Do you get offended when folks here challenge or critisise your faith?

I posted this here because on this forum there is the most variety of discussions of different belief systems here…

Do you get offended by critisisms of your religion or belief system? :slight_smile:

As the first person to vote on this poll, I want to say I wanted more than one option! I am deeply offended that you did not think ahead and realize every possiblilty before posting!

Just kidding. I did want more that one choice though. I try not to take offense, but I think that around “that time of the month” I tend to be more prickly than at other times.

It is very easy on this forum to misunderstand and take offense when none is meant. On the otherhand, there are those who are offensive no matter what “time of the month” it is. I enjoy defending my beliefs, but I dislike it when it stoops to personal attacks. Sometimes, it is hard to draw the line between those two.

I *try to *assume the best, but I do not always succeed. And unfortunately, I sometimes reply nastily back. But if I do it too frequently, I just remove myself from the boards for awhile.

I know how frustating it is for others to assume the worst about me, even when you try to explain what your true intentions are, even when taking the precaution of doing private messages. I try not to do the same. But truly, thank God Jesus died for my sins!

God Bless,
Maria

I get annoyed when people not only on the boards disrespect my faith,but its mosy annoying when i hear it from people who dont know anything about religions,they just like to disrespect to get a reaction!:mad:

Challenge - no. Criticize - no. Question - no. Disrespect - yes.

Hi WhiteDove!

Having lived off a constant diet of criticism, disrespect and impudence for most of my life, I’d have to say that I’ve become numb to all of it.

I liked MariaG’s reply! But, Iguess that I have not participated in this forum enough to see many negative attacks on my faith or me personally. However, there have been opinions that I disagree with. I will not compromize my faith and if someones asks me a direct question, they should expect nothing less than an honest reply. Go bless!

Dove;
No. Especially if they seem misinformed or emotionally upset.
I try, within limits, to give them the same room to vent as if I was talking to them in private. Say stupid things about the Catholic Church? - sorry to say, been there, done that, before I knew better.
The knife cuts both ways, too. I’ve heard some pretty nasty insults offered to people of other religous faiths. That doesn’t seem right to me.

[quote=WhiteDove]I posted this here because on this forum there is the most variety of discussions of different belief systems here…

Do you get offended by critisisms of your religion or belief system? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

don’t you?

No, I deal with it all the time at school, especially with many of my anti-Christian friends.

[quote=LoneRanger]don’t you?
[/quote]

No, I don’t.

No, I think offended might be the wrong word for what I feel when folks here or in my family/friends circle challenge or criticize my beliefs and/or my decision to convert. When I am criticized by my fundamentalist friends and/or family members, I think they are entitled to their own beliefs even though I don’t agree. Now if they belittle me or tell me I’m going to hell or some other such nonesense, I feel sorry and sad for them and yes at times will get offended. Like Maria said…it really depends on which time of the month I’m hit with it and if I’ve taken enough vitamins during that time. haha.

They can argue all day long…no problem. They can question everything about the Church…I’ll happily try to convert them. They insult our Mother…and I get nasty. Don’t mess with family.

I have no problems with people who come and question my faith in a respectful way. We can get a discussion going without much problem. But I do not appreciate someone flying over and saying, “You Catholics are going to hell”. Ah…yeah, sure. And he says it as if it’s the truth. I also have little patience on someone who goes back to a point over and over even if we’ve discussed that point a thousand times.

[quote=Milliardo]I have no problems with people who come and question my faith in a respectful way. We can get a discussion going without much problem. But I do not appreciate someone flying over and saying, “You Catholics are going to hell”. Ah…yeah, sure. And he says it as if it’s the truth. I also have little patience on someone who goes back to a point over and over even if we’ve discussed that point a thousand times.
[/quote]

Bingo!

whitedove- i think that there’s a reason your option “i only get offended by what i perceive as disrespect” gets such high ratings. many of the posts here (at least on this section of the board) are started off in a rather disrespectful tone, and only get worse from there. there are many problems with many religions/churches, and oftentimes an adherent of a particular religion is even aware of said problems. but when somebody comes in taking pot-shots, well, it’s kind of like when somebody says something bad about your mother. even if you agree, the fact that somebody is slamming your family just brings up the hackles.

Speaking as an Orthodox person, I enjoy the debates which we have on this Forum. When I get irritated by something I sit back and work out the reason why I am irritated. If the other person has simply been deliberately rude, I will tend to fire off a rocket in his direction. :smiley:

If I have irritated someone else, I try to see what it was that was offensive and to correct it with another post.

One thing I really dislike is when people set up threads which seem doomed to be confrontational from the start - ones with titles such as “Catholicism vs Orthodoxy.” We could do without the “versus” - but maybe I am being too sensitive?

[quote=Fr Ambrose]Speaking as an Orthodox person, I enjoy the debates which we have on this Forum. When I get irritated by something I sit back and work out the reason why I am irritated. If the other person has simply been deliberately rude, I will tend to fire off a rocket in his direction. :smiley:

If I have irritated someone else, I try to see what it was that was offensive and to correct it with another post.

One thing I really dislike is when people set up threads which seem doomed to be confrontational from the start - ones with titles such as “Catholicism vs Orthodoxy.” We could do without the “versus” - but maybe I am being too sensitive?
[/quote]

I agree there shoud be no verses there:D :wink:

I suppose my biggest pet peeve is the TLM vs NO mass debate. I have to put my pride aside and figure that everyone is entitled to their own opinions on it. I just feel that if either mass still has the Eucharist and is done to glorify God each has it’s own merits. Not one party is more “holy” than the other just because they go to the other mass. IMHO.

Enough infighting already! :wink:

Peace be with you.

I only get offended when the attacks are personal. I sometimes fire back and sometimes start an ignore rule if the poster is particularly obnoxious. I have found there is a habit of many here defending other posters when they have been treated poorly. I call this the knight-in-shining-armor syndrome.

Hi WhiteDove,
I try to think of it this way…Why would a non Catholic come to a Catholic Answers forum? Well, as I see it, there are a few different reasons:

1. Those who are seeking…any questions that they would ask deserve an answer without getting irritated at the person.

2. Those who really just want to know more about us for themselves, not what they are “told” by others. Sometimes they can get confrontational or be perceived as rude but they really just want to know the answer so they can learn what makes us tick. I pray for patience and graciousness when I feel that tinge of “here we go again” before I post a reply.

3. Those who are here to reek havoc out of hate or evil. I do get offended at times but I try not to be rude to them as I firmly let them know what I believe. When I do this I pray that God will use me to soften their hearts and allow him in. I have the idea in my head that maybe they really are seeking God but are rebelling. If that is the case, anger and harsh words is not what will convince them that God is a loving God and that they are worthy of God’s love and mercy.

There are many more reasons for challenging or criticizing our faith, but I find that these are the main ones.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.