Do you cry receiving the Holy Eucharist?

[size=3]JMJ

I’m moved by a lot of things, a beautiful song, a touching story, and at certain moments during Mass. “Chick flix’s” don’t usually get to me, but acts of kindness and virtue do.

I discovered a while back, that I respect and admire people based on their sweetness, humility and virtue and not by their wealth, education, good looks or position in life. Don’t get me wrong, I like things, like movies and football, but I’ve learned that there is something to be said about “inner beauty”.

This gets to my question “Do you cry when receiving the Holy Eucharist? My mother tells me, that after all these years, she still cry’s when she receives the Body of Christ.

I believe God’s love is more moving than anything else. I think that most of the time, when people are “moved” by a movie or a song, that they are really being moved by an example of God’s love and they don’t realize it.

Everything is by God’s will!

Yours in Christ

[/size]

At World Youth Day in Toronto in the presense of Pope John Paul II. I was driven to my knees while receiving communion. I could not stop crying. For the first time (and not the last) I felt the real presense of Jesus in the Eucharist. The passion was so intense.

Yes, there are moments when I weep at rec. Him.

Yes I have on more than one occasion felt tears streaming down my face whilst I was walking up to recieve Him.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious

Yes, it has happened to me too.:slight_smile: :blessyou:

I usually weep deeply immediately *after *receiving Him. This happens often to me, and one of my priests mentioned that he thinks I have the gift of tears. Thank you, Lord!

I wish i had tears of Joy and of compassion during and after communion, i constantly find myself saying “Lord i believe, help my unbelief!!” i believe what takes place at that moment is that, my soul recognizes Jesus and believes in him, but my physical faculties betray me, such as my senses, so in that way i do not give my full, or what should be my full adoration. I also believe that, maybe when i recieve, the reason why i am not drawn to tears is because, it is a gift beyond that which tears can merit, beyond what my physical body can even handle…I admire so much that you all can be moved in that way, you should rejoice, because that is an awesome grace wich has been granted to you. May God Bless you all for that!!!:crying::smiley: <tears of joy!!, Please, I for your prayer, that i may also recognize and recieve that same grace which has been so generously given to you all

Yes I very frequently weep after receiving…
I feel my “smallness” at this time and can’t fathom in my wildest dreams how I, a sinner, can have my Lord and my God really and substantially present so close to my poor heart…

Strange, I always cry about a lot of things. I always cry during movies and stuff, and I cry when I see people cry but I’ve never cried while recieving the Eucharist…I almost feel bad for not crying! ha
Maybe I just haven’t been put into the right situation yet, although I did almost start crying when the priest during my school retreat carried the Monstrance around the room and blessing people. He said to just imagine Jesus walking aorund the room, and I did, and I was like, wow.

But yeah, I haven’t cried yet, maybe it’s my next step.

OK, I’ll weigh in. I frequently cry after receiving the Eucharist when I return to my pew. I’m not entirely comfortable over-analyzing why this happens, but I know that it is both tears of joy and sorrow. The joy comes from a more intimate, overwhelming realization (somehow different than mere intellectual knowlege) of how incredibly awesome the gift of salvation is and how faithfully, gently and persistently He calls me to himself. The sorrowful counterpoint is the realization of how inadequate I am as a child of God and how unworthy I am of this great honor. The more I appreciate these two realities simultaneously the more intense the tears. I used to try and hide it because it was, well, kindof embarrassing. But I don’t experience any purer joy than when this happens, so I no longer try to avoid it - just the opposite: I relish those moments and linger with them after Mass is over. It rejuvenates my soul…

Crybaby Phil

[quote=Annunciata]Yes I very frequently weep after receiving…
I feel my “smallness” at this time and can’t fathom in my wildest dreams how I, a sinner, can have my Lord and my God really and substantially present so close to my poor heart…
[/quote]

No I do not weep. But I feel incredibly heavy and often cannot stand up again for some time after returning to my pew and kneeling. I feel quiet and do not feel the need to have thoughts or to speak or even to sing or to articulate the prayers out loud. I feel at peace and taken care of. I feel safe.

I have met people who have the gift of tears and people who have the gift of laughter. Amazing the many ways in which God chooses to bring us closer to him.

JMJ

Qoute by - Ani lbi

"I have met people who have the gift of tears and people who have the gift of laughter. Amazing the many ways in which God chooses to bring us closer to him."

I love this qoute “gift of tears” does anyone know where this term started?

Yours in Christ,

[quote=Jimmy B]JMJ

Qoute by - Ani lbi

"I have met people who have the gift of tears and people who have the gift of laughter. Amazing the many ways in which God chooses to bring us closer to him."

