Do you have a real personal relationship with Jesus Christ?

Do you have have a real personal relationship with Jesus Christ?

Don’t let a Protestant lead you away from our original true Holy Catholic Apostolic Church built upon St. Peter and the Apostles.

You can today get to know Christ in a real personal way today by making him Lord of your life and surrender your whole will to him. He loves you so much that he sheed his life on the cross to set us free.

Don’t just take my word about this, here’s a great video by Fr. Mark Goring explaining it better.

Watch “Fr. Mark Goring - why Catholics become Protestant” on YouTube

Good to see you Victor. Glad you stayed on the rock! :wink:

Oh yea. Thanks

I was tested, but I know that I know the rock I stand on. We must love Jesus and the church he gave us on this earth.

“Christian faith is not only a matter of believing that certain things are true, but above all a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.” -Pope Benedict XVI

“Only in this personal relationship with Christ, only in this encounter with the Risen One do we truly become Christians.” -Pope Benedict XVI

“It is necessary to awaken again in believers a full relationship with Christ, mankind’s only Saviour.” Pope Saint John Paul II

“Let the risen Jesus enter your life, welcome him as a friend, with trust: he is life! If up till now you have kept him at a distance, step forward. He will receive you with open arms. If you have been indifferent, take a risk: you won’t be disappointed. If following him seems difficult, don’t be afraid, trust him, be confident that he is close to you, he is with you and he will give you the peace you are looking for and the strength to live as he would have you do.” -Pope Francis

“Being a Christian means having a living relationship with the person of Jesus; it means putting on Christ, being conformed to him.” -Pope Francis

You know what else helps in having a personal relationship with Jesus?
-Frequent reception of the Eucharist, His Body and Blood (Catholic)
-Adoring His Body and Blood in Adoration (Catholic)
-Knowing His Blessed Mother (Catholic)

Need I go on? :slight_smile:

You certainly need not! :grinning: This is the ideal list of things to do to have a good relationship with Christ. Thanks!

I thought that living a sacramental life was having a personal relationship with Christ.

With all due respect, why would you think any Catholic who was “into” their faith enough to be a regular poster here on this board somehow didn’t have a “real personal relationship with Jesus Christ”?

Or is this thread directed at people who are converting or trying to get back into faith practice?

Its for anybody who’s never heard of having a real, deep, personal relationship with Christ. That what the Priest is saying in the video.

As being in both Protestant and Catholic churches, we can be doing as the outward things, like going to mass, etc…, but does Christ have your heart.

The only True personal relationship with Jesus is through His Church, the Catholic Church. The Sacraments He instituted for us (I will be with you always) and His teachings (doctrine…if you love me you will obey my commandments).

I hope to grow in it every day.

I see. I asked partly because there seems to be an assumption by Evangelical Protestants that Catholics somehow do not have a personal relationship with Jesus or haven’t accepted Him as their personal savior. There are probably some cradle Catholics out there who were poorly catechized or who haven’t thought much about a relationship with Jesus personally, but the first time I ran into some Protestant asking me this question (I was about 18), I was completely baffled as to why he would think I did not. I said, “Of course I’ve accepted Jesus as my savior, I’m Catholic” which brought forth a tirade of anti-Catholic ranting from him so I just walked away and avoided such people in the future.

I grew up in the late 60s and 70s, which was a time when there was actually so much emphasis put by Catholic schools on the students each having a “relationship with Jesus” that there was often no time or emphasis spent on teaching us actual stuff we needed to know about Church teaching. It was constantly “Jesus, my brother”, “Jesus, my friend”, “Jesus, my savior”, et cetera.

We accept Jesus into our hearts and also physically into our bodies every single time we receive Holy Communion. That’s about as up close and personal as people can get.

I am waiting, like a snare, for the next claimed Chtisian (many evangelicals are not even baptized) to ask. Boy, do I have a response for them!

Now, I tend toward the hyperbolic and rhetorical, as we spend too little time in critical thinking these days.

I tell those of other denominations that, due to my absolute belief in the Eucharist, I would have to deny Christ to join them, and that I am not willing to do that. Once convicted of His True Presence, walking away strikes me as a denial or rejection.

I want non-Catholics to think about the Church as Christ founded it and handed it on.

Yes I do. Since I asked for forgiveness of my sins to Christ. Since Jesus is the way the truth and the life and NOBODY gets to The Father but through Him.

There is no possibly intimacy with Jesus on this Earth greater than receiving His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity in the Eucharist.

Yes, that’s true, but don’t you think a person can also just be going through the motions of receiving the Eucharist because that’s what their parents taught them, but not really know in a personal way Jesus Christ??

Example was Judas the betrayer.

Well, of course. There are half-believers and hypocrites in every walk of life.

Sin takes us away from Jesus in one way and also brings us back to Him in another.

I guess, as a sinner, i truly have a personal relationship with Jesus as i know that only He can forgive me with His unfathomable mercy, time and time again.

I recently heard that the church, Calvary Chapels are made up of 80% ex-Catholics. We need to know how to defend our faith when they ask us this question.

They will also ask you if you died today, are you assured of your salvation.

I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I don’t hold up my end of the bargain as well as I should.

I am a sinner. There are times when I knowingly sin which is turning my back to Jesus. I need to be a better partner and friend to my Personal Savior.

I have a personal relationship with Christ. I can’t brag about it. I should be a better friend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.