be consecrated under the name Allah. Secondly, yes, it is the same, or perhaps in better terms, an attempt at the same Being. The God of the Jews Christians and Muslims is claimed by all faiths to be the God of Abraham and each shares fundamental “essence’s”(like hundreds of pages "all merciful, all knowing, all loving etc) and the differences are the same difference between the Catholic God of reason via Aquinas and the God of Luther, who thought reason was a whore.

Haha…As you do, in your language, with the word “God”

Luther was Muslim?! Fascinating.

I think you’re being a little harsh on the OP. Letters and words are just symbols to express ideas; they are not the ideas themselves. I don’t think the OP was asking a philological question.

Let me restate the question simpler.

Would a Muslim worship God and explicitly call him Yahweh instead of Allah?

Like I said before, I am after the explicit mention in the Quran that their God is named Yahweh. I’m not after opinions. I’m after facts.

The Tetragrammaton is the most mentioned name in the Bible. Of course, after being translated from the Hebrew, it is euphemised. Yahweh EXPLICITLY declares his personal name, first to Moses and it was used and expressed continually in the Old Testament. Prior to Moses, Yahweh was hidden under the names, El, Elohim, El Shaddai, etc. but that’s his nature, not his personal name - you get me?
To illustrate:
'oh i am a dude, i made heaven and earth.
'oh this dude told me to do this.
'oh abram, i that dude, am telling you to go take a hike to Canaan.
'oh the awesome dude said i would be longest living human. ’
'oh by the way dude, if i go back to Egypt, the Egyptians are going to ask the name of my God, what should I tell them? dude? well I met a fearsome dude that was hiding behind a discombobulating burning bush and he’s telling me, look pharaoh, let the israelis go or i’m gonna mess you up real bad? and the dude replies, “ok let’s take care of this dude business first. Let me introduce myself. I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. My Name is Yahweh, nice to meet you.”

There’s too many dudes out there you know? Zeus could have been one of them. Where does the Quran state that Allah introduced his name as Yahweh? Or that, one of his names, aside from Allah is Yahweh? Aside from Ar-Rahman, al-Malik, etc?

There is only 1 God for the believers of all faiths, however, what baffles me is why do English speaking Muslims call God Allah.

A while back I searched the net for some answers as to why do Muslims, American/English/Australian/ or any other country in which English is their primary language say Allah and not God.

Here is an answer from the Islamic Voice explains it:

Why do Muslims call God, ‘Allah’?

Allah is a unique word which does not conjure up mental pictures nor can it be played around with

1.The Muslims prefer calling Allah instead of the English word ‘God’. The Arabic word Allah is pure and unique, unlike the English word God which can be played around with.

1. God + s = Gods If you add ‘S’ to God, it becomes Gods that is plural of God. Allah is one and singular there is no plural of Allah.
  1. God + dess = Goddess If you add ‘dess’ to God it becomes ‘Goddess’ that is a female God, there is nothing like male Allah or female Allah. Allah has got no gender.
  1. God + Father = God father If you add ‘father’ to God, it becomes ‘godfather’. He is my Godfather i.e. he is my guardian. There is nothing like Allah Abba or Allah father in Islam.
  1. God + Mother = God mother If you add ‘mother’ to god it becomes ‘godmother’. There is nothing like Allah Ammi or Allah mother in Islam.
  1. Tin + God = Tin god: If you put ‘tin’ before god it becomes ‘Tin god’ i.e. a fake God, there is nothing like Tin Allah or fake Allah in Islam.
  1. Allah is a Unique Word: Allah is a unique word which does not conjure up mental pictures nor can it be played around with. Therefore the Muslims prefer calling God, ‘Allah’. **But sometimes while speaking to the non-Muslims we may have to use the inappropriate **word ‘God’, for Allah.

islamicvoice.com/may.2002/religion.htm

This understanding of their name of “Allah” bothers me stating our using of the word “God” is inappropriate use of it.

Nope, it will never happen.

:confused:

It doesn’t…

Then why don’t we all use the word God as Jesus would have uttered it, phonetically?

Surely it isn’t too difficult for most of us to learn, is it? It is just one word…usually.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.