Do you get personal revelations from your religion?

Some religions say you can have a personal relationship with Jesus.
Do you get personal revelation from Jesus and the Holy spirit?

In a very general sense I believe most of us some sort of personal revelation at times. However those revelations are just that, personal. Not meant to be used to persuade others to do things or change a churches way of doing things.

Please explain what you mean by “personal revelation”.

1 Like

My personal relationship is most strongly evident when I receive His body and blood in the sacrament. In that sacrament, and in Holy Absolution, I receive the revelation that, for His sake, my sins are forgiven.
That’s very personal me.

Catholicism has a rich history of testimonies from believers down through the centuries of ineffably profound experiences or private revelations. Some of these have the purpose of edifying and encouraging the rest of us while others are meant just for the receiver themselves for some specific reason, all for God’s purposes and at His discretion in any case.

But there’s a ban on sharing them explicitly on CAF due to the often controversial nature of these things. The topic can stir up lots of emotions and reactions: doubt, jealousy, anger, theological objections, etc

Yes, I’ve heard the Lord speak to me many times. I’m a charismatic; I believe that visions and the gifts of the Spirit are fully in operation these days. Besides, it’s Biblical to expect God to speak to you. The Old Testament predicted it; Joel 2:28-29 says “I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams. your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days”.

2 years ago, I was in Detroit for my cousin’s wedding. After the reception, my family and I went back to our hotel room. I was about to go to sleep, when all of a sudden, I heard God say to me “No, don’t go to sleep yet. I want you to pray for unity in the Church”. So I did. He let me go to sleep after I prayed. Since then, I have asked the Lord if that voice was Him and He said yes.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.