Do you have a favourite philosopher?

A philosopher is a person with an extensive knowledge of philosophy who uses this knowledge in their work, typically to solve philosophical problems. Philosophy is concerned with studying the subject matter of fields such as aesthetics, ethics, epistemology, logic, metaphysics, as well as social philosophy and political philosophy.

There is a sense in which every human being is a philosopher, if we accept a very humanistic and generous interpretation. This is to say that every human being has a unique contribution of ideas to the society. However, a more generally accepted interpretation in academia is that a philosopher is one who has attained a Ph.D. in philosophy, teaches philosophy, has published literature in a field of philosophy in a peer-reviewed journal, or is widely accepted by other philosophers as a philosopher.

Dr. Peter Kreeft

mlz

Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus and Thomas More

I second Dr. Peter Kreeft. Great books that make sense to me.

My niece. She’s only three and already full of wisdom.

Peter Kreeft in modern times.

Thomas Aquinas for the ages.

Peter Kreeft
My Philosophy Teacher
Friedrich Nietzsche
Plato
St. Augustine
St. Thomas Aquinas

3 guesses who mine is! :smiley:

Nagarjuna also Shantideva and Moses. Among many others :slight_smile:

Etienne Gilson.

Jacques Maritain. His writings are difficult to understand, but with patience and diligence, I find them quite profound.

I also like Mortimer Adler, whose writings are very easy to follow.

For a historian of philosophy, I give my vote to Etienne Gilson because of his vast erudition.

Mortimer Adler, (How to Read a Book;~~Don’t even read the catechism never mind the Bible, without reading this first ten times.!!! What good is your faith if it is based on
misunderstandings?)

The Christ, by whatever personal name
Franklin Merrell-Wolff,
Bernadette Roberts,
Jac O;Keefe,
St. Teresa of Avila
Ramana Maharshi
Rumi
St. Francis of Asisi
Rabia
Mira
St. Catherine of Sienna

1. Aristotle
  2. Aquinas
  3. Emanuel Rutten (a very distant third)

a therese
Fr. Robert spitzer
the first baby Jesus met/knew
another person

God bless Y’all
peace

Diogenes of Sinope, the “Socrates gone mad.”

St. Thomas Aquinas
St. Augustine
Etienne Gilson
Henri Renard S.J.
Charles A. Hart ( Thomistic Metaphysics - ( A-Z and tough, tough! )
Edward Feser PhD ( easy but not complete - a good intro )
Peter Kreeft ( good for the non-philosopher )

:thumbsup:

Socrates, the Father of all philosophers.

:slight_smile:

Most of the great philosophers would not fit that standard of a ‘philosopher’. Basically you have asserted that a philosopher is a man of the system, that propounds the ideas of the system, and is supported by the system. It is nonsense.

That said, I like existentialism from what I have read of it. So far that includes Kierkegaard and Nietchze, and I like both of them.

I see that LordVoldemort’s account got the avada kedavra from the moderators.

I found it! We’re supposed to find the guy who doesn’t belong on the list, right?

I’ve always enjoyed reading Blaise Pascal. :thumbsup:

But I would probably go with Thomas Aquinas as my favorite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.