Do you believe the Latin Mass..is?

Do you believe that the Latin Mass is gaining popularity again? Or do you think it is phasing out almost completely? I mean in 20 years from do you think it will be celebrated at all?

If you are referring to the Tridentine Mass, I think that it is gaining in popularity.

Hopefully, 20 years from now we will have many more Tridentine Masses, and also more opportunities for Confirmation at Tridentine Masses.:yup:

The Tridentine Mass is absolutely wonderful!

Not to undermined your thread… but how many Tridentine mass discussions does one need?

Now I will promptly give my insight…

Yes to your first question. I believe it will continue, I see no reason why it’d fade out, because most people are not in it for a hit of nostalgia. The liturgy it’s self will be with the church for many years, and hopefully it will continue to progress with the help of those who have given there support, and those groups that do all that they can to spread the mass. A problem is, alot of Bishops aren’t being generous with it. Pope Benedict XVI (then Cardinal Ratzinger - when he said it) has also stated such.

[quote=Freeway4321]Not to undermined your thread… but how many Tridentine mass discussions does one need?

Now I will promptly give my insight…

Yes to your first question. I believe it will continue, I see no reason why it’d fade out, because most people are not in it for a hit of nostalgia. The liturgy it’s self will be with the church for many years, and hopefully it will continue to progress with the help of those who have given there support, and those groups that do all that they can to spread the mass. A problem is, alot of Bishops aren’t being generous with it. Pope Benedict XVI (then Cardinal Ratzinger - when he said it) has also stated such.
[/quote]

I am 23 years old, and a recent convert, so you can’t accuse me of being in it for a “hit of nostalgia”!

The Tridentine Mass teaches respect!

[quote=GoLatin]I am 23 years old, and a recent convert, so you can’t accuse me of being in it for a “hit of nostalgia”!

[/quote]

there is also a lot to respect at the normative mass, there is a place for both rites in our church,there is nothing wrong with the no,

Some times we read a post to fast. I do it all the time.

Mr. Freeway said people who prefer the traditional mass are not doing it for the nostalgia.

with Christ

WH

[quote=GoLatin]I am 23 years old, and a recent convert, so you can’t accuse me of being in it for a “hit of nostalgia”!

[/quote]

So then by your definition then all those who love Disco today are not doing so because of nostalgia as they were not around then either.

By the true definition of Nostalgia,

1 : the state of being homesick : HOMESICKNESS
2 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition; also : something that evokes nostalgia

You could be there becuase of nostalgia. As in a yearning for something of the past.

[quote=Walking_Home]Some times we read a post to fast. I do it all the time.

Mr. Freeway said people who prefer the traditional mass are not doing it for the nostalgia.

with Christ

WH
[/quote]

Thank you.

My exact quote “I see no reason why it’d fade out, because most people are not in it for a hit of nostalgia”

I would have to say no unless the increase of the Latin Tridentine becomes more available for the masses. In ALL of BC, there is only ONE church that offers the Latin Tridentine sung Mass, and another church that offers the Low Mass, and it is too far from us that live in Surrey, i.e. me :P.

I am encouraged by the young adults who have joined us regularly for our TLM. They are certainly not nostalgic.

Also I spoke recently to someone who had attended Mass at a church when she was on holiday. They sung the Kyrie Eleison, Gloria, Creed, Sanctus, Pater Nosta, & Agnus Dei.

The experience was a first for her and she loved it. She wanted to know why they don’t do that at all Sunday Masses. :confused:

I want to say one more thing that I forgot to in my last reply.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia… Well, Disco is a whole different thing.

[quote=Gregory24]Do you believe that the Latin Mass is gaining popularity again? Or do you think it is phasing out almost completely? I mean in 20 years from do you think it will be celebrated at all?
[/quote]

I believe it is gaining in popularity and fully expect it celebrated more in the future. I don’t think it will become as widespread as the NO however. I think it would be great if each parish would offer the Latin Mass each Sunday for atleast one Mass.

