Do you ever wear blue jeans to Sunday Mass?

I have noticed on many threads that this particular item of clothing worn at Mass is often used as the standard of dress that is frowned upon. So, I thought I would start a poll to find out how prevalent it is here. I wonder, also, if different areas of the country have different standards, and also what’s happening outside of the U.S.

Are blue jeans inherently wrong to wear to church? What is so wrong about clothing made from blue denim material, if anything?

I personally don’t wear blue jeans at all, since I don’t wear blue clothes as a personal color preferance. I saw a Lector wear them recently at a Sat vigil Mass at a neighboring church. He looked like a country farmer guy in his early 70’s and his jeans looked like they were falling off due to his body type, so I thought it looked a little too sloppy for a lector.

[quote=spiritblows]I have noticed on many threads that this particular item of clothing worn at Mass is often used as the standard of dress that is frowned upon. So, I thought I would start a poll to find out how prevalent it is here. I wonder, also, if different areas of the country have different standards, and also what’s happening outside of the U.S.

Are blue jeans inherently wrong to wear to church? What is so wrong about clothing made from blue denim material, if anything?
[/quote]

While blue jeans are considered very casual and probably not ideal for going to church in, I have no big problem with it, as long as they are in good repair. I have worn them on occasion.

What’s more important is that you are actually there in church. Whether you are wearing jeans or not, frankly, is “small potatoes”, and not worth worrying about. I doubt this is a big issue with God.

Here in “Casual Colorado”, we see it all too often.
Sure, it’s better than “sweats”, but i’d like to see people show a little (more) respect for themselves and for others - not to mention for the Lord… :frowning:

I am usually just getting off of work about 15 minutes before Mass starts, no time to change. So instead of missing church, I wear my work “uniform”.

Yes, my entire family wears blue jeans to mass. I would not allow my children to wear cloths that are inappropriate to church. But I see nothing wrong with blue jeans, as long as they are not ripped and torn like the fashion of today.

Only if I am helping the janitors.

I am a person that has taken a personal vow of simplicity. I only own 1 maybe two pair of dress pants. All the other pants I have are blue jeans (3) and a pair of black jeans. I buy my clothing at thrift stores and use the money I save as a way of buying rosaries to give out or for missions. I know God understands my mission and my wearing of used clothing to Mass (daily).

[quote=bauerice]I am a person that has taken a personal vow of simplicity. I only own 1 maybe two pair of dress pants. All the other pants I have are blue jeans (3) and a pair of black jeans. I buy my clothing at thrift stores and use the money I save as a way of buying rosaries to give out or for missions. I know God understands my mission and my wearing of used clothing to Mass (daily).
[/quote]

You can’t go wrong with that reasoning. :thumbsup:

I often wear jeans , but if singing( I guess lectoring as well, though I haven’t done that yet), I do not wear jeans. If I’m in the pews its fine, but i probably wouldn’t on the alter. Although during pregnancy, I wear what fits, and somedays that is a pair of jeans!

Jeans are casual, every day clothes for me. I believe that Sunday Mass is special and an appropriate time to dress up. I wouldn’t wear jeans to a wedding, funeral or business function and so I don’t wear them to Mass either. I tend to be more lax about daily Mass because the ocassions I make it to daily Mass are generally squeezed in between other committments, and there is not time to change. However, on Sunday, there is no reason why my family cannot dress up for God. Jeans in and of themselves do not bother me. My DH only ocassionally attends Mass with us, and he wears jeans because jeans are the best clothes he owns. What bothers me is that people will wear their best clothes for secular ocassions but can’t be bothered to change for Mass.

it has been years, back into the last millenium since I was able to buy real jeans that fit, so the answer is no (elastic waist doesn’t count). I don’t wear pants to Mass anyhow.

The last time I remember wearing jeans was when we were camping. I actually thought about packing my Sunday clothes but I was afraid they would get ruined with all of the dirt around from a week of camping and then I wouldn’t have them to wear on a regular basis. Hopefully God will take in consideration the horrible hardship and suffering of going camping. :thumbsup:

I can imagine that in the Northeastern US or in certain regions where people might tend to be more formal that jeans might be considered “too informal” for church. I however, would find it torturous to live in a culture where so much attention is paid to such unimportant things.

