Do you ever wish that more gopels would be found?

I mean gospels that would be universally accepted as true

I do… I would love to know more about the lost years of Christ…I would like to know if He was always in Nazareth…I would like to know so many things about Christ and the Holy Family

I love Acts of the Apostles because Luke talks about the very sort of things that I like to know

I would like to know when Christ actually knew who He was, or perhaps he always knew on some level, and how He handled it growing up

Yeah that’d be cool. :thumbsup: Especially if we could learn more of Jesus’ childhood :slight_smile:

I wish Q would be confirmed/found. Imagine all the new sayings of Jesus we would have! :slight_smile:

If I am not mistaken, the Catholic Church teaches that Christ always retained the beatific vision. He knew who He was in the womb. If John the Baptist who had only a human nature leapt in the womb in recognition of the voice of the mother of God, and was filled with the Holy Ghost, how can we doubt that God’s Son having natures both divine and human had much higher cognitive function and knowledge of who and where He was from the moment of the Incarnation?

Fr. Faber touches upon your questions a lot in his book, Bethlehem. He holds that we learn a lot about God by the fact that Jesus years before his ministry are mostly hidden. The hiddeness of God is a frequent theme of his and he draws comparisons between the hidden life at Nazareth with the hidden life in the Holy Eucharist among aother things. Without faith, no one would suspect that the Creator and all-powerful God of the Universe resides in a Catholic tabernacle. Likewise, without faith, He was only the carpenter’s son. Stuff like that. You might enjoy his speculations. It is probably still sold by TAN Publishers.

But in answer to your question, I do not wish for any more Scripture. It is an article of faith with me that God has abundantly given us everything that is needed and best for the trials of our faith here and now. I think there are reasons that we will rejoice at if we make it to heaven, that we will learn about God’s wisdom and why there is hiddenness and silence about some matters.

Rory

I agree it would be neat. I think it was St. John that said, “if every thing Christ taught was written down the volumes would fill the world”. It kind of saddens me. I mean if He taught it, I would like to know it. It was after all important enough for Him to teach.

Though, I don’t think any thing found now would ever be held on par with scripture.

I thought it might be well to provide some further proof from a Doctor of the Church regarding my understanding that Our Lord from His infancy was fully cognizant of His own identity and more:

“Even from the womb of Mary, Jesus Christ accepted obediently the sacrifice which his Father had desired him to make, even his Passion and death: *Becoming obedient unto death. *So that even from the womb of Mary he foresaw the scourges and presented them to his flesh; he foresaw the thorns and presented them to his head; he foresaw the blows and presented them to his cheeks; he foresaw the nails and opresented them to his hands and feet; ; he foresaw the cross, and offered his life. Hence it is true that even from his earliest infancy our blessed Redeemer every moment of his life suffered a continual martyrdom; and he offered it every moment for us to his eternal Father.”

—St, Alphonsus de Liguori, The Incarnation Birth and Infancy of Jesus Christ, Meditation Ten for Advent, p. 195., copyright 1927 by Very Rev. James Barron, C.SS.R.

I basically receive what I might want that way through the writings of the saints. :smiley:

See the above amongst others!

Pere Binet’s ‘The Divine Favors Granted St. Joseph’ has always impressed me too. :slight_smile:

I don’t think the church considers the opinion of the saints in the same light they do the gospels…We are free to believe or not to believe

The gospels are written in stone we must believe…I have great respect for the saints and believe much of what they have written and envisioned, but it will never be on the same level for me as scripture, nor should it be

Just because something isn’t in the Gospels and viewed on the same level, doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

God reveals through the saints things He does not reveal at large because I often think, at large does not deserve to hear it nor would treat it properly. It is often hidden treasure only given to some.

And what’s true is true. :slight_smile: No one is closer to God and more knowledgeable about God in this life than the saints.

Of course…as St John said “if” everything were written down. I think that might mean we know all that was written.

We are not obliged by the Church to accept private revelation and we are obliged to accept the Gospels

I love the saints but it is not the same for me

I paraphrased the Gospel according to St John.

Yes you did…However do you know for sure that none are lost?

We have all we need to know for salvation, but that doesn’t mean that there couldn’t be other books that were lost

Look at the Dead Sea Scroll

No I don’t…but we are in absolute agreement. **We have all we need to know for salvation. :thumbsup:

Yes but I still wish there was more about Christ’s hidden years…He is the most important person that has ever lived…I wish I knew more and more and more

This raised an interesting question for me: What would happen if more gospels were found? What would the church do?

Well…I’m not sure they would be accepted for many years…decades for that matter. They would also have to be completely supportive of what we already believe and not introduce anything that has already been considered heresy.

If I recall correctly once while reading about a new devotion, possibly the Sacred Heart or Divine Mercy, God revealed that the reason he had hidden so many things about his life was that in the beginning people of Faith would have been distracted by them from the fundamentals – in Christianity’s beginnings people were easily on fire for God and all He had given them…

But now in these times He reveals such devotions as to His Sacred Heart more fully, to rekindle the fervor of the people – what once would have distracted from the fundamentals is helpful for those whom the Gospel is already familiar.

It is God’s decision what to reveal and not reveal. .

But those are private revelations. :slight_smile:

And I said the truth is the truth. :slight_smile: The truth of 2+2=4 is no more or less true in the Gospel than it is outside of it.

You don’t rely on these revelations in the same way as you do dogma, except for what parts are of that, but you can benefit from them more greatly than fairly anything you’ll find elsewhere with the proper approach. :slight_smile:

There are no more trustworthy people on earth.

I think the sentiment behind the question is a great one: the desire to know more and more about Jesus. That is what we hope to spend eternity in heaven doing. :slight_smile:

I would just point out, though, that there aren’t going to be any more Gospels. The canon is set. It has been dogmatically defined. Nothing else will be added to it.

Even great archaelogical finds (such as the Dead Sea Scrolls) did not bring to light any new documents of which we were previously completely unaware. It shed light on the documents we already had, but no new documents were uncovered.

Even if a new document were to be uncovered, it would simply be considered apocryphal. It would never be recognized as Scripture because (a) it has been completely absent from Sacred Tradition for 2000+ years and (b) as I said above, the canon has already been dogmatically defined.

Nonetheless, it doesn’t mean we can’t glean spiritual benefits from non-scriptural works. I recommend The Life of St. Joseph by Maria Cecilia Baij. It covers the life of St. Joseph from birth to death (which of course includes the childhood of Jesus). It’s private revelation. You don’t have to believe a word of it. But could it be true? Sure. I found the book very edifying.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.