Do you fear for your salvation?

This is an honest question to which I believe I deserve honest answers.

Do you truly believed that you are saved because you professed your faith in Jesus, or because you did a few things nice for some people? For those of you who are convinced that you are saved, how can you be so sure that something won’t happen to you? Do you really believe that you are doing the Lord’s work, when in His eyes you could be exacerbating Him into divine wrath?

Just something to think about.

I think you can only be saved if you have a reason to be saved. And people who need saving are usually sinking in something…

You can either ask for justice of mercy.

If you try to show God all your good deeds - you will get justice. And he will also consider your bad deeds as well - and that will be the end of that…

If you show God all your misery though - if you show God that you are sinking - then you will have a reason to be saved. You will have a reason to gain his mercy. Mercy can only be merciful to those who need mercy - and those without any misery have no need of mercy. But those with misery have much need of it!

It is not by works, but by faith that we are saved. Faith without works is dead of course, but faith in God and His mercy, and the recognition of our misery is what draws God’s mercy to us.

So why count your good deeds? Show God your rags in repentance for your sins, and have faith in God’s mercy - He will NEVER let you down then!!!

Even if you have faith, what’s to say that you won’t lose it tomorrow? Judging by the fact that you don’t know when the hour of your death will be you don’t know whether you’ll be a believer at the time of death. By then it might be too late for you.

When I talk about fearing for your salvation I’m not implying despair of any kind. I’m talking about clinging onto your salvation, simply because of that degree of uncertainty that will always be there until you die.

I’m assuming you are directing your questions to Protestants because all Catholics know that there is no assurance of salvation. Unless you die in a state of grace you are not saved.

We place our hope and trust in Jesus Christ for our salvation.

How can be in fear, if I trust in Him?

Jim

Do fear judgment sometimes. I sometimes don’t honestly remember if I have all my sins confessed

I believe I am saved because of God’s love for me prompting Him to send His only Son to open the way through His sacrifice.

I fear that I have not done enough to show that I have accepted the invitation for salvation extended to me by that act. But I continue in hope and persevere in improving myself as taught by the apostles and the Church.

I believe that despite all of my sins, unworthiness of God’s love and wretchedness that God will have mercy and compassion on me, but I also believe that I’m a work in progress. I felt much better after I went to Eucharistic Adoration yesterday and found a book written by St. Louis De Montfort called “The Secret Of The Rosary”.

If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins “you shall receive a never fading crown of glory.” Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practice black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if-and mark well what I say- if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon for your sins.

**St. Louis De Montfort

The Secret Of The Rosary **

rosary-center.org/secret.htm

“Those who say it fervently and frequently will gradually grow in grace and holiness and will enjoy the special protection of Our Lady and the abiding friendship of God. No one can live continually in sin and continue to say the Rosary. Either he will give up sin or he will give up the Rosary.”

Bishop Hugh Boyle

After reading all of that and many more excerpts from that book, all I could do is give God thanks and praise for such a powerful weapon, and for such a beautiful,loving and protective Mother.

HAIL MARY!!!

We can only do our best,and what other people judge you on is unimportant as long as
it was your best,
Surely thats what we will be judged on,as for fearing for my salvation i say no i dont,
id rather believe in it.
Amen

I don’t really fear it, but I still keep working on it as its a matter of heaven or hell.

I fear that I have not done enough to show that I have accepted the invitation for salvation extended to me by that act. But I continue in hope and persevere in improving myself as taught by the apostles and the Church.

You believe that you are saved, yet you don’t know if you’ll still believe in God 2 days from now or what have you. What makes you think that you’re “saved”? You’re not in heaven so you have no place to be calling yourself that.

Yes, all the time. I don’t deserve it one little bit, except that Christ died for my sins. I have a long history of sinning while I was away from the Church.

I actually aspire only to Purgatory b/c I don’t think I have a hope of gaining Heaven without it. So please pray for those in Purgatory now, so a slot will be open for me when I need it!

Ditto, and for much the same reason. I spent 27 years away from the Church, and although my sins have been forgiven, there is that small matter of temporal effect… I pray faithfully for the suffering souls in Purgatory, hoping that maybe they will return the favor once I am there and they are in Heaven. And if they are still in Purgatory once I get there, I will be among friends!

The question is odd. I don’t believe I’m saved for either reason. Professing faith means nothing. Having faith means everything.

One is saved through faith in Jesus. On that both Protestants and Catholics agree. Lots of issues come up regarding what faith means.

For example, a Protestant may say that my faith is lacking because I feel like works are necessary for my salvation. My answer to that is – I believe in Christ. I believe in the words that He has said. I believe Him when He clearly says that:

• to remain in Him, we must obey His commandments
  • those who hear his words and do not act upon them are those who build their house on sand
  • be perfect, as the heavenly father is perfect
  • with God, all things are possible

God gives us the grace to do all of these things, through faith. But we need to do them.

For those of you who are convinced that you are saved, how can you be so sure that something won’t happen to you? Do you really believe that you are doing the Lord’s work, when in His eyes you could be exacerbating Him into divine wrath?

You can’t be sure that something won’t happen to you. Anyone can backslide. What you can do is maintain faith in Christ, and persevere to the end.

Do you really believe that you are doing the Lord’s work, when in His eyes you could be exacerbating Him into divine wrath?

I don’t really get this question. Are you referring to something specific? Or just the general possibility that I think I’m acting in God’s will, but I’m wrong? If that’s it, the answer lies in how one goes about determining what is in God’s will.

I think some of you people are giving my question too much thought. :slight_smile:

I’m not implying anything beyond what I’ve written. I think the question is quite simple. Do you fear for your salvation, knowing that just because you have the faith that you have now that doesn’t mean that it’ll always be there? Faith is a gift from God that He has been known to give to those who seek it, and it is also a gift he has been known to take away/allow evanescence of the host’s own volition.

The italicized words aren’t very important, they’re just things to think about that I’m not expecting any answers for.

It seems to me that you may be looking for a debate more than answers. I can usually tell when one starts a thread of argument just for the arguments sake, and that looks like what you are attempting to start here. I don’t really see you looking for an answer here. It appears that you feel like you already have the answer, and you just want to explain it thirty different ways to Sunday. These are the threads that I tend to stay away from, and thats exactly what I’ll do with this one after these words.

I’m not looking for a debate. If I was I wouldn’t even post this thread here. Why am I not allowed to ask a question for people to think about without being accused of being argumentative? All I want to see is what people think about this subject, so yes, I do have the answer to my question but I want to know what other people think.

I don’t know if I’m saved or not. I leave that up to God. I just try to live a spiritual life, and follow the example of the saints.
God bless
jesus g

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.