Do you find it difficult or easy to not support gay marrige/unions in this cultural environment?

It’s very debatable indeed

It is debatable, but it’s not impossible either. Fulfilling your life with a partner (who becomes closest to you) and discovering the love of children (fatherhood, motherhood) I would say beats all odds to becoming a social outcast; as it was back then. Nowadays you can do all that being gay in some parts, but that also means to let your standards rule over the church’s teaching. All of us (gay or not) have the challenge of giving up something of our personal want/values to lead a moral life.

What helps me is accepting differences in views on marriage exist. I find it easy to say “this is the way we see marriage in the Catholic Church” without then needing to say “and you must think the same”. I give both myself and other people the freedom to agree or disagree. I rarely feel the need to try to coerce other people to believe the same as me, and likewise I feel freedom to think what I think.

And I certainly feel no need desire to try and disrupt stable loving same-sex relationships.

I don’t find it hard. I don’t mind going against the grain and I’m very eager to argue in defense of my opinion. I also live in the south which is more conservative and tolerant of differing opinions. Finally I don’t have any homosexual friends. I would not generally make close friendships with homosexuals by which I mean people who actively live that lifestyle.

As someone else said I think it is much harder to handle second/adulterous marriages. This is sadly very common and almost no one anywhere thinks a thing about it. This is where being in the south is not an advantage as modern Protestants don’t have a problem with these marriages. Worse for me is that my parents are divorced and my father married again. I didn’t support that when I was a child. That didn’t stop it and was its own problem.

I believe children have the right to be raised in a home by a parent who loves them, but I don’t think that has to be a mother and a father. Sometimes a child loses one of his parents and the other has to raise him alone. Sometimes a child loses both of his parents and has to be raised by another family member (such as an uncle or a grandparent). I wouldn’t want widows or widowers to be obliged to remarry in order to keep custody of their child.

I couldn’t imagine the wives would be happy though to be deceived into thinking their husband was attracted to them but really was in love with men😯

No,I wouldn’t want widowers to either but I mean more ideally.
If someone (sadly) loses a spouse then that is in no way their doing,not self chosen or responsible.
There seems to be some social problems such as some young men being immature or kids feeling “gender neutral” and gender confusion etc…could some of this be due to broken homes and not having good role models from both genders?
If this is the case,wouldn’t it be even more so for children raised in gay unions/marriage and sperm donation?

Gay couples might think all that’s neeeded is love,and no doubt most are loving parents, but isn’t more needed because otherwise (and this may sound controversial) isn’t there a possible that while they may raise happy and responsible children but not particularly feminine or masculine ones?
Ie:is there a possibility it can “water down the genders” by not having parent of each gender?

I’ve heard that there was a genetic component at play with regards to sexuality and gender. That makes more sense to me because there have been a lot of gay and transgender people who came from traditional families.

As for ideal situations, we don’t really live in an ideal world. I don’t know if it’s better to be raised by a two loving heterosexual parents or two loving homosexual parents, but I have a strong feeling that either situation would be better than growing up as an orphan with no parents at all.

Putting it bluntly I would not want to be married to a man who was gritting his teeth and thinking about Hugh Jackman whenever we were intimate.

I have very few gay friends, none of whom are “married” although where I live, same sex marriage is legal.

They know I am Catholic (they are not, or at least not practicing), I have spoken to 1 about the views of the church…but I also told him I will not judge him. Who am I to do this? I too am a sinner.

So my stand on this is, I do not agree…but I will not judge. I understand there are legal advantages to them getting married, and if they decide to go this way one day, the state allows it.

We may believe it is not right, but Jesus never told us to condemn anyone, on the contrary, He told us to forgive. So I forgive, and I pray. That’s the only thing I can really do.

I’m 25. In the last four jobs I’ve had (consultant to the HHS, telecom technician, think tank researcher, and EMT) people were so busy for so much of the day, that there wasn’t any time for anyone to make me go to something on gay marriage, or to yell at me about it.

If somebody did start with anything controversial, someone would always quickly say, “We don’t have time for this rabbit hole.”

Same here as well. It is really hard :frowning:

You can still love a person without being physically attracted to them. Having respect and care for each other is a higher gradient then simple attraction. Plus it wouldn’t make sense if the husband came out as gay, for the wife to trash the relationship when you both put a lot of effort and consideration to it. I would say the gay husband put his moral perspectives first rather than his opposite attraction, and the wife should acknowledge that.

It’s very dishonest though

It should not matter that no one has your back. If you have the knowledge and the opportunity, politely explain the truth. If others give you a hard time then that is to be expected. Their anger is to try to cover their guilt in not following well thought out Church teaching.

Only people change things, not the date on the calendar. In the 1970s, I worked with LGBT people and I did not think for one second what they did on their own time. We got along.

Sure, people do what they want but Church teaching needs to be affirmed. There’s no reason to be difficult about it but same-sex marriages cannot be viewed as equivalent to heterosexual marriages. So this sort of debate may help a few people but the goal here should be to provide the Catholic answer, always.

A member of my Catholic family is in a gay union. It makes me very uncomfortable. Fortunately he lives about 600 miles away. We are supposed to admonish the sinner but quite frankly he’s considered the genius in the family and nobody tells him anything,

Pray for him and you are doing the absolute best thing you can for him under the circumstances.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.