Do you believe the Catholic Church is absolutely right in everything?

Beliefs, teachings and dogmas.

Absolutely, or I’d never have been reconciled to the Church from another ecclesial body.

Without the truth, there is no solid religion. Without solid religion there is no security in this life or the next.

It is actually important to note that the Church does not even teach that she is “absolutely right in everything”.

There are various kinds of teachings etc…

As to what the Church Teaches -do I believe what the Church Teaches?

-Yes! I hold and profess what the Church Teaches and reject what she rejects…for he who founded the Church and gave her authority to teach is Jesus of Nazareth the Logos --the Son of God.

And He and the Father sent the Holy Spirit to the Church at Pentecost …

Most definitely yes!

I quietly and privately disagree with some things and have some doubts about others. God already knows about it though so I won’t go into details.

Certainly not, but the degree depends on what you count. If you count all the billion+ Catholics, no question at least one of them has been wrong about at least one thing. If you mean all non-lay Catholics, still it is not really debatable that at least one Catholic priest, bishop, etc. in the past two millennia has been wrong about at least one thing.

If you only count popes, also no: there have been some pretty wrong popes in the past. I’m not sure exactly if Catholics consider the Catechism to be error-liable or not.

Unless I’m mistaken (and that’s not a very big ‘unless;’ I’m hardly even an amateur on these subjects) the only thing that is absolutely right are the infallible statements made by Pope Pius IX in 1854 that Mary was conceived without original sin, and by Pius XII in 1950 that Mary was assumed bodily into Heaven. Everything else is susceptible to error, at least in theory. There are a lot of teachings I’m sure Catholics consider infallible for all intents and purposes, just not nominally.

As I’ve written before in these kinds of threads, it’s not a matter of God convincing us that his Church is right in matters of faith and morals–he already declared that. It’s a matter of trust. Do we trust that the Church is what it claims to be, that it has the right and duty to teach the truths Christ imparted to it, and that it will be guided by the Holy Spirit in deciding matters of faith and morals? If the answer is yes then we need to trust because if we don’t we cannot be certain what is true, which has led and will continue to lead people into making all sorts of disastrous decisions that destroy them and society.

So far as its dogmatic theology is concerned, yes. This is what separates us from the Protestants. Some Catholics do not believe everything the Church teaches is absolutely true. These people are called heretics. For example: any Catholic who believes abortion or same-sex marriage are natural rights is a heretic. Such a person is no longer in communion with Rome. Many Protestants would also consider such people to be heretics. It is a pride-filled and shameful matter for people to oppose the teachings of the Church … to set themselves up as infallible authorities whose judgments make void the infallibility of the Church.

As Thomas Aquinas is reported to have said to our Lord on his deathbed:

“Thee have I preached; Thee have I taught. Never have I said anything against Thee. If anything was not well said, that is to be attributed to my ignorance. Neither do I wish to be obstinate in my opinions, but if I have written anything erroneous … I submit all to the judgment and correction of the Holy Roman Church, in whose obedience I now pass from this life.”

Some aspects of the Church teachings are relative, rather than dogmatic. They can be changed over time at the discretion of the Church. Such aspects might be rules for fasting and abstinence, marital rights for clergy, cremation versus burial of remains, etc.

Short answer: no. But I also don’t believe Judaism, as interpreted by the ancient and modern sages and rabbis, is right about everything. According to my view, no one religion has a definitive handle on everything, and that’s fine with me.

Yes, Yes, Yes:thumbsup:

I do.

Yeah, I do. There are a lot of teachings that I don’t understand, but the Church hasn’t let me down yet. I don’t have any reason to disbelieve anything it teaches, and those teachings that I do understand are wonderful, beautiful, and line up perfectly with what I know to be the truth. So while there are still many issues that I don’t understand, I am going to trust the Church until I do understand. :slight_smile:

Of course, the Church doesn’t speak to every kind of knowledge, only matters of faith and morals. And it cannot teach anything other than what God has revealed to be true in Christ. It’s really quite narrow in that regard, but the ramifications permeate the whole of the human experience.

In all matters of faith and morals, yes.

I completely agree.:thumbsup:

On everything, no. I don’t believe anything at all can be right on everything.

Yes. I believe it has the fullness of truth.

Yes. She only claims that the fullness of truth subsists within her. This means that all we need for our salvation and to lead lives pleasing to God lies within her teachings and practices.

I believe that the Catholic Church is absolutely right about absolutely everything that it says it is absolutely right about in an absolute way.

I tend to think that it’s probably right about nearly everything else.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.