Do you believe that God or Jesus have a horse in this race?

Between Trump and Clinton?

This campaign year has pretty well convinced me that the United States, as a country and as a society, has reached the Romans 1:28 stage in its relationship with God. I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. In this case, I hope that I am wrong. But I don’t think that I am.

Do you honestly believe that God ever had a horse in American political races? There is far more in God’s creation that just the United States of America.

God cares about ALL of his people, including those who are Americans. So yes, he cares that each voter discern as best able which candidate will serve our country and its citizens most ably and who also will fulfill God’s will for our country. I’d expect for many Christians, discernment between these two unpopular and unappealing candidates is more an assessment of who will do the least harm rather than the most good.

I’m reminded of the words of Abraham Lincoln when one of his advisers expressed assurance that God was on the side of the Union in the Civil War – “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.”

This is pretty much where I am as well.

I’d say He has a horse in the race so far as He doesn’t want us to elect someone who openly and actively promotes the slaughter of His unborn children…

God desires our salvation. Neither Trump nor Clinton will save us. We’re in for hard times, but I am hopeful that through this adversity, many will come to know, love, and serve God. Do not despair, but keep moving on the Way. Keep working in God’s plan for the salvation of the world.

Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have being.
Put not your trust in princes,
in a son of man, in whom there is no help.
When his breath departs he returns to his earth;
on that very day his plans perish.

Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord his God,
who made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that is in them;
who keeps faith for ever;
who executes justice for the oppressed;
who gives food to the hungry.

The Lord sets the prisoners free;
the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
the Lord loves the righteous.
The Lord watches over the sojourners,
he upholds the widow and the fatherless;
but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
The Lord will reign for ever,
thy God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the Lord!

Insofar as everything that happens is part of God’s plan, then yes. Remember that God is outside of time and he already knows the outcome of this particular event, and how it all fits with his divine will.

Well said !

I agree. And we need to pray for our enemies and draw closer to Christ…or how could others recognize Him in us? Be not afraid.

He allowed Obama to be elected so I think he is letting us use our free will.

:thumbsup:

I was thinking similar thoughts to yours, Beryllos.

I highlighted the last sentence of your post, because I find it to be very comforting and encouraging.

I also personally believe that we can also do much for each other in this country and this world through continued prayer, too.

May God bless all of us.

Yeah. I think He is just letting come what may. He’s not giving up on us. Our country gave up on Him first, a long time ago. We have continued to keep Him out by failure to repent and amend our sinful ways.

When has America ever been a truly Christian nation? Just because there has been a plethora of demonizations here doesn’t mean that it made America “Christian.” Catholics were discriminated for a very long time.

Looking at the election returns… Now I’m thinking He does. :wink:

A whole lot of people are praying.
God is not ignoring us.
He has a plan for this country, and for each of us individually. Whether we will like the plan for the country or not is another question. We need to pray as if it all depended on God, and work as if it all depends on us.

How can he bless a country that murders it’s unborn? That;s the first thing we need to change.

Why do you differentiate between God and Jesus? Jesus is God.

What do you mean by God or Jesus? Isn’t that the same thing?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.