Do you believe?

Do YOU believe that only God can forgive sins?

WHY?

GBY

Patrick

As all sins are sins against God whom created is and sustains us in existence, and to whom we owe a debt of obedience, yes I believe that only God can forgive sins and heal the negative consequences of those sins. I can forgive someone for hurting me, (and I should because that’s what God commands me to do) but that doesn’t substitute for God’s forgiveness and healing power. I also believe that God can and does use mortal instruments (priests) as the method He wants us to use in seeking his forgiveness.

Yes, I believe only God can forgive sins. All throughout the Qur’an, forgiveness is obtained via repentance – repentance to God alone. “Say, ‘O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful’.” (surah 39:53)

God/Allah is the one who forgives sins. Nowhere in the Qur’an is that attribute attributed to a human, angel or jinn. It’s only applied to Him. :smiley:

Hello Pjm,

pjm>>>Do YOU believe that only God can forgive sins?<<<

We know God is one. Without a clear understanding of what that means there isn’t a clear line between what he can do and what we can do. With regards to sin the way it is forgiven is when the individual forgives. This was taught by Jesus over and over.
MT 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
MT 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye
from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Greetings

Since you guys sort of believe in the bible as well, how do you reconcile Jesus forgiving sins in the gospel? And even granting such authority to men?

Thanks

Hello Lenten ashes,

I suppose this is the verse your referring to:
JN 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith
unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
JN 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and
whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

My understanding (mostly from the book of Acts), of what Jesus accomplished (and this is all he accomplished) is that he brought the Holy Ghost into the world.  I interpret everything he says in that light.  Based on the law of Karma everything we do (good or bad) comes back to us.  Through the power of the HG we are now able to forgive people who harm us.  If we choose to forgive then that particular Karmic pattern is remitted.  If we don't forgive then it is retained.

My friend, I know your quite well informed:)

Have you come across the term: “personal christi”? And do have any idea what it means?

God Bless you

Patrick

For those, who like ME, did not know who Edward Cayce is:

“Twentieth Century Psychic and Medical Clairvoyant. Edgar Cayce (pronounced Kay-Cee, 1877-1945) has been called the “sleeping prophet,” the “father of holistic medicine,” and the most documented psychic of the 20th century”

So my friend, HOW IYO do 1 John 5:16-17 & John 20:19-23 , relate to the passages you shared?

GBY

Patrick

And my friend, you believe THIS on what basis?

[1] Really and that WHY Catholicism has existed for 2,000 years and has countless Martyrs for their Faith who GAVE their lives in the most hideous way’s?

[2] John 14:26 "But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost,** whom the Father will send in my name**, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you

[3] Love thy Neighbor as yourself is the “GOLDEN Rule”, Very good! BUT what about sin forgiveness?

1 John 1: 8-10 " [8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

[4] So in your opinion are the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost GOD?

[5] What in your opinion is the origin of the Moral Laws?

God Bless you,

Patrick

Ok I’ll admit, I saw this thread title and just had to check it out. I thought we were going to clap our hands or something.

Hello Patrick,

You>>>So my friend, HOW IYO do 1 John 5:16-17 & John 20:19-23 , relate to the passages you shared?<<<

1JN 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death,
he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death.
There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1JN 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

JN 20:20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and
his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD.
JN 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my
Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
JN 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith
unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
JN 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and
whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

I don't know.  Since you posted it you must feel it disproves something I wrote but I have no idea what.  Give me a hint anyway.

you>>>And my friend, you believe THIS on what basis?<<<

You placed numbers on three of my statements and Highlighted number 2 in red.  I guess I'll respond to number two.  In the book of Acts peter is preaching and the Holy Ghost came.

you>>> So in your opinion are the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost GOD?<<<
All I know about God is that he exists and is one.

you>>>What in your opinion is the origin of the Moral Laws?<<<
The basic one of how we treat our neighbor would come from God.

Well, I used to believe that Mark’s Gospel denied the deity of Christ, but after reading it carefully a few days ago, I no longer believe that. He heals a paralytic and forgives him of his sins. The jews grumble at this, because he is claiming to be God – and that’s how I interpret it as well. If Jesus can forgive sins, he is God.

That cannot be reconciled with my Islamic beliefs because, as I mentioned earlier, in the Qur’an, it is God alone who forgives sins. Jesus is considered a prophet in Islam, but certainly not God.

No, I’ve never heard that term before. What does it mean?

In Persona Christi, I suspect.

So my friend, as the Moral Laws come form God [your answer took me by surprise here:)], then is it not reasonable that God [in what ever manner HE chooses] has to be the source of sin forgiveness?

GBY

Patrick

THANK you and THANK GOD:thumbsup:

GBY

It is yet another profound MYSTERY [miraculous] of our Catholic Faith:

So when the Priest Institutes the Most Holy Eucharist [makes Jesus PRESENT to us] at tha very instant of that transformation, a second miracle takes place; and for an INSTANT the priest actually becomes Christ

Likewise: When the priest forgives sins; he is doing so “as Christ” Himself as well as for [on behalf of & through Christ and His RCC.]

http://www.cfpeople.org/SeminarianWritings/Sem033.html

GBY

Patrick

YEP:blush: MY opps:blush:

No problem. Where you were going with it was evident. Or possibly evident.

For an instant,the priest actually becomes the 2nd Person of the Trinity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.