Do you believe in Our Lady of Guadalupe?

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Who is that?

In honor of the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe who appeared 482 yrs ago in 1531!!!

The miracle of the Tilma of Juan Diego brought in about 8,000,000 converts to the Catholic Faith in the Americas just 10 years after Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Church in 1521 taking with him some German Catholics out of the Church.

What is there not to believe?

I would LIKE to, but my scientific mind won’t let me for some reason. I do however believe in Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Lady of Fatima…go figure. :shrug:

How is Our Lady of Guadalupe less convincing? Faith is not based on scientific evidence. Science allows to determine natural or supernatural.

Yes, I do believe in Our Lady of Guadalupe. How wonderful that God has allowed us to have this gift of a miracle. It helps me to focus on the goodness of God, and the privileges of Our Lady.

I have the book “Handbook on Guadalupe” that tells all about it, and the history of the time. It also tells about the symbols in her picture that the Aztecs understood and converted because of that.

More recently, I have heard of more phenomena regarding the picture. While we are not compelled to believe in it, I feel very blessed in doing so and in being so inspired by it.

I don’t know :shrug: I wish I could explain it, but for some reason, I just don’t identify with her in that apparition or something??

I also think that with Lourdes, the water that still flows is evidence of miracle, in Fatima the many witnesses are, but the physical image of Our Lady of Guadalupe gives me doubt as to the authenticity. I’ve read a lot of random sites about it indicating that it has been painted over, etc. Also, I live in Texas, and the celebration seems less about religion here than it does about a celebration of Mexican Culture.

I am not saying that it is not true, just that it is harder for me to accept/believe than some other apparitions.

I do believe in the Guadalupe apparitions on the same line as Our Lady of Lourdes and Fatima.
Our Lady of Guadalupe ment so much for the growth of the Church in Mexico, I do believe in it and I do love her:)

Btw why is this thread posted in the non catholic section?
I can’t think of many others than us Catholics that are even willing to consider believing in the Apparations of The Blessed Virgin.

• Pax Christi

Our Lady of Guadalupe is the only apparition that left a picture of herself. On a tilma which should have rotted by now.

Yep that is one I totally accept.

ETA: All apparitions seem to be of the country of origin which is fine by me. OLG is the look of the people in Mexico and that seems very fitting to me.

Never underestimate the power of denial… :frowning:

Miraculous Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe

provides much interesting information on this inexplicable image.

Certainly do believe in Our Lady of Guadalupe!! The tilma was made from a very rough fiber made from the agave cactus. It generally falls apart in 5 years. One which was made and protected under glass (which the tilma of Our Lady was not for a great many years), fell apart & rotted after 10 years. There is no paint on the original image. As for her looking like an Aztec Indian, of course she did! She was talking to Juan Diego, who was an Aztec Indian in his own language. By appearing in the clothing of an Aztec of high rank, with the symbols of an Aztec of the ruling class (stars on the covering, the light cloth of her gown, the black/dark ribbon at her waist (which indicated pregnancy in their culture) and her hair down (which indicated virginity) she was a great sign to the Indians who saw the image. Also, in 1531, the winter solstice actually fell on Dec. 12th, which was a day that was important to the Aztecs.

That is why so many converted after the image was seen by them. They knew she was one of them, and had said she was their Mother, and they accepted both her and her Son based on this image. How wonderful that she can bring her Son to even the pagans just by showing that she loves them as a Mother!

OLG appeared right smack in the center of the American Continents. We who live in any country in either the North American Continent, Central American or the Southern American Continent, have full claim to OLG. btw - was Mexico already a ‘country’ in 1531?

Really? It’s all the Scientific proof found in the Tilma of Juan Diego that compels me to believe it.

The OP is a non-Catholic and wants to know where non-Catholics (& Catholics) stand on Our Lady of Guadalupe and the scientifically proven miracles found within the Tilma of Juan Diego.

lol - priceless!

Why yes I do!! She was the first apparition I was introduced to and has been the queen of my heart every since, I live in mexico so I had the privelege of going tepeyac to visit her basilica and I will say she is awe inspring and up close you can tell she is no painting Juan Diegos tilma on which she left her image was made of cactus fiber should have disentegrated centuries ago but it is intact even my mother who is non religious believes the image was miraculously made

No, Mexico was part of Spain then.

I am of the understanding that some parts of the edges (sides?) of the tilma, and perhaps the bottom part where the angels are depicted has been embellished,…but that has nothing at all to do with the miraculous image (I very much believe) which, upon close examination shows that it appears to be “floating” above the cactus fibres.

However, as long as you love our Lord and His Blessed Mother, to not believe in it won’t harm you.
Perhaps if you read more about it you can come to believe in it, and be inspired by it. :slight_smile:

I find our lady of Guadalupe the easiest to believe since actual evidence was left behind that you can see

absolutely, I BELIEVE

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.