Do you believe with utmost certainty that unbaptized babies go to Heaven?

So I was talking about this in another thread, but I think it’s a good topic for all Religions/denominations (I don’t only seek Christian opinions).

My question isn’t “Is it possible?” but rather “Are you certain?”

A stillborn baby, an aborted baby, or parents who just didn’t think a baby should be baptized; can you say with certainty that the baby goes to Heaven?

I’m really interested in all opinions.

In my opinion, all young innocent Children go to Heaven. (if there is a Heaven, which I hope there is)

The fact is this: There are NO such thing as Catholic children, Jewish Children, Muslim Children, there are just Children.

Young children are the definition of pure and innocent and I do believe with utmost certainty that as the Beatles sang, all good children go to Heaven.

Yes. (Pretty much what Ositokc said, particularly pertaining to babies, except of course I am fully confident that there is a Heaven!)

I am certain of it too. I don’t see how God could justly condemn someone who had no ability (either from time or mental capacity) to make any decision. In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were condemned not for eating the forbidden fruit, but for not taking responsibility for their actions. Sin requires knowledge.

100% certain? Nope.

yes-a loving God would do that

a better question is - do they “grow up” in heavan to enjoy the full fruits of Humanity?

I agree with you and the other posters. As to your question, I also wonder what the glorified, resurrected body of a child would be–the adult they never lived to become?

I am not certain. I think it is highly probable.

One thing we can be 100% certain of is that every child who is unbaptized remains in the state of Original Sin. Another thing we can be 100% certain of is that if that child does indeed go to heaven, he is somehow cleansed of that stain and attains salvation only through the merits of the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of our Lord. I don’t think it would be our place to say with assurance that unbaptized children definitely go to heaven. But we can be certain that our Lord is infinitely merciful and should hope that the merits of the Paschal Mystery are applied to such souls in a manner that remains mysterious to us.

yes

Since it is not part of that which has been divinely revealed, I would not claim 100% certainty in this regard. We hold out hope. It may even seem pretty likely. But to be absolutely certain? I don’t see how that is possible.

It is not that I wish against it, or that I do not believe it to be true. However, I am of the disposition, that eternal destinations for any human cannot be fully proved as certain. With that said, I trust that a merciful God, who “is Love,” will allow these little children into his kingdom. One-Hundred percent certain? No. Do I believe it to happen? You freaking bet.

I don’t think I can be certain, because I don’t know of any source that has the command of absolute certainty that clearly says the unbaptized can go to heaven.

Sacred Scripture doesn’t say that the unbaptized can go to heaven in any place that I’m aware of.

Sacred Tradition doesn’t say it in any place that I’m aware of either.

The Magisterium doesn’t say it in any place that I’m aware of either.

My intuition tells me that a nice person would let an unbaptized baby into heaven, and therefore God would.

But I don’t think my intuition is a source of absolute certainty. Therefore, I don’t think I can be certain on this point.

Does that make sense?

I’m not 100% certain.

(I am certain because I am 100% certain God is merciful.)

“Let the children come to me. Do not prevent them…” Yup.

I agree with Joe. We cannot claim any certainty in here. As other poster said we do know with certainty that those children are stained with original.sin and we do know that God is merciful and just. We hope that the lord in his justice and infinite mercy cleans those innocent souls.

For what it’s worth, King David had definite certainty that he’d see his son in heaven. In 2 Samuel 12:15-25 his son is born very ill; David weeps, fasts, and pleads with God to grant healing, but the child passes away on the seventh day (before a child would customarily be baptized/circumcised).

Yet when the child passes away, David immediately stopped grieving, "…arose from the earth and washed and anointed himself and changed his clothes. And he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. He then went to his own house. And when he asked, they set food before him, and he ate. Then his servants said to him, “What is this thing that you have done? You fasted and wept for the child while he was alive; but when the child died, you arose and ate food.” He said, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, ‘Who knows whether the LORD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?’ But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.”

That’s what I wonder as well. Would, in the case of my mother’s first child who died at 3 weeks…does she now hold him in her arms in heaven? Or did she “meet” him as a 33 yr. old adult? ( say that because a person once said sort of jokingly, that, maybe we’re all 33 in heaven, the age of Jesus when He redeemed us, but that’s a separate argument ;))

But yeah. What age are they? The same? Grown? What about us? Are the 90 year olds still 90?
I guess I’ve never heard a priest speak to this. I’ll have to ask my boss. :wink:

Yes. I would agree as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.