Do you ever pray to or talk to the Holy Spirit

*Was not quit sure were to put this thread,because it applies to most Christian Churches, not just Catholic. I want to make it clear this discussion is not about Charismatic Renewal,so please stay on topic. I'm sure I upset some people because the Holy Spirit is a big part of my life. The Catholic Faith teaches on the Trinity, three,but one God,Father(Creator),Son(Jesus Christ) and God's Spirit(the Holy Spirit).the Catholic Faith also teaches on the Seven Sacraments, which are Sanctifying Graces through the Holy Spirit.Seven is a symbol of the completion of God's work. Proverbs 9:1 states Wisdom(God's Wisdom) is built on Seven pillars( seven truths). The reason why I bring this up is the Teachings in the Catholic Faith is through these Sacraments, the gifts of the Holy Spirit are released, which is called Sanctifying Grace, to help us through life journey, but it does not stop, after receiving these Sacraments.The fruit of the Grace, that the Holy Spirit gives, Charity(Perfect love), joy, peace,endurance,ect... Love(Charity) is the greatest gift of all. We all strive on earth, towards this Perfect Love, Perfect acts of Charity. Very few have ever achieved, this first fruit of the Holy Spirit.When we pray for something do we pray, that it is in the perfect Love of God, that it further, his love of the Kingdom of God? This is why I believe prayer to the Holy Spirit, is so important ,and is such a big part of the Catholic Faith. The Holy Spirit is the one who takes our prayers and petitions to God in the name of Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is praying for us, grown on our behalf. I personally pray to the Holy Spirit through the name of Jesus for God's Wisdom and understanding that I can draw closer to God's perfect Love in Jesus Christ and the Cross. That intimacy with Jesus that only can come through the Holy Spirit. I do know some churches focus on the Holy Spirit, but don't fully understand the Graces he gives through Sacraments. The Church, not just our bodies is where the Holy Spirit dwells, so why not pray to him, for these gift of graces, I have mentioned? *:shrug:

In the Orthodox Church, every service begins with a prayer to the Holy Spirit:

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth; everywhere present and filling all things. Treasury of blessings and Giver of Life. Come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Within private prayers there are also ones uniquely to the Holy Spirit, and I've also heard that Psalm 50 can be used as a prayer to the Holy Spirit.

I sometimes think about how easy it can be for some of us as Christians (myself included!) to forget the Holy Spirit, who somehow seems to fall into the background (although He surely wasn't forgotten by the Apostles who were illuminated at Pentecost, and shouldn't be forgotten by us who were illuminated in Holy Baptism) :) For this reason I've always imagined the Holy Spirit as extremely humble, because He does so much kindness and good, but doesn't seem to attract any attention!!

Yes, quite frequently.

Most Catholics and non-Catholic christians I know do pray to the Holy Spirit. My personal favourite is the one that Pope JPII favoured.

*Veni Creator
Come, O Creator Spirit blest! And in our souls take up Thy rest; Come with Thy grace and heavenly aid, To fill the hearts which Thou hast made. Great Paraclete! To Thee we cry, O highest gift of God most high! O font of life! O fire of love! And sweet anointing from above.

Thou in Thy sevenfold gifts art known, The finger of God's hand we own; The promise of the Father, Thou! Who dost the tongue with power endow.

Kindle our senses from above, And make our hearts overflow with love; With patience firm and virtue high The weakness of our flesh supply.

Far from us drive the foe we dread, And grant us Thy true peace instead; So shall we not, with Thee for guide, Turn from the path of life aside.

Oh, may Thy grace on us bestow The Father and the Son to know, And Thee, through endless times confessed, Of both, the eternal Spirit blest.

All glory while the ages run Be to the Father and the Son Who rose from death; the same to Thee, O Holy Ghost, eternally. Amen.*

[quote="PeaceSerenity, post:2, topic:306332"]

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth; everywhere present and filling all things. Treasury of blessings and Giver of Life. Come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Within private prayers there are also ones uniquely to the Holy Spirit, and I've also heard that Psalm 50 can be used as a prayer to the Holy Spirit.