Yours in Christ,
[/quote]

I believe it originated with the Desert Fathers.

Yes, many times I am overwhelmed at Mass. The realization of what takes place, the Presence of Our Lord in The Eucharist has brought me to tears of joy and saddness of his suffering for all mankind. I don’t have tears at every Mass, but I am always moved by the Sacrifice of Our Dear Lord.

[quote=Lucania]Yes, many times I am overwhelmed at Mass. The realization of what takes place, the Presence of Our Lord in The Eucharist has brought me to tears of joy and saddness of his suffering for all mankind. I don’t have tears at every Mass, but I am always moved by the Sacrifice of Our Dear Lord.
[/quote]

My experience as well…and I couldn’t’ve said it better. Mine is most every time though.

[quote=Jimmy B]JMJ

Qoute by - Ani lbi

Yours in Christ,
[/quote]

Actually, now that I think of it, I do cry when I relate certain (not all) encounters which I have had with God. I just can’t hold the tears back. They come naturally in the middle of what I am saying.

As for the origin of the term ‘gift of tears’: it doesn’t come to me right now. However why not Google the history of the charismatic, evangelical, and revivalist movements? There is a wealth of very interesting information in there about various gifts.

yes, i usually do cry at communion, always at confession. When I feel Him close to me, I cry. It was very embarassing at first, until I read a story about Padre Pio telling a tearful penitent that the angels saved her tears and presented them as treasures before the throne of God. So I let them fall, and hope they are treasures to Him. I have read of the ‘gift of tears’ being possessed by some but have no idea what it is.

I did once, at a Youth 2000 event a couple of years ago, I waited in line for a long time for confession, in the meantime the Eucharistic procession began, where the monstrance is carried around a path with the participant kneeling on each side, stops at each person for a moment. It is incredibly moving, miraculous and astounding the graces evident, and it is awesome to see the effect on the youth, some of whom have never experienced a Holy Hour or adoration, and have only meager understanding of the Eucharist. I was the last one to confess to an older friar who looked (and talked) exactly like Fr Groeschell, and since the procession was nearly over was afraid I had missed it, but confession was extremely important to me that day. After he had absolved me the priest touched my hand and said, “Look who has come to you, my dear, look up.” Jesus was right there, the procession had moved all across the gym to my little corner. I was so moved, I called out loudly “My Lord and My God, I love You.” and cried with the free-est most cleansing tears I have ever shed.

If you knew me as my teens and catechists to, somebody rather dry, unemotional, detached, this response would have seemed very shocking and unlike me, but they did not tease me, they showed such respect for me. I was so touched, I cannot express it, but suffice to say a conversion experience for me in many ways.

yes, but I never thought of it as a gift… My tears are not just a small drops but they run onto my shirt and my nose runs. Once I start, it is difficult to stop. I cry hard at other times too.

For the past few years I have had a fairly regular and disciplined prayer life (Rosary most days) and Mass (most days), together with lots of reading about our church–theology, philosophy, history, spiritual reading,…what I’d call well-rounded. Anyway, since these concerted efforts and concerted effort to commune with God (actually it is the negative of ‘concerted’ since one simply must learn to ‘be’ in His presence), I have had it impressed upon me how unworthy I am. Here is the paradox. When I was a great/er sinner, I did not even realize how great a sinner I was nor how deeply my since might offend God and His creatures. Now that I try to live a better life and try to drink to the dregs the depth of his sanctifying grace, it is truly heart-rending how unworthy I sometimes note that I am. And how wonderful He is in still loving me so greatly in spite of my worthlessness. And how he lifts me up out of it and into his awe. So yes, sometimes I cry.

[quote=Jimmy B][size=3]JMJ[/size]

I’m moved by a lot of things, a beautiful song, a touching story, and at certain moments during Mass. “Chick flix’s” don’t usually get to me, but acts of kindness and virtue do.

I discovered a while back, that I respect and admire people based on their sweetness, humility and virtue and not by their wealth, education, good looks or position in life. Don’t get me wrong, I like things, like movies and football, but I’ve learned that there is something to be said about “inner beauty”.

This gets to my question “Do you cry when receiving the Holy Eucharist? My mother tells me, that after all these years, she still cry’s when she receives the Body of Christ.

I believe God’s love is more moving than anything else. I think that most of the time, when people are “moved” by a movie or a song, that they are really being moved by an example of God’s love and they don’t realize it.

Everything is by God’s will!

Yours in Christ

[/quote]

I don’t cry, but I feel(every weekend) that it is a Great honor every weekend to recieve His body and blood.
God Bless
Podo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.