Do you fear that you may go to Hell?

I’m interested in opinions from all Religions.

Do you ever think that you may not make it to Heaven based on the tenants of your Religion, or are you sure that you will go to Heaven?

I think I would be lying if I said that I did not fear hell. But it is not based on my actions. My fear steams from the ability to intellectually falter. To put it more bluntly, I fear that my beliefs may be wrong and this would be my downfall. I pray that God is more merciful and forgiving than I think and will forgive me for my ignorance of Him. My sins, while great, I trust in his mercy and lean on His promise to forgive. Make sense?

I don’t fear pitchforks and demons. I fear separation from God. But He gives us the answer to staying close to Him, so I have hope.

Only those who endure will be saved.

I pray for endurance. I hope in Christ, but I know that Jesus will not stop me from walking away if I so choose.

I deal with a habitual sin that I often fall into, so yes, I do fear Hell. I know that it is entirely possible for me to die in a state of mortal sin, and as such forfeit my connection to God forever.

I pray that I die in a state of grace, but I can never be sure that it will happen.

I don’t think any of us should assume our place in Heaven is a certainty.I know that Jesus Christ opened the gates of Heaven to all who follow Him,yet we are to work out our salvation with humility,fear and trembling. I do trust in God’s promise for eternal life,and just need to persevere in doing my part to ensure my chances of obtaining that.:slight_smile:

Yes, mostly due to habitual sin.

I do not fear going to hell.

Jesus has told us that who ever believes in him shall have eternal life. My faith is in Jesus, not in myself. Meaning, there is nothing I can do to ‘save’ myself. Jesus has already shed the blood that was needed for my forgiveness. We need to believe that and believe in Him. It’s called faith.

If interested, do a search with the words ‘believe in him’ on the likes of bible gateway. Many, many results will show that believing in Jesus gives you eternal life.

I realize that many on this forum don’t believe in this, which is sad.

I don’t fear going to Hell, as my trust and confidence is in Jesus Christ and all He has done (not the tenants of my religion). IF faith and grace in Jesus turn out to be wrong, then Hell is what I would deserve, and that would mean I had failed my Lord and God Whom I love, so it seems like it would be fitting… I don’t know, that kind of thought, once I had it, cast out fear.

I fear that it might be real, but i have doubts too.

So, i’ll let you know when i get there. :frowning:

Maybe i was predestined for it. runs away fast from thread

So, how do you account for all the instances where we are warned that salvation can be lost? Even Paul speaks of working though his salvation with fear and trembling.

I want to be with God. If i die now, at this instant, i will be in Hell!!

Hope you don’t mind that I am borrowing some of your words. :thumbsup:
I would add that I pray not to take this for granted.

Peace

“Forgive them for they know not what they do”- Jesus,

When I was young I made very serious (mortal sins). My father warned me that it was a serious sin taught by Catholics ( he was Protestant ). I did it anyways. It took a long time for me to goto confession. After confession, it didn’t feel like I was forgiven right away. In fact, it seemed like God was slowly taking me on a journey of repentance. I have been to numerous confessions since then.

However, there is a temporal residual left from these bad things. The more I get to know God, the more sorry I am for doing wrong. When I re-confess it to a Priest they often say that I need to learn to forgive myself. I however, don’t think self-forgiveness is what is causing me to be more contrite. I believe that true contrition will allow the sinner to examine their wrong doing to fully understand why it is wrong. This is why Jesus says, “they know not what they do.” Still to this day, I don’t think I fully grasp the seriousness of my wrong doings.

Hell. I believe in Hell. I have seen glimpses of Hell on earth. I have meet people who have no longing to stop hurting themselves or others. When I pray the rosary, I pr y for the conversion of sinners-starting with me.

I have many friends who are Prostestant and they are sure they are going to heaven. They say “I have accepted Jesus as my personal Savior” and therefore I will go to heaven. As a Catholic, I pray daily that I just don’t go to Hell, but I’m sure I won’t make to Heaven on the first try.:shrug:

What do you mean “First try?” We only get one shot at this. Now, if you meant you’re going to need a stop in Purgatory beforehand then yeah, I think that applies to most of us.

7Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love…If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen

and

14For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

These verses are a cause of concern for me, because I know I do not love and forgive as I should. I will continue to try to love and forgive more, and hope and pray for God’s mercy. I cannot presume I’ll make it to heaven without becoming more loving and forgiving.

One poster said about not fully appreciating the gravity of previous sins. I have worried about that myself. Also i have a fear of being in front of the Lord and being one of those told that ;i never knew you’. Sometimes though i wonder if it is not dark forces that put those kind of thoughts there. I always feel i don;t do enough for charitable causes and that bothers me.

This is what I think as well… few of us are perfect.
.I’m far from it… but my faith is always their…
I like to think of myself as the sinner on the cross being crusified with Jesus… telling Jesus I am a sinner not worthy
Of any sympathy at all… and because I Believe …
I will be saved… but I do not believe I will go unpunished

For me the key to your question, “Do you ever think…” Here I must say - yes. I have thought this (hence repentance) and I will likely think it again.
However, I can also safely say that I am “sure” (that is I have confidence) that I will go to heaven - though only after much purification in the place of purgation.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.