Do you doubt the NDE of people who have died and went to heaven?

Do you doubt the NDE of people who have died and went to heaven?

Like the book 7 answers from heaven.
The author writes about her heavenly experience.
Can a author who have died and went to heaven influence you?

If I told you I’ve heard the fluttering wings of angels, and something like chants echoing in the air, would I influence you?

No, right? And I’m OK with that. I’m not even sure why I experienced this… or if I’m crazy. It’s hard to even talk about it. And I certainly don’t have any knowledge that isn’t already in the world now. I would just say to obey Christ. And I hope anyone else with these experiences would say the same (and in that, I would listen to them).

1 Like

Why would you doubt what they say ?

We as Catholics believe if life after death.

Just because they weren’t sent directly to hell as some Catholics desire for them, doesn’t mean their experience was not real. All the NDE’s I’ve heard, come back with a mission given to them by God, which they share.

Jim

4 Likes

Those “Near Death” do not go to heaven. They have dreams, hallucinations, or something in between.

2 Likes

My experience above wasn’t death. It was wide awake, at separate times, in the peace of my house. Granted, they could be hallucinations. Too bad that’s the only answer the world has these days. When I started telling people about them, my family put me in a hospital. :\

I’ve taken a liking to St. Joan above most saints. Because I think the same would happen to her, in this day and age.

And if I didn’t have these experiences, I wouldn’t know Christ the way I do now. So it’s hard to see them negatively.

3 Likes

Have you talked to your priest or spiritual director about them? Some of us do have private revelations, meant to comfort or strengthen us!

1 Like

This was years ago when it first happened. So no. I’m not sure what got me to mention it here. Maybe I should.

One thing that is fascinating is children who have NDEs. They report being in a wonderful place, AND wanting to stay there. Of course there is no doubt there is a heaven.

1 Like

I personally am skeptical of NDEs. I think it’s possible that they can be real, but there are too many factors to know for sure. It could simply be a lack of oxygen to the brain causing vivid hallucinations right before passing out of consciousness, or something like that. Plus, it doesn’t much help the case that different people will see different versions of the afterlife, and some see nothing at all.

2 Likes

I used to think that way until my own mother had a NDE. She saw the ‘angel’. More importantly, her personality changed to this serenity and peace that having known my mother my whole life it was like talking to a different person. Of course everyone has to rely on what they experience in their lives.

3 Likes

There have been NDEs of people who found themselves in awful uncomfortable places or who reported having seen Purgatory or Hell, as well as the “nice” NDEs of people who saw deceased relatives presumably in Heaven but were sent back themselves before they could join them.

God chooses what he wants someone to see in a near-death situation. Which might also be seeing nothing, or perhaps seeing something but then remembering nothing upon waking. There is nothing to “influence” as we already believe in life after death.

2 Likes

My father had one as well. He said he spoke to Jesus, and his face was wrapped in cloth. Jesus said to him something along the lines of, “if you see my face, you can’t go back.” Then the next Sunday when my dad was in church, he heard the verse Exodus 33:20 for the first time. Truly an inspiring story, and if it was a real encounter with Christ, how amazing! I’m just not totally sure myself.

3 Likes

And you’re certain of this how ?

Jim

Near death is not clinical death. It is a fairly modern term made up for people to explain the images and feelings (dreams or hallucinations or effects of medicine/anesthesia)

Spiritually, we have the account of the rich man and Lazarus where Christ warned that even if someone came back from the dead people would not believe.

Christ also said that eye has not seen nor has ear heard what awaits for the Christian in heaven.

1 Like

I would personally leave this up to the people who have these experiences, to discern for themselves. No one really knows, unless this happens to them.

In my own opinion, I don’t think that anyone else can really make this kind of a judgment, unless this kind of an experience has happened to them personally. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

NDE testimonies are useless because they didn’t stay dead.
Maybe the light and tunnel happens to everybody on their way out.
But what happens when you’re dead-dead?
We believe in the judgement, Heaven/Purgatory and Hell, but we don’t know the details of how this will look or sound or feel (to our way of thinking).

So no, it neither proves nor disproves my faith

1 Like

Jesus Christ came back from the dead. His testimony is sufficient for me.

5 Likes

Maybe useless to you? I find them fascinating and it strengthens my belief in an afterlife.

2 Likes

Just because there are scientific ways to explain why they occur doesn’t mean they aren’t a taste of the afterlife. If I knocked my head hard enough and I saw Jesus and He told me to repent I’d believe it was Him even if there are scientific reasons why I may have seen Him.

2 Likes

Because I read a lot of them over the years (Starting with the book “Life After Life”–a golden oldie in the world of NDE reporting). And I’ve read plenty that seriously contradict the words of Jesus, just kind of a nicey-nice version of the afterlife where there is no right or wrong, just be friendly and it doesn’t matter the choices you make.

But again, they didn’t stay dead, so we really can’t take their words as a credible source of information for what will actually happen to us there…

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.