Do you find it difficult or easy to not support gay marrige/unions in this cultural environment?

I don’t even know how a catholic should deal with that

I don’t think much at all about homosexuals because I never happen to be near them at all

I guess it depends on what you mean by “support”.

I would vote against it if it were an option.

I don’t preach on the street corner or deliberately engage on the subject at work, but will defend myself and/or remove myself if the conversation becomes too heated,

If they are Catholic and fall into sin, I can empathize. Homosexuality is not an issue I struggle with, but I have my own sins and I can understand what it is to try and fail. I will support them in any way I can and encourage them to Confession and to try again.

If they are not CAtholic, they are not worried about their homosexuality, but I am. I try to show what it is to be in love with God and the knowledge that life with Him is always going to be better than life without Him and that the fullness of Truth is found in the Catholic Church. I pray for them and ask for Mary’s intercession. I don’t engage in arguments about it, but I answer questions when asked.

Despite having friends and family who identify as homosexual, I haven’t been asked to attend a SSM ceremony…I’m divided on the issue and would probably seek counsel before making a decision.

So, I don’t find it easy to believe the teachings of the Church. I understand WHY homosexual actions are intrinsically disordered. I understand how it is harmful to both the persons involved and society in general. I don’t like being in conflict with others, particularly, so it can be uncomfortable if I’m the only nay-sayer in a group. But, honestly, it doesn’t come up much as a topic of conversation.

Not particularly hard, but I don’t find myself in a lot of situations where I’m forced to stand up for the Catholic position.

no one has asked me to support" or “not support” “gay marriage”

the concept is being forced on us

it is really not being “debated” anymore

when the populaces “votes against” "gay marriage in a “popular vote”

the courts just reverse the will of the people

we’ve been routed & defeated on this issue

let’s concentrate on “pro-life” where “we” may be to starting to have’d’d gained a toehold

I’m just referring to the legal definition as it is legal in some countries.

For me the problem is less a matter of popular perception as it is a matter of conflicting ideas.

I believe in Jesus and I believe in the Roman Catholic Church. But I am also an American and I believe in the seperation of church and state.

I can’t find any reason why a country with freedom of religion and separation of church and state should legally prevent two consenting and unrelated adult humans from marrying.

Legal schmegle. God has made His view on the matter crystal clear. I share His view.

I’m more at the beginning end of Gen Y so don’t have it as hard as you but it’s still hard because there is so much support for it in my age group too and we are all still social creatures.
I wish people would be as tolerant for people that don’t accept gay marriage/union as for those that do.

Isn’t using terms like “gender equality” even a form of social pressure because what is the implication if you don’t support gay marriage?

I completely agree.
I’m just using it for the threads sake.

I see what you mean,but even if you say to a person something along the lines of “I personally believe that marriage is between a man and a woman but in a country that’s separate from religion I am fine with gay marriage being legal” will they accept that?

They sound like nice friends.God bless them.

Gay people used to marry in devout heterosexual unions and create the fulfillment of family because it was the right thing to do, with no regrets.

Why would you want the state to make it legal for people to do something intrinsically evil which would send them to Hell?

Because I believe that, as long as you don’t hurt or endanger others, you should be allowed to make your own decisions. In other words, your right to swing your fist ends at my nose.

Moreover, it would be a violation of the first amendment to pass legislation based on the doctrines of any one religion. I wouldn’t want the law to force me to adhere to a religious doctrine if I didn’t believe it, so I should give others the same courtesy. Before I can justify such a thing I need scientific evidence that gay and lesbian weddings do provable harm.

Finally, your statement is a little presumptuous. The Catholic Church declares homosexuality to be a grave matter, but you can’t say that it “would send them to Hell” or even that it’s a mortal sin. Can you look into the souls and minds of others to determine if full knowledge and deliberate consent are present (i.e. the other two requirments for a sin to be mortal).

A more accurate description of my beliefs is “I am a member of the Catholic Church but I do not think a free country like America should criminalize gay marriage”.

I know what the church teaches, but I can’t really say I disapprove of gay marriage. If you asked me to prove that abortion or adultery were evil I could do so, but if you asked me to prove the same of homosexuality I would be stumped because I can’t point to any victim. I know LGBT people who are kind, who are productive members of society, and who sincerely believe in and worship Jesus. How can I tell them they’re doing something wrong or that Jesus wouldn’t approve of if I can’t identify a victim?

Right, full knowledge and complete and deliberate consent are needed for it to actually be a mortal sin. Nevertheless, I’m sure you would agree that legalizing homosexual “marriage” would lead to more mortal sins being committed and more souls going to Hell, even if not all of them go to Hell. Why would God want that? Do you think the U.S. Constitution is more important than the salvation of souls? (Although, I doubt that banning sodomy would be unconstitutional, since the 1st Amendment doesn’t necessarily give the freedom to practice whatever one believes)

Keep in mind that even Pope Francis, despite being seen as too liberal at times, strongly condemns homosexual “marriage,” saying that it isn’t even close to God’s plan for marriage. Note also that the Pope condemns the idea that countries ought to allow “marriage” between persons of the same sex. Below, I quote paragraph 251 of Amoris Laetitia.

In discussing the dignity and mission of the family, the Syond Fathers observed that, “as for proposals to place unions between homosexual persons on the same level as marriage, there are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family.” It is unacceptable “that local Churches should be subjected to prssure in this matter and that international bodies should make financial aid to poor countries dependent on the introduction of laws to establish ‘marriage’ between persons of the same sex.”

@borninmarch and others,

Also though,do not children have a right to have both a mother and father in committed relationship (at least ideally)?

I would think that gay relationships don’t hurt anyone (except the person themselves if they were gay due to being sexually abused as a child and they aren’t making the connection) but any children born through this I would assume would usually be through IVF and I don’t like the thought of random men just donating their sperm to many women (even if well intended).

I think that’s what it comes down to, humans are a tribal species and it’s hard to go against the norms of one’s tribe. I live in the UK which is still secular country where the Catholic Church isn’t much of a force so on a social level my tribe is my non-Catholic friends rather than people in my parish who I don’t find vety relatable.

I try to remember that the spiritual is more important and my identity as a Catholic is more important but it’s not instinctive at all.

Incidentally I thought millennials and generation Y were both used for people born between 1980 and 1999?

That last part is debatable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.