I sometimes think about how easy it can be for some of us as Christians (myself included!) to forget the Holy Spirit, who somehow seems to fall into the background (although He surely wasn't forgotten by the Apostles who were illuminated at Pentecost, and shouldn't be forgotten by us who were illuminated in Holy Baptism) :) For this reason I've always imagined the Holy Spirit as extremely humble, because He does so much kindness and good, but doesn't seem to attract any attention!!

[/quote]

I like this. :thumbsup:

Jon

[quote="Patrick1540, post:1, topic:306332"]
*Was not quit sure were to put this thread,because it applies to most Christian Churches, not just Catholic. I want to make it clear this discussion is not about Charismatic Renewal,so please stay on topic. I'm sure I upset some people because the Holy Spirit is a big part of my life. The Catholic Faith teaches on the Trinity, three,but one God,Father(Creator),Son(Jesus Christ) and God's Spirit(the Holy Spirit).the Catholic Faith also teaches on the Seven Sacraments, which are Sanctifying Graces through the Holy Spirit.Seven is a symbol of the completion of God's work. Proverbs 9:1 states Wisdom(God's Wisdom) is built on Seven pillars( seven truths). The reason why I bring this up is the Teachings in the Catholic Faith is through these Sacraments, the gifts of the Holy Spirit are released, which is called Sanctifying Grace, to help us through life journey, but it does not stop, after receiving these Sacraments.The fruit of the Grace, that the Holy Spirit gives, Charity(Perfect love), joy, peace,endurance,ect... Love(Charity) is the greatest gift of all. We all strive on earth, towards this Perfect Love, Perfect acts of Charity. Very few have ever achieved, this first fruit of the Holy Spirit.When we pray for something do we pray, that it is in the perfect Love of God, that it further, his love of the Kingdom of God? This is why I believe prayer to the Holy Spirit, is so important ,and is such a big part of the Catholic Faith. The Holy Spirit is the one who takes our prayers and petitions to God in the name of Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is praying for us, grown on our behalf. I personally pray to the Holy Spirit through the name of Jesus for God's Wisdom and understanding that I can draw closer to God's perfect Love in Jesus Christ and the Cross. That intimacy with Jesus that only can come through the Holy Spirit. I do know some churches focus on the Holy Spirit, but don't fully understand the Graces he gives through Sacraments. The Church, not just our bodies is where the Holy Spirit dwells, so why not pray to him, for these gift of graces, I have mentioned? *:shrug:

[/quote]

You are, of course, correct.

The typical Lutheran prayer begins with "Our Heaenly Father", but it seems to me that when we start prayer or worship by invoking the Trinity, we are also praying to the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Your thoughts?

Jon

[quote="PeaceSerenity, post:2, topic:306332"]

[/quote]

That is so awesome! I didn't not realize psalm 50 could be used as a prayer to the Holy Spirit, I'm going to check that out,thank you!:)
God Bless and Peace of the Holy Spirit be with you!

[quote="JonNC, post:6, topic:306332"]
You are, of course, correct.

The typical Lutheran prayer begins with "Our Heaenly Father", but it seems to me that when we start prayer or worship by invoking the Trinity, we are also praying to the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Your thoughts?

Jon

[/quote]

Hi Jon, I just have found, many people put the Holy Spirit, on the back self, or when you talk about the Holy Spirit, people get freaked out. It is so sad to me, God's Spirit,which Jesus sent us, so we would never be alone, or orphaned, get shuffled in the back, of many peoples prayer life. I just curious to see how many people bring them into their prayer life.