I don’t wear jeans under normal circumstances, and I dang sure don’t wear them to Mass. My normal choice is khakis, but I dress up a bit for church (not as far as suit and tie, tho).

DaveBj

[quote=spiritblows]I have noticed on many threads that this particular item of clothing worn at Mass is often used as the standard of dress that is frowned upon. So, I thought I would start a poll to find out how prevalent it is here. I wonder, also, if different areas of the country have different standards, and also what’s happening outside of the U.S.

[/quote]

You bring up an interesting point. We all (as in all Catholics, not anyone particular :slight_smile: ) need to be sure to take a step back and not be judgemental on people who one feels may not be dressed appropriately. Perhaps one is homeless and has come to Mass - Family camping - Coming directly from work - just heard horrible news and came to pray, etc. My point being that we do not know others circumstances of life. If one sees someone dressed inappropriately, it is time to pray for them. :gopray2: We must all remember to keep our eye focused on the Lord.

[quote=Caelicola] I however, would find it torturous to live in a culture where so much attention is paid to such unimportant things.
[/quote]

Now, I don’t think showing respect is unimportant. After all, when you go to a wedding, what do you wear? I’m betting you wear a dress (if you are a woman) or slacks and possibly a tie (if you are a man). Why would we dress up for weddings and not Mass?

That said, I believe there are certain circumstances where these types of clothes cannot be worn to Mass. If a person simply can’t afford nice things in their wardrobe’'s, if for some reason the person simply wasn’t able to change before Mass without missing it, etc. This is why I try not to have a heart attack when I see someone dressed less than what I’d like to see them in. They may have a perfectly good reason that God will value even if I don’t. Now, modesty is a separate issue. Tube tops shouldn’t even be worn outside of Mass much less in. :thumbsup:

[quote=ProudArmyWife]You bring up an interesting point. We all (as in all Catholics, not anyone particular :slight_smile: ) need to be sure to take a step back and not be judgemental on people who one feels may not be dressed appropriately. Perhaps one is homeless and has come to Mass - Family camping - Coming directly from work - just heard horrible news and came to pray, etc. My point being that we do not know others circumstances of life. If one sees someone dressed inappropriately, it is time to pray for them. :gopray2: We must all remember to keep our eye focused on the Lord.
[/quote]

You obviously read my mind since we were posting at the same time!

I try to wear a little better clothing than I would at home or to work since I dress casual at work. However, I will admit that sometimes circumstances dictate that I am not as dressed up as I would like to be. If I find that I have to wear something more casual due to time constraints, then I try to wear a long coat to mask it.

I also am of the mind that it is more important to be there, than to be dressed perfectly. Attendance is the first priority, and attending is the second- dress is farther down on my list. I will admit that it is hard not to think something when you see some inappropriately dressed teens for instance. They often wear short tops, and things that are definitely not appropriate. I would never let my kids do that when they were that age and going to church with me. I don’t blame the kids as much as the parents. We have become too casual in our dress IMHO.

[rant]
I get kinda T’d off about this particular topic. Some of us just don’t have money to waste on fancy clothing. I wear jeans everyday, every where I go. And ya know what? They’re WalMart jeans. I don’t think I own a piece of clothing (other than coats) that cost me more than $20. If a piece of clothing costs more than that, I won’t buy it. Waste of money unless it is a specific ‘special purpose’ article (ie. winter boots, heavy coat, etc.).

I pick the cleanest, most ‘respectable’ jeans I have, along with one of my better T-shirts (yes, all I own are T-shirts). I try not to wear anything with holes or tears, but sometimes thats all I have that happens to be clean come Sunday. Why would it even matter if I wear a T-shirt since I don’t take my coat off anyway?

Some of us wear jeans because that is what we have. Some of us were raised in such a way as to see suits & dress slacks as ‘rich’ clothes. I wouldn’t dress like a Yuppy if you paid me to. :mad:

[/end rant]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.