Do you believe non-catholics are saved?

do you believe that a person that is not of the catholic religion can be saved??? especially if he does not want to participate in your denomination. but, rather chooses to follow the bible instead on his own accord…

Ceasar

Can they? Yes. I believe all things are possible with God.

Will they? I don’t know. If He calls them, then hopefully they hear His voice. The details of any required standing with the Catholic Church are for theologians to discuss, as I am relatively disinterested. I try to figure out how to love them as Christ loved us, in the highest level abstraction of the concept as possible so as to keep within Christ’s two greatest commandments on all levels. I find St. Francis’ prayer good for that. Sometimes I will play on the piano and the childen sing the song “St. Francis’ Prayer.”

Alan

well what if the person takes romans 10:9 and follows that and believes…all you have to do is confess with your mouth and believe with your heart and your saved…like in acts 16 when the jailer asks how might i be saved…they replied you must believe…jesus countless times said you must “believe” well…it is my undestanding that all you have to do is be a believer and your saved…

Ceasar

[quote=ceasar]well what if the person takes romans 10:9 and follows that and believes…all you have to do is confess with your mouth and believe with your heart and your saved…like in acts 16 when the jailer asks how might i be saved…they replied you must believe…jesus countless times said you must “believe” well…it is my undestanding that all you have to do is be a believer and your saved…
Ceasar
[/quote]

Hello Ceasar,

While it is true that all you have to do is believe in Jesus to be saved, I believe that you are not putting a biblical definition to Christ’s word believe. By studying the bible one finds out that to “believe”, as the bible uses the term, means to do as Christ teaches you to do. Christ commands us to obey God’s commandment and feed the poor if we wish to go to heaven (Mark 10:17)(MAT 25:31). Many Protestants make up their own definition to the biblical word “believe” which does not include Jesus teachings to obey the commandments and feed the poor to go to heaven. If you do what Jesus tells you to do, or in other words “believe”, then yes you will be saved.

Please visit Believe which studies the bibles hundreds of uses of the term.

NAB JOH 3:36

Whoever believes in the Son has life eternal. Whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but must endure the wrath of God.NAB LUK 8:13

Those on the rocky ground are the ones who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. They have no root; **they believe **for a while, but fall away in time of temptation. NIV PSA 78:32

In spite of all this, they kept on sinning; in spite of his wonders, they did not believe

NAB MAR 1:15

Reform your lives and believe in the gospel!

NAB LUK 9:35

[indent]Then from the cloud came a voice which said, “This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him.”[/indent]NAB JOH 12:44

Jesus proclaimed aloud: “Whoever puts faith in me believes not so much in me as in him who sent me; and whoever looks on me is seeing him who sent me. I have come to the world as its light, to keep anyone who **believes **in me from remaining in the dark. If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I am not the one to condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it. Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words already has his judge, namely, the word I have spoken it is that which will condemn him on the last day. For I have not spoken on my own; no, the Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to speak. Since I know that his commandment means eternal life, whatever I say is spoken just as he instructed me.” NAB JOH 8:31

"If you live according to my teaching, you are truly my disciples; then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."NAB JAM 2:14

My brothers, what good is it to profess faith without practicing it? Such faith has no power to save one, has it? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, “Good-bye and good luck! Keep warm and well fed,” but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that? so it is with the faith that does nothing in practice. It is thoroughly lifeless.

To such a person one might say, You have faith and I have works is that it? Show me your faith without works, and I will show you the faith that underlies my works! Do you believe that God is one? you are quite right. The demons believe that, and shudder.

NAB MAT 7:21

"None of those who cry out, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of God but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

NAB LUK 6:43

Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord’ and not put into practice what I teach you?" NAB 1JO 2:3

The way we can be sure of our knowledge of him is to keep his commandments, The man who claims, “I have known him,” without keeping his commandments, is a liar, in such a one there is no truth.

As my brotha in the Son of the Virgin Motha, John Paul the Great once said:

Normally, “it will be in the sincere practice of what is good in their own religious traditions and by following the dictates of their own conscience that the members of other religions respond positively to God’s invitation and receive salvation in Jesus Christ, even while they do not recognize or acknowledge him as their Saviour (cf. Ad gentes, nn. 3, 9, 11)” (Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue – Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples ( I believe I cut off the rest of the source when I orginally copied and storied this quote…sorry)

rome has spoke case closed, that is scary. Non catholic, I believe we are Christians not catholic. Christ was not a catholic or any other man made religion. Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Man made? As Catholics we hold that it is founded by Christ, so not as man made. And you’re right; Jesus wasn’t a Catholic. Or a Christian for that matter. He was a Jew.:thumbsup:

[quote=rtkiii66]Non catholic, I believe we are Christians not catholic.
[/quote]

Technically, “Christians” encompass more than just Catholics only when “Christian” is defined significantly vague.