[quote=Gregory24]Do you believe that the Latin Mass is gaining popularity again? Or do you think it is phasing out almost completely? I mean in 20 years from do you think it will be celebrated at all?
[/quote]

Yeah, I believe it’s gaining popularity. At my parish there are a good mix of ages. I would have to say that at least more than half are younger (in the 20-40 range). That means that it’s not Mass that will be dying out with its attendees. It will continue and I pray that it will once again be the normative Mass one day.

Do you believe that the Latin Mass is gaining popularity again? Or do you think it is phasing out almost completely? I mean in 20 years from do you think it will be celebrated at all?

I think it will be phasing out, at least in the medium term.

The number of older priests who know how to say the latin mass are dying off at an increasing rate.

In addition, the relative handful of FSSP and other younger priests who have been trained in saying latin mass are going to probably be increasingly pressed into service to lead mainstream parishes, to relieve the coming priest shortage.

[quote=Kielbasi]I think it will be phasing out, at least in the medium term.

The number of older priests who know how to say the latin mass are dying off at an increasing rate.

In addition, the relative handful of FSSP and other younger priests who have been trained in saying latin mass are going to probably be increasingly pressed into service to lead mainstream parishes, to relieve the coming priest shortage.
[/quote]

Our pastor is not of the FSSP. He learned and says the TLM at our Indult downtown in a rotation with other priests.
He is 37 years old.

If the parishes begin to offer a reverent N.O. with a sprinkling of Historically Catholic traditions, I think that the TLM could phase out or be kept for special occasions.
While parishes continue to offer only Modern masses with a sprinkling of innovations, the TLM will still be around. Some people still want a Historically Catholic mass, not a liturgy that changes with a Liturgical Director’s whims.

To quote Bishop Bruskewitz in the Foreward to my Baronius Missal:

The traditional rites are not antiques frozen in 1962, but are vey much alive and continue to bear spiritual fruit in the Mystical Body of Christ in the 21st Century.”

The availability of the traditional Mass depends solely on bishops willing to follow the directive of JPII and make it widely available. Some bishops will, some won’t. So it goes.

I’m also not sure what is meant by “the coming priest shortage.” I thought we currently had a priest shortage. You mean there’s a shorter shortage on the horizon??? Seems to me faithful Catholics are squeezing out kids at an edifying rate. That’s where the priests are going to come from. Though small in number, I have a feeling they’ll be fiercely loyal to the Church. But then, there’ll be fewer faithful Catholics in the future too, so we won’t need as many priests, will we? The liberal Church-hating eunuchs and other practitioners of sterile sex aren’t reproducing and will eventually be all but extinct. Addition by subtraction. :clapping:

[quote=Dr. Bombay]To quote Bishop Bruskewitz in the Foreward to my Baronius Missal:

The traditional rites are not antiques frozen in 1962, but are vey much alive and continue to bear spiritual fruit in the Mystical Body of Christ in the 21st Century.”

The availability of the traditional Mass depends solely on bishops willing to follow the directive of JPII and make it widely available. Some bishops will, some won’t. So it goes.

I’m also not sure what is meant by “the coming priest shortage.” I thought we currently had a priest shortage. You mean there’s a shorter shortage on the horizon??? Seems to me faithful Catholics are squeezing out kids at an edifying rate. That’s where the priests are going to come from. Though small in number, I have a feeling they’ll be fiercely loyal to the Church. But then, there’ll be fewer faithful Catholics in the future too, so we won’t need as many priests, will we? The liberal Church-hating eunuchs and other practitioners of sterile sex aren’t reproducing and will eventually be all but extinct. Addition by subtraction. :clapping:
[/quote]

They already are… Like Frs Perrone, Hedges, Ricardo, Garonski, etc. in our general area alone. They stand out like the burning bush.

[/quote]

DITTO TO THAT!

[/quote]

and…

The Tridentine Mass IS respect.

[quote=netmilsmom]Our pastor is not of the FSSP. He learned and says the TLM at our Indult downtown in a rotation with other priests.
He is 37 years old.

If the parishes begin to offer a reverent N.O. with a sprinkling of Historically Catholic traditions, I think that the TLM could phase out or be kept for special occasions.
While parishes continue to offer only Modern masses with a sprinkling of innovations, the TLM will still be around. Some people still want a Historically Catholic mass, not a liturgy that changes with a Liturgical Director’s whims.
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.