[quote="Patrick1540, post:8, topic:306332"]
Hi Jon, I just have found, many people put the Holy Spirit, on the back self, or when you talk about the Holy Spirit, people get freaked out. It is so sad to me, God's Spirit,which Jesus sent us, so we would never be alone, or orphaned, get shuffled in the back, of many peoples prayer life. I just curious to see how many people bring them into their prayer life.

[/quote]

I do agree, Patrick. My signature is the third verse from Luther's hymn, Lord Keep Us Steadfast in Your Word. It seems a wonderful prayer to the Holy Spirit. I've had it on there since Pentecost (probably time to change it as the Church year ends).

Jon

[quote="Patrick1540, post:1, topic:306332"]

[/quote]

I begin my daily prayer with the Prayer to the Holy Spirit.I also ,invoke the help of the Holy Spirit in matters if guidance for myself and my loved ones,when making life decisions.;)

Yes.

This is a learning period for me which is something that is difficult to explain.

Blessings,
granny

The human person is worthy of profound respect from the moment of conception.

Yes, I do! One of my morning prayers is, "Come, Creator Spirit" and I like this Chaplet of the Holy Spirit as well.

rosaryandchaplets.com/chaplets/holy_spirit_prayer.html

And if you haven't read it, I recommend the classic work on the Holy Spirit, "The Sanctifier" by Archbishop Luis M. Martinez.

[quote="Phaedra777, post:12, topic:306332"]
Yes, I do! One of my morning prayers is, "Come, Creator Spirit" and I like this Chaplet of the Holy Spirit as well.

rosaryandchaplets.com/chaplets/holy_spirit_prayer.html

And if you haven't read it, I recommend the classic work on the Holy Spirit, "The Sanctifier" by Archbishop Luis M. Martinez.

[/quote]

Hi Phaedra, this website you posted is awesome. I just went there and read it. Thank you so much for this Chaplet of the Holy Spirit.You made my day and I again feel so blessed.:)
God Bless you and Peace of the Holy Spirit be with you.

Yes.

Anna

Well, I feel bad. I’ve never thought to pray to the Holy Spirit. I’ve prayed to both the Father and the Son.

Yes, I pray to the Holy Spirit a lot. It breaks down into two parts - prayers of thankfulness to the Holy Spirit because He, and Mary are what brought me to my conversion from a non-practicing Jew.

And I pray to the Holy Spirit often for the right words to speak to others to best reflect His desires. Say someone says, "oh you Catholics are so full of it, there's no such thing as God." Then I ask the Holy Spirit what to say because He is so much better at that, and I'm bound to screw it up on my own.

Jesus promised us He wouldn't leave us alone but that the Holy Spirit would be with us to guide us. I stink with maps, and I'm not good about reading operating manuals, so I tend to lean on the Holy Spirit pretty heavily.

Yes.

As a group we also have the devotion to the Holy Spirit which we open to the public. It is a time of worship, proclaiming of the word and ministry to those who are in need of prayers.

Before I knew the Holy Spirit, he did not figure much in my prayers. It was mainly to Jesus, God the Father and Mary. But the Holy Spirit is the power and the anointing behind our spiritual life and our strength.

Yes, talk all the time. Best gift ever, the assurance of knowing what's important to God whatever the world says.

If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. - John 14:15-17

Yes I do, constantly.

Jesus g

Yes. I start all my private prayers with the prayer "Come Holy Spirit" And then do an Act of Contrition, before doing the particular intended prayers. Sometimes I do more prayers to the Holy Spirit like the one written by Saint Augustine (I do not have it in English to post for you..). I find that it makes praying easier when we are united with the Spirit of Jesus Christ, the same Holy Spirit who filled the Virgin Mary. I try to remember that He is the Spirit of the Father, the Father who loves us so much. The same Spirit who was in Jesus Christ. He prays in me when I do not know how. I also sing to the Holy Spirit frequently, which is much more like praying too. I sometimes let the songs sing on the background when working. Helps me be awake in fire for God, yes it does. Thanks for asking, it reminds me to sing a praise song to God the Holy Spirit right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.