Do you belive other gods exist?

The First Commandment says that we should have no other gods before/besides God.

So do we as Catholics or even if you are not Catholic do you believe that other gods exist or not?

No.

No. There is only one God.

JOHN 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Obviously no.

“Handbook of Catholic Apologetics” by Peter Kreeft has a great chapter explaining where pantheism falls short of the truth.

Nope.

Depends. I don’t believe in Thor or Zeus, etc.

But, I think money has god-like power. So does art, when it’s well-made. I couldn’t live without either one.

But they both have to come second to God my Creator, and be of service to Him. :slight_smile:

That doesn’t answer the question. God and “gods” are not the same at all.

JOHN 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Neither is this relevant to the question.

“Gods” in the polytheistic sense are simply beings more powerful and perhaps in some way more “spiritual” than humans. Christians certainly do believe, traditionally, that such beings exist–angels and demons.

That, of course, doesn’t mean that the “gods” of pagan religions necessarily correspond to actual beings. But the possibility certainly can’t be ruled out. Early Christians thought that these gods were demons. Possibly some are/were, but the moral and spiritual status of most polytheistic systems seems more complicated than that to me.

So either we have to believe that there is considerable error in how polytheists conceive of their gods (whatever might or might not be the nature of the beings, if any, who originally lay behind the myths), or we have to be open to the possibility that there are superhuman beings whose moral status is more ambiguous than that of traditional angels or traditional demons–more, in fact, like ours.

I myself see no theological reason why this couldn’t be the case. The traditional view is that when angels sinned, their superior natures caused them to sin with finality and completeness, so that they became as thoroughly evil as created beings can be and are no longer capable of moral good or of repentance.

And that may be true of angels–i.e., of beings who enjoyed the presence of God. But isn’t it conceivable that there might be beings more powerful and intelligent than us, but lacking the kind of direct knowledge of God possessed by what we call “angels”? More analogous, in fact, to us when it comes to their relationship with God and their capacity to “fall” without becoming entirely evil?

I’m not saying that such beings do exist, necessarily (though I admit to a certain fondness for the idea–the universe would be a more interesting place if they did, and I’m inclined to think that the universe is a very interesting place indeed), only that their existence would not contradict any revealed truth of which I’m aware.

Edwin

I disagree. I think people have the god-like power, but we bestow power to people with money or with political or social standing. It’s all in our heads really, us being created equal.

And sometimes they really can wreck your life if you don’t do their will. :wink:

I actually don’t think that we are all equal. We all have equal opportunity (at least in theory), but we are unequal in talent, intelligence, and work ethic, which means that some people profit more from their opportunities than others.

That is a very good question, if we look at the world today it would be easy to draw a conclusion that there must be! So many religions with so many ideas that are not the same.

As a Baha’i I can answer the question as per our scriptures and what we are told is the intent of all the scriptures of the past, that is there is Only One God.

That we appear to differ is because of our Limited understanding of the Oneness of God.

Gods Religion does not Change is is the Pure Word from the beginning that has no beginning to the end that has no end. What makes it change is the use of our Free Will in understanding the Word of God.

If we choose to look for the One God that is what we will find, if we choose to find our exclusive God, that is what we will find! :wink: :thumbsup:

I wish you well in your spiritual Journey finding the Love of God.

Regards Tony

What does pantheism have to do with it, and why is your answer “obviously no”? It doesn’t seem obvious at all to me.

Pantheism is just one possible way of explaining the relationship of “gods” to God.

In fact, pantheism, like snake handling and cannibalism, generally turns out to be “over the next hill”–whenever you analyze a supposed example, it actually isn’t strictly pantheism. At least that’s been my experience. Most Christian discussions of pantheism partake of the straw man fallacy. I have not read the Kreeft Handbook, but from what I have read of Kreeft I’m not optimistic that he avoids this common pitfall.

The standard critique of pantheism by theists is ethical. I think it carries a lot of weight, but of course the problem of evil is a huge issue for theists, so I don’t think our house is by any means free from glass.

Edwin

In one form or another I think at least. There is no other being that is deity like is GOD, but I speculate that there have been demons in disguise, such as Ba’al, Astarte, etc. Why even in the extra-canonical Ascension of Isaiah, a certain King Manasseh served Beliar (Belial; Matanbuchus).

There is no Divine Being like God, but demons saying “I’m a god,” possible.

We don’t believe there are other gods. However, I think even if we don’t go around worshipping a Golden calf like in days of old, we can still have “idols”…that money can become our “god”, in that it becomes the most important thing to us.

For some people, I’d even go so far to say that sports has become their “god”! Well, if it means their wives are now “football widows”, say for an entire season, and if the husband misses mass to go to games, say. Then, sports has become his “god”.

Musicians can be our “gods”. Like, when you had peoples putting these musicians and groups up on a pedestal…going crazy over them, more than God…then, that, to me, would apply. When someone becomes an “idol”…takes the place of the one true God, then it’s acting like a “god”.

