Do you believe in mary's virginity

I know this is a stupid question to ask but I need to know if I am alone with my thoughts on this one.

The bible makes it clear that Mary was a virgin, but when I was younger, no one ever explained to me what virginity actually is. So, I always believed that Mary and Joseph were going to have a son, but she didn’t know it yet, so Gabriel came down and told her that not only was she going to have a baby, but she he was going to be chosen by god.

Now that I know that Mary supposedly didn’t have sex beforehand, I find that the younger me had made a better point. Doesn’t it make more sense for Mary and Joseph to have had sex and then afterwards have it be announced that they had produced a child of god?

Also, please do not decline that it’s not biologically possible. It’s not biologically possible. I think God and science work together, like evolution happened but he helped it happen. I think that Mary was not a virgin but under god’s will she produced the heir of god.

What do you think? I’m just curious to see if I’m alone on my claim.

I suggest you do some further study because you seem to be utterly confused. Mary’s perpetual virginity is dogma {and is the second Marian dogma}.

Here is a tract on Mary being ever-virgin.

Simply put, Mary and Joseph had no sexual relations before or after the birth of Jesus.

I’m sure others here will be able to explain in more detail and better than me. Have a good day! :slight_smile:

Coming from a protestant background, some beliefs concerning Mary have always been a challenge for me (perpetual virginity, immaculate conception, remained sinless, assumption). While I understand the reasons for these beliefs, and I have given my intellectual assent to them, I have admittedly never been able to embrace it with my heart in the same way that I am able to with the other tenants of the Christian Faith. I suppose the answer is to continue praying and remaining open to God’s grace to change my heart.
Lloyd

I believe that Our Lady remained ever-virgin, and there is evidence to suggest that the Blessed Mother was a consecrated virgin in the temple. If you look at some of the New Testament apocrypha, some of which carried certain historical levity, one reads of Mary being in the temple and meeting with the angels, being chosen by God to be perpetually a virgin.

I don’t think Jesus could have two human parents, else he would not be divine. Keeping in mind Christ’s humanity and divinity (the hypostatic union). I think having two human parents would not allow for that.

I believe, as in the apostle’s creed, that Jesus was born of a virgin.

In answer to the question, yes. I believe that Christ was conceived of the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary. Scripture is clear that Christ was conceived of a virgin, (Is. 7:14, Matt.1:18ff). The idea of Christ being produced by Mary and Joseph coming together is further contrary to Scripture as in Matthew where it is specifically stated that Mary was found with child “before they came together”. Also, in Luke 1, when Gabriel announces to Mary she will conceive and bear a son, she asks, “How can this be, seeing I know not a man?” (she was not thinking of coming together with Joseph). Gabriel responds, “THe Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee… therefore ALSO that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.” Nothing to do with Joseph.

Well, there were people to whom God announced that their baby was going to be special, and so yeah, you should definitely start having some sex if you want to participate. (Abraham and Sarah, for instance.) And then, the baby turned out to be St. Isaac, or St. Samuel, or even St. John the Baptist. Even Jeremiah was chosen to be a prophet while he was in his mother’s womb.

But that was the point. It had been done before. Old and barren women had been given children. Women who had been denied sex by their husbands had wangled it from them and been justified by God for standing up for their marital rights. Every kind of normal but unlikely baby happening had already happened.

But Mary was a virgin, like her Son would be. The Father wanted to make the Son’s coming to earth be a mighty sign, not a rerun.

God was doing something NEW with Jesus. Jesus would not just be a prophet, or a king, or even a messiah. Jesus would be God the Son, taking on flesh and becoming human, taking on death and willing to die, giving us His immortality by rising again in a perfectly human body.

More to the point, a miraculous virgin birth made it clear to his closest family that He was not just a prophet, or worse, a prophet with delusions of godhood. He was God’s Son, and nobody else in the entire history of the world would come into the world the way He did. His mother knew it in her own flesh, and she would be able to ponder it in her heart like nobody else. His father knew about it from an angelic dream and from being a witness, and he would be able to protect and love his adopted son and his virgin wife like nobody else. No matter what mockery or nosiness that Mary and Joseph might suffer, they would know the truth about their son, who was God’s Son. He alone was God made man.

Agree. It just makes perfect sense to me.
What woman ever born could be worthy of being His mother?
Only one who was born sinless and remained sinless.
God’s plan is perfect.

:thumbsup:

If you don’t believe Mary was a virgin because it’s not scientifically possible to become pregnant without a man and woman contributing biological matter to produce a child what do you believe about the Eucharist? As Catholics we believe the Eucharist becomes Jesus body, blood, soul and divinity -that Eucharist is not a symbol but actually Jesus. If God can do that I hardly think creating a child in Mary without a man would be impossible.

The point is God can do all things -Joseph is Jesus’ foster father not his biological father. Mary never engaged in sexual relations.

Amen, Mintaka!

Catholics are OBLIGED to believe in Mary’s perpetual virginity. This is dogma. Any Catholic who rejects this commits heresy.

That depends upon whether or not you believe that God is capable of intervening in this world.

If you do, then the same God who can heal the sick, raise the dead, multiply food, etc, is most likely capable of causing someone to conceive without sexual intercourse.

If not, then you have a good starting point for a cynical view of the whole religion: they had a child, told everyone that the child was actually God’s, and the myths sprang from there.

If this were true, and Mary and Joseph had sex, then explain Mary’s response to the angel, and her confusion at his statement that she would give birth to a son. She asks how it will happen. Babies are pretty simply biology. A woman who has intercourse knows she may get pregnant.

And yet Mary is baffled at how God is going to do this miracle.

If God can create everything that exists out ex nihilo, then incarnating in the womb of Mary is really not even difficult.

The bible assumes you know a bunch of stuff. Like the fact that there were women who were consecrated to God at a young age.

taylormarshall.com/2011/12/did-jewish-temple-virgins-exist-and-was.html

If just Mary and just Joseph had sex and had a baby, that baby would not be fully God and fully human.
There goes everything.

The Church has always taught that Mary is ever Virgin. It is heresy to say that she is not, and formal heresy to persist in saying it, once you know what the Church teaches. God bless you.

I do believe in Mary ever virgin. I have wondered though if Anne and Joachim knew at the time that Mary was conceived without sin? Was Anne aware that her child would become the mother of the Savior of the world?

Excellent! In the City of God, written by Ven. Mary of Agreda, we read that St. Anne was informed of certain things about Mary’s unique virtue and prerogatives, but I’m afraid that I can’t remember what I read. I am rereading this work, but it will take a while before I get to the part about St. Anne and the BVM. God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.