[quote=rtkiii66]Christ was not a catholic or any other man made religion.
[/quote]

Catholicism is not a man-made religion. Jesus started the Catholic Church.

[quote=rtkiii66]Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
[/quote]

Not sure what the point of those quotes are… don’t forget, though, that the Bible is also a product of the Catholic Church.

[quote=rtkiii66]rome has spoke case closed, that is scary. Non catholic, I believe we are Christians not catholic. Christ was not a catholic or any other man made religion. Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
[/quote]

Just for fun…
Martin Luther founded Lutheranism.
Henry VIII founded the Anglican church.
John Wesley founded Methodism.

If you believe…>>Christ was not a catholic or any other man made religion<<, then out of curiosity, who was the man who founded Catholicism?

Thal59

The Catholic church INDIRECTLY teaches that no one can be saved outside the RCC. By this they mean that one must receive the sacraments to receive salvation. Although, due to the late Pope John Paul’s ecumenical efforts, he kind of said people of other faiths were accepted of God as well. So this is a catch 22 question right now.

I believe that any catholic who leaves the church for another denomination and becomes other than Catholic and also a rabid anti-catholic is NOT saved.

But Jesus is all merciful and we never know what happens just before death…:smiley:

Blessings,
Shoshana

What I’ve read is that, for leaving the Church to be a mortal sin, they have to have full knowledge that it was the Church established by Christ.

[quote=Thal59]Just for fun…
Martin Luther founded Lutheranism.
Henry VIII founded the Anglican church.
John Wesley founded Methodism.

If you believe…>>Christ was not a catholic or any other man made religion<<, then out of curiosity, who was the man who founded Catholicism?

Thal59
[/quote]

I think you will find the book of martyrs eye opening.

[quote=gladtobe]The Catholic church INDIRECTLY teaches that no one can be saved outside the RCC. By this they mean that one must receive the sacraments to receive salvation. Although, due to the late Pope John Paul’s ecumenical efforts, he kind of said people of other faiths were accepted of God as well. So this is a catch 22 question right now.
[/quote]

Let me get right to the point on this, what does the bible say about salvation?

[quote=Luke-Jr]Technically, “Christians” encompass more than just Catholics only when “Christian” is defined significantly vague.

Catholicism is not a man-made religion. Jesus started the Catholic Church.

Not sure what the point of those quotes are… don’t forget, though, that the Bible is also a product of the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Point out in scripture where Jesus started the catholic church.

The bible is a product of the revelation of God to Man which came through hundreds of scribes and prophets and paints a perfect picture of Gods will for man.

The point of the bible quotes are in the beginning Christ was the Word.

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]Man made? As Catholics we hold that it is founded by Christ, so not as man made. And you’re right; Jesus wasn’t a Catholic. Or a Christian for that matter. He was a Jew.:thumbsup:
[/quote]

I sure you mean the Son of God :cool:

[quote=ceasar]do you believe that a person that is not of the catholic religion can be saved??? especially if he does not want to participate in your denomination. but, rather chooses to follow the bible instead on his own accord…

Ceasar
[/quote]

Ceasar

Follow the bible and get into a full Gospel church. It is important to get the Truth. You have to wonder why people will blindly follow a church which uses a cannon or specific set of Gospel teachings and repeats them continually. The Word says “My childern will perish for a lack of knowledge”. Jesus is the Light

Follow the bible and get into a full Gospel church

The fullness of the Gospel rest only in the Catholic Church

Point out in scripture where Jesus started the catholic church.

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church,

[quote=Ann Cheryl]The fullness of the Gospel rest only in the Catholic Church
[/quote]

The catholic church teaches from a cannon not the full Gospel.

The Rock Christ is speaking of is Himself.

Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

[quote=rtkiii66]Let me get right to the point on this, what does the bible say about salvation?
[/quote]

And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us:hmmm: And Jesus said to Peter you are Rock and upon this Rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.:clapping: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: You may want to visit the Vatican sometime Saint Peter is buried under the main alter:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.