Unfortunately, I think idolatry is alive and well, even in modern times. Here in Mexico, we have people, even at the market I go to, who have statues of death. They bow down to them. They mix this with Catholicism. So, side by side, they will sell statues of saints.

One statue, I thought was the pieta…of Mary with Christ after he was crucified. I was horrified to see it was NOT the Virgin Mary but death that had Christ in his arms! Good grief! We have statues of this popular death cult in Mexico where death is on top of the world.

Some people worship Satan. He exists but is NOT God!

So, do other gods actually exist? No. Can we sometimes act like it, though? Yes.

Other gods? No. There is only God.

This is what I believe, it’s contained in the Athanasian Creed as follows:

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith. Which Faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the Catholic Faith is this, that we worship one God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity. Neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is all One, the Glory Equal, the Majesty Co-Eternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father Uncreate, the Son Uncreate, and the Holy Ghost Uncreate. The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible. The Father Eternal, the Son Eternal, and the Holy Ghost Eternal and yet they are not Three Eternals but One Eternal. As also there are not Three Uncreated, nor Three Incomprehensibles, but One Uncreated, and One Uncomprehensible. So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.

So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not Three Gods, but One God. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not Three Lords but One Lord. For, like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every Person by Himself to be God and Lord, so are we forbidden by the Catholic Religion to say, there be Three Gods or Three Lords. The Father is made of none, neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created, but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father, and of the Son neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is afore or after Other, None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal. So that in all things, as is aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, is to be worshipped. He therefore that will be saved, must thus think of the Trinity.

Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting Salvation, that he also believe rightly the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess, that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man.

God, of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and Man, of the substance of His mother, born into the world. Perfect God and Perfect Man, of a reasonable Soul and human Flesh subsisting. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His Manhood. Who, although He be God and Man, yet He is not two, but One Christ. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into Flesh, but by taking of the Manhood into God. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by Unity of Person. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one Man, so God and Man is one Christ. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into Hell, rose again the third day from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, He sitteth on the right hand of the Father, God Almighty, from whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies, and shall give account for their own works. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting, and they that have done evil into everlasting fire. This is the Catholic Faith, which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved.

Amen

I also believe the Nicene and Apostle’s Creeds.

So, One God, Almighty, Everlasting, Eternal.

Amen

Isaiah 45:5-6: "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other."

Just because someone decided to make someone or something a “god” in their eyes does not mean that they are a god. Whether it be something from their imagination, just a regular person, or indeed some kind of supernatural being who has appeared to them (I don’t know of any supernatural beings other than angels and demons) . So no, I don’t believe that other “gods” exist.

The purport of the First Commandment is more expansive than the interpretation given here. jmcrae has scratched the surface, though: money can be worshipped as a god. Political power, computers and the Internet, sex, and many other things can be idolized and promoted to a point where they matter more to us than the One True God. God is clear in His divine revelation that He is sovereign and the absolute power in the world. All praise and worship is due to Him alone; He has given us everything good as a gift and they are to be used only in His service. We are to be stewards of Earthly goods, not slaves to them. We must use our bodies and our intellects to seek Him alone, not to satisfy our base desires and our disordered wants.

This is what so many people misunderstand about religion in general and Christianity in particular. If they are not offering sacrifice to Baal they think they are OK. But there are many ways to anger God by slight and omission. We must always be wary of letting our material desires get in the way of personal holiness, sanctification, and giving all glory to God in Heaven.

Interesting.

But the commandment does not say that there ARE no other gods

God is the one true God. But even the Bible acknowledges other gods, some by name.

So then who are Ra Baal,
Shiva, Vishnu, Kali, Gaia etc.

Are they all representations of the one True God or are they demons.
Or are they non existent?

tried to type this once already but had a power outage…interesting…

I believe their could be evil entities out there that will pose as gods in order to achieve their evil intentions, whatever those might be. Just look at Wicca. There are plenty of Wiccans out there that see actual entities, whether they see and experience their god, goddess, some elemental entity, other spirits, nature spirits, or whatever. These experiences are very real, and shouldn’t they be? The devil has to keep people in his trap and he won’t be lazy about it. So yes, in this sense there are other gods and goddesses, but not in the real sense of god. There is only ONE TRUE God, and that is Our Father, Son and Holy Spirit, God in three persons. Also, I believe the old testament makes reference to worship of other gods. The concept of them is no doubt real, and they may actually exist, but only because they call themselves god and are actually demonic entities.

On My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead ALL souls into heaven , especially those in most need of thy mercy, like those who are fooled and trapped in the this false religion, Wicca, and others like it. May these people come to their senses. May the world be pulled out from under their feet, if need be. Whatever you will Lord, I just pray they see the light, Your light, your holy light, Jesus. Save souls, Jesus and Mary,. Amen

I interpret “there are no other Gods before me” to mean, there might BE other “gods” but there are none before God. God is the best, the only, and anything else calling itself “god” might be a god if others see it as one and worship it, sadly, but that would be the only reason it is “god.” And I believe it is demonic for sure

Other than Eric Clapton, no. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.