Do you bow your head at the part in the Nicene Creed?

Here’s the poll. I meant to put it with the last post :o

O YES, I do

O NO, never

O Sometimes,if I see someone else, or remember

[quote=Super Mom]Here’s the poll. I meant to put it with the last post :o

O YES, I do

O NO, never

O Sometimes,if I see someone else, or remember
[/quote]

ooops, disreguard this and vote above :o

… the part in the Nicene Creed …

What part in the the Nicene Creed? :confused: I bow my head when I kneel down on knee prior to entering the pew. I bow my head whenever I recite the name “Jesus” – that happens not only in the Nicene Creed but in a couple of other places as well. I also bow my head as I approach to receive communion and upon leaving the church.

[quote=Sir Knight]… the part in the Nicene Creed …

What part in the the Nicene Creed? :confused: I bow my head when I kneel down on knee prior to entering the pew. I bow my head whenever I recite the name “Jesus” – that happens not only in the Nicene Creed but in a couple of other places as well. I also bow my head as I approach to receive communion and upon leaving the church.
[/quote]

We are suppossed to bow at …
***by the power of the Holy Spirit
He became man and was born of the Virgin Mary

***…that’s the bow the poll refers to.

and was made man.

Oh. Sorry. It was unclear from the opening post. To answer the question, I do not. Are we suppose to?

I always bow at that point in the Creed; however very few in my parish do. I remember the days when we genuflected…
I know it is always done @ Christmas…that’s the only time our pastor does it.:slight_smile:

Yes…and strike my breast during the Confiteor as well. It is good to do these things, if only because the gestures themselves will focus the mind on what we are saying, hopefully preventing it from becoming so much rotework for many people!

Pax,
Fred

Yes, I and my family bow during the creed. I don’t know how the rest of the congregation does because I’m bowed and can’t see them.

Also, if I’m paying attention, I bow my head at the names of Jesus, Mary, the patron of the church or of the day; at invocations of the Trinity; as a sign of reverence before receiving the Eucharist; and if directed to do so at the final blessing (“Bow your heads and pray for God’s blessing…”)*

(* I do not bow at these times if I’m already kneeling)

And we kneel or Genuflect at that same part of the Creed on what two days?

[quote=Annunciata]I always bow at that point in the Creed; however very few in my parish do. I remember the days when we genuflected…
I know it is always done @ Christmas…that’s the only time our pastor does it.:slight_smile:
[/quote]

It ought also be done on the feast of the Annunciation.

[quote=tee_eff_em]It ought also be done on the feast of the Annunciation.
[/quote]

I’m for that…if you think about it, that is really the Incarnation… I heard one of the pro-life priests say that in a homily once. :slight_smile:

Catholic trivia: In Canada, the Nicene Creed is rarely used … we generally recite the Apostle’s Creed.

[quote=squirt]Catholic trivia: In Canada, the Nicene Creed is rarely used … we generally recite the Apostle’s Creed.
[/quote]

Yup, I don’t remember when I last heard the Nicene Creed recited… the reason I said that I didn’t know that I was supposed to bow. Another reason I didn’t know I was supposed to bow my head is that I’m just coming back into my faith and have been learning online what it’s all about.

Yes, we bow. :yup: Two missalettes I have seen specifically include the instruction to bow at this point, and to genuflect at Christmas and the feast of the Annunciation.

Thanks for asking.

Interestingly, no missalette carries instructions about holding hands or raising them in orans position during Our Father :nope:

And interestingly, none carry instructions to keep your hands to yourself during the Our Father :wink:

javelin

P.S. I only began bowing during the creed recently, when I actually saw it in the missal and saw the priest doing it. Before then, I don’t ever remember seeing it in the missal, or anyone in any congregation I’ve been in doing it. I went to Catholic school, too, and was never taught to bow at any point in the Mass.

Technically, it should be a profound bow (GIRM 137). It represents God lowering himself to become human.

The custom of kneeling at the “et incarnatus est” of the Nicene Creed was started by King St. Louis IX.

I bow at that point, but not the head, rather at the waist, a profound bow.

[quote=Katholish]The custom of kneeling at the “et incarnatus est” of the Nicene Creed was started by King St. Louis IX.

I bow at that point, but not the head, rather at the waist, a profound bow.
[/quote]

I actually bow from the waist and at Communion, I bow my head.:slight_smile:

[quote=javelin]And interestingly, none carry instructions to keep your hands to yourself during the Our Father :wink:

[/quote]

And as Karl Keating has explained it, the absence of a prohibition is not the allowance of a behavior. It also neglects to say we should not be playing with a yo-yo during the Our Father. Does that mean it’s OK to do so?

I always bow at that time. When the new directives were announced recently (including this one, though it isn’t really new), many people at my parish did it for a short while, but most have stopped since it hasn’t been verbally reinforced from the pulpit (the priests and deacons always do it, but, for some reason, refrain from reminding the congregation).

I, and a few others, always make sure we are very explicit about this, not to be outwardly over-pious, but as an example and encouragement to others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.