Do you have a favorite quotation by Mother Theresa to share?

Please post just ONE quote per day per person. :smiley: Maybe that is dumb? idk. If my request is stupid, then you can disregard it, but it makes quotes seem more special somehow like that IMHO.

It’s more fun to read individual quotes that people like than posting a whole bunch all at one time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“People are not just hungry for bread; they
are hungry for love. They are not just naked for a piece of clothing; they are naked of human
dignity. They are not just homeless for a room made of bricks, but because of rejection.” -Mother Theresa on types of poverty

2 Likes

“It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.”

3 Likes

There are actually so many quotes attributed to her, that she never said, that her sisters have a website to dispute and/or support the truth.

http://www.motherteresa.org/08_info/Quotesf.html

5 Likes

2 Likes

mother-teresa-abortion-quote

3 Likes

This is my favorite one. I sourced it to an out-of-print book on her the last time somebody asked for a saint quote on here, and I am reasonably sure she did say it.

3 Likes

“How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."

2 Likes

A long time ago she came to Canada to establish a house. Her first footprint in Canada. The news interviewer was hostile, ask her why she came to that location, there are other places she should have considered first, and so on. Why this, why that, and her reply was so simple. So perfect. …

Because they invited me.

2 Likes

It’s not really a quote per se, but a prayer. If Mother Theresa was encountered with a pressing issue or petition and didn’t have nine days to complete a full novena, she would say a “Flying Novena”: nine Memorares in a row.

4 Likes

I’ve followed her example and done that a couple times. I think she actually said ten Memorares. The tenth one was for a thank you in advance.

3 Likes

“I’m a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.” .

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that one is on the page from her order as not being Mother Teresa’s own authentic words, but rather significantly paraphrased quotes or someone’s personal interpretation of what she said.

http://www.motherteresa.org/08_info/Quotesf.html

1 Like

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”

2 Likes

Thanks Bear. Nonetheless, I would settle for “significantly paraphrased” and sometimes “personal interpretations of what she said.” so long as it seems in harmony with her character, spirituality, and life’s work.

1 Like

Thanks. What did she say then? never mind if you don’t know. sorry your link is far too much scrolling for my poor disordered brain. It made it into the film about her, but in a much edited version… ie just… I am the pencil in the hand of God (my preferred version). I like it anyway. I do paintings and have paraphrased it to my own and call myself the paintbrush in God’s hand when people praise my art, lol. I am trying not to get a big head as I know it’s not me who does such things and it saves to remind me.

1 Like

I don’t know. I just go by what her order says on the page, and they don’t explain.

I agree it’s a nice thought regardless of who actually said it or what Mother Teresa actually said.

2 Likes

I really like this one. I recently saw it, too, and I hope to interiorize it and better put it into practice.

1 Like

“The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.”

1 Like

Peace begins with a smile. …

1 Like

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.