Do you have questions about Catholic beliefs & Practices

Thanks for all who participated on the now closed after 1020 post

Because there were several meaningful dialog s going; I’m starting this new Thread to God willing continue our discussions. Please join us…

Are there any questions you have regarding Catholic beliefs and or practices?

God Bless you,

Patrck

Constantine. Why is Constantine such a taboo topic? Many evangelicals still believe he (not Jesus) founded the Catholic church, yet there’s a scarcity of Constantine-related apologetics because nobody wants to talks about him. The belief that Jesus founded the church contrasted with many evangelicals’ belief that Constantine did. :shrug:

Thank you for this opportunity. Why do Catholics pray “in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” when there are no Bible verses (that I know of) that provide such direction?

Several Bible verses direct us to pray in the name of the Son only.

John 14:13 (KJV) Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do…
John 14:14 (KJV) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
John 16:24 (KJV) Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
John 15:16 (KJV) …that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
Colossians 3:17 (KJV) And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Of course, Jesus declared that baptism should be in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Matthew 28:19 (KJV) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

However, it seems to me a stretch to apply the direction for baptism to that of thanking and petitioning God If that is indeed what is happening. Thanks in advance,

Subscribing

I disagree::slight_smile:

The Edict of Milan is a part of RCC history. It was this single act that ties Catholicism and Constantine together:)

This action by Constantine freed up religious practice [heretofore the Church had been so severely persecuted that ti was literally driven underground into the catacombs.]l restored church properties and permitted the free practice of one’s CHOSEN FAITH [not just Catholicism]. .

Constantine’s motive for doing this [before he converted shortly before his death] was that he had conquered the entire known world and had deep concerns about being able to both govern it and to hold onto it. The RCC having spread to very much of that world proved to be a VERY effective tool, used by him in governance.

Constantine’s influence within the Church [doctrinally] was nil; his use of the Church was to aid his issues of governance; NOT religious beliefs themselves. His mother though was a very solid Catholic, and did influence him.

As to Constantine founding the RCC; his reign was hundreds of years AFTER the Death and Resurrection of Christ; and Constantine’s role within the Church is FAR more mythical than fact.

The Early Church Fathers understood from the beginning that Peter and his successors held a place of primacy in the Church.

Clement of Rome
Accept our counsel and you will have nothing to regret. . . . If anyone disobeys the things which have been said by him [Jesus] through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in no small danger. We, however, shall be innocent of this sin and will pray with entreaty and supplication that the Creator of all may keep unharmed the number of his elect (Letter to the Corinthians 58:2, 59:1**[A.D. 95])**.

Ignatius of Antioch
You [the See of Rome] have envied no one, but others have you taught. I desire only that what you have enjoined in your instructions may remain in force (Epistle to the Romans 3:1 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus
But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles. Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 inter A.D. 180-190]).

See more atCOLOR=“Blue”]:staycatholic.com/ecf_primacy_of_rome.htm

Thanks for doing this, Patrick. I sense you are a good man who understands his faith very well and who has the spiritual welfare of non-Catholics in mind. I applaud you for that. May God bless you for it.

Yesterday on the other thread you were speaking with Sunlight (?) about confessing one’s sins to a priest. I want you to clarify the Catholic position under the following scenario if that is ok, because it is possible I just misunderstood it a little.

Scenario:
A Christian (Catholic or Protestant) is by himself and is convicted of sin and is contrite of spirit and cries out to God, “Lord, please forgive my sins. I detest what I did and vow, with Your help, to never do it/them again. I turn away from my sins. Please forgive me”. **
Question:

Is it the Catholic position that God forgives him right then and there or would God say something to the effect, "Sorry, but your sins are not forgiven until you go to a priest (if you are Catholic) or until you become a Catholic (if you are Protestant)?.

I firmly believe God is a merciful God who forgives anyone who asks for forgiveness, provided they ask Him with a contrite and sincere spirit – period, regardless of whether he is in the presence of a Catholic priest or not when he asks for our Lord’s forgiveness.

If it is the Catholic position that God can and does forgive anyone who asks Him for forgiveness regardless of whether they are with a priest or not when they approach Him, I would be more receptive of the need to go to a priest to be absolved of my sins as a means of restoring a right relationship with the Church and His representatives on earth.

In other words, I could accept the Catholic position and potentially embrace it if the position is:

1. God forgives our sins and can forgive them directly without a priest, but the prescribed way that God established is to go to a priest, so we should obey God and do it that way.

2. Without the involvement of a priest it still leaves the person’s relationship with the Church and mankind in need of repair, for the lack of a better term, so therefore confessing one’s sins to a priest is necessary to restore one’s relationship with both God AND man and make things right as a whole. .

An analogy that comes to mind to illustrate where I am coming from:
If I sinned against my wife, I could ask God for forgiveness with a contrite spirit and He would forgive me, but things would still not be totally right until I also asked forgiveness from my wife.

Another analogy:
Someone kills another and asks God to forgive Him. God forgives him, but the man must still turn himself in to the authorities in order to be right with both God and man because he needs to pay for what he did, even if God forgave him.

Not sure if those are appropriate analogies, but it’s the best I could come up with.
Please correct me, from the Catholic perspective.

GREAT question & thanks for asking it:)

Your misunderstanding stems from not using, nor for that matter, correctly understanding just what it teaches. Because space is wisely limited here on CAF; my reply will be much briefer than this topic deserves. [Send me a private message if you want more information]

Mt. 3: 13-17
"Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him.But John stayed him, saying: I ought to be baptized by thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering, said to him: Suffer it to be so now. For so it becometh us to fulfill all justice. Then he suffered him.[permitted HIM]

And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water: and lo, the heavens were opened to him: [God the SON] and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him. [God the Holy SPIRIT] And behold a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased [God the FATHER]

My friend your prior religious formation does not [if I understand it correctly] hold to the truth of the Triune-Divinity of our God; nor of Jesus being a part of that same Trinity of One God. And yes, its one of the most complex and profound mysteries of Christianity.

We pray to God [Triune] MOST often through Jesus who for many Christians represents the God-head; as is that God-heads intent. Indeed that was a factor in the Incarnadine of Jesus who became a man “like us” in every way but sin. . BUT Jesus at one and the same time was always “Perfect God” holding unto his Perfect Divine nature; while At the SAME TIME; also a perfect human being having also a* human nature**.

Now as to Mt. 28: 18-20: That actually is a Lesson our how we are to pray as is the “Lord’s Prayer:” Our Father who art in heaven; hallowed Be Thy Name…"

In its essence prayer is a lifting up of ones mind AND heart to God; therefore prayer takes many forms; all of which find Godly acceptance.:thumbsup:

The Trinity as Our God-head is literally inseparable; yet consist of three persons. What one desires they ALL desire; the judgment of one is the Judgment of all. What one suffers all suffer.; what please one, please all. So that effectively praying to and through Jesus is prayer to the Divine Blessed Trinity.:slight_smile:

God Bless you and thanks for asking*

The Catholic position is expressed in CCCVII

There are two types of contrition
Perfect and imperfect

1451 Among the penitent’s acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52
How do I make an act of contrition?

Full Question
I have read that when a person is not yet able to receive the sacrament of confession, he can use the act of contrition. What specifically is that, and how does one make an act of contrition?
Answer
Contrition may be either perfect or imperfect. While perfect contrition forgives all sins, it does not relieve us of the obligation to go to confession. The Catechism explains:

In short your one and two is correct.

Originally Posted by Tommy999
In other words, I could accept the Catholic position and potentially embrace it if the position is:

1. God forgives our sins and can forgive them directly without a priest, but the prescribed way that God established is to go to a priest, so we should obey God and do it that way.
  1. Without the involvement of a priest it still leaves the person’s relationship with the Church and mankind in need of repair, for the lack of a better term, so therefore confessing one’s sins to a priest is necessary to restore one’s relationship with both God AND man and make things right as a whole.

That is the correct Catholic understanding.

While a person can be restored with Christ the head of the Church, that person should also be restored with the whole Christ, which includes the Church, which is his body (1 Cor 12:27).

“And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation” (2 Cor. 5:18 KJV)

Thanks, Spiderweb.

I too disagree. I don’t see what you base that Constantine is a taboo topic since I see it here. I have never seen a post or thread removed because it dealt with Constantine. What scarcity?
Did the Emperor Constantine found the Catholic Church?
Is just one of many articles I found in a very short time 30 seconds.
You have made this charge in at least two other threads. Each time you are answered yet you continue to make this untrue charge. What answer are you looking for? Are you trying to promote that Constantine started the Catholic Church? Well he didn’t.
guanophore gave a good answer

Thanks for clarifying things, Patrick, and thanks again for offering to help answer our questions. Much appreciated, sir :tiphat:
[/quote]

Type the thread title Constantine into the CAF search engine. It has been gone over numerous times on NCRs and Apologetics.

Easter 2016 will be one month before Passover.
Why?

Hi Tommy!

The Truth in terms of this very hot topic in Catholic-Protestant debates stems from** the statement of Our Lord Jesus to His Apostles alone** and also from the Letters of Saint John and Saint James:

1. “Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained” (John 20:23).

2. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity” (1 John 1:9).

3. “Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much” (James 5:16).

These three quotations display that the intention of God is that we are not only contra for our sins, but that we take this contrition to the ministers of His Church (priests, bishops, etc.) and receive His forgiveness through them. Can God forgive us on the spot if He wanted to? Most certainly! But the method that he has chosen and prescribed for us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation. As such, this practice is what we are bound to use.

May God bless you on your faith journey and always! :slight_smile:

Yes, in Jesus name … In his name, prayers are answered. In his name, he would be in our midst. Don’t quote me, but the doctrine of the Trinity necessitates us to believe that Jesus is God and God is one.

Praying in Jesus name is actually praying in God’s name. The more comprehensive understanding of that name must be the full description of the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Just my two cents.

PJM,
Here’s another one for you. The New Testament several places says that the Holy Spirit is received by the laying of hands (i.e., Acts 19:5,6; Acts 8:17). However, in a Catholic confirmation a single hand is used (see CCC 1300.) The CCC even refers to the laying of hands (plural) in CCC 1320, CCC 1289, and CCC 1288. What gives? Thanks in advance.

Hello, PJM. Thanks for the opportunity to ask something. I want to know: is there suffering in Purgatory? if so, what kind of suffering is it?

Your verses are good, but not enough. There are more that apply.

Jesus said in Lk11:4 that we should pray in this way: “And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us” We would not be directed to here ask for forgiveness if we could not be forgiven by doing such. There is no direction to go to a priest. There is no “Sacrament of Reconciliation” in scripture.:slight_smile:

Shalom,
Jerry

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.