Do you believe this?

I have good friends that are of the Catholic faith. They are so funny!!!
one of my friends told me a joke and said that most Catholics believe that they will be only ones in Heaven.
My friend studied the faith and its history of the Pope and I have to say,I was shocked!!

Do you believe that people of the Catholic faith are the only ones going to heaven?

No.

Nope.

That “joke” is an ANTI-Catholic joke. It’s insulting to Catholics. I have no idea why your friend, if they are a Catholic, would tell such an ignorant joke that advances a false stereotype of Catholics.

No (but I went to a Catholic school in the 1950’s and that’s exactly what I was taught).

No.
I’ve been educated on this in RCIA and its a clear no.

Sadly, your friends apparently don’t understand some basic teachings of their own faith. It’s hard enough correcting misunderstandings about the Catholic faith without Catholics who don’t know what they’re talking about making it worse. :frowning:

we do not know who goes to heaven or not. that is not up to us to decide. that is up to God to decide and not man.

I would like to elaborate on a “no” answer.

While not everyone in Heaven will have been Catholic, once everyone makes it to Heaven they will BE Catholic.

Nothing that is not perfect will enter heaven. Therefore, we are purified in Purgatory prior to entering Heaven. Those who have not gone to hell, but are not yet ready for Heaven, will be made ready through purification in Purgatory. That includes belief in Christ’s One True Faith through His Catholic Church. So - should a Protestant make it to Purgatory, they will be Catholic by the time they enter Heaven, because any non-perfect beliefs (such as Sola Scriptura, Rapture, etc.) will be changed in their heart and they will be made perfect. And perfection is (but not exclusively) belief and agreement with all the teachings of the Catholic Faith.

So - while the joke can be seen as anti-Catholic and nasty by some, I personally see it as more accurate and true than most would like to admit, in the politically correct society we live in.

~Liza

can I ask for clarification here too??

I’m not catholic and this confuses me too

I thought that the understanding was that nearly all non catholics will not be in eaven UNLESS they have had no way to ever learn from the church ie. totally ignorant through no fault of their own

so… I know the answer is not an absolute no…and nobody can know for sure… but does that sound right? cos I hear various answers to this.

S

no, and it is not Church teaching, and no, few if any Catholics really believe this. If you would like to move beyond jokes and casual conversation, you have come to the right place, welcome to the forums.

CCC
On-line version can be found here

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

818 “However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist.“324”

Yes. Everyone in Heaven will be members of the Body of Christ–the universal Church Triumphant. Whether or not that means one had to be a card-carrying formal member of the Catholic Church as an absolute is